Long time D* guy looking to get more HD and going to the dark side

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
Long time D* guy looking to get more HD and going to the dark side and try Dish. What is a good brand /model for HD DVR ? thanks:)

Last edited:
Madtown HD Junkie said:
Long time D* guy looking to get more HD and going to the dark side and try Dish. What is a good brand /model for HD DVR ? thanks:)

And Dish is the "Dark Side", WHY?

BTW, 622 is hard to beat. If it's working as it should (mine does), I've not seen any better.

I jumped ship when the 622 became available,and havent looked back.this after 6 years with D*.VERY happy with dish,but next football season will be the real test for me.

I think you're making a good move. I think I'm about to drop D* for E* or Comcast. We'll see.

LOTRingDings said:
And Dish is the "Dark Side", WHY?

BTW, 622 is hard to beat. If it's working as it should (mine does), I've not seen any better.

I always looked at it as a 2nd rate service. They never offered the ST andI am a huge football fan. But not that I have 3 HDTV's I would like to actually watch them instead of being told hang in there and u will get more hd from D* I will be needing to switch soon i believe. Dish has stepped up in my book and I have been a solid doubter of them.

Madtown, I was with VOOM DBS prior to E*. I never thought I would be with Dish Network, but I too have three HDTVs and they (DishHD) offer the best overall HD value at this time. FiOS TV may be available in my area in another year or two, and it's looking like the summer of 2007 will be a big year for D* and their national HD plans. Until then, it's either wait or go with DishHD...

If I were you, I would purchase a ViP622 from DishStore, and take lease two ViP211s w/ 18-month DishHD, free install, etc. If D* comes through next summer you can always sell your 622 and terminate your subscription (penalty is prorate at $13.33 x 6 months). Plus, perhaps you can subscribe to Sunday Ticket stand alone pack, if possible (I don't know much about D*).

Last year Claude at the DishStore was able to provide me with three HD receivers when I signed up under the VOOM promotion: paid the $250 HD DVR leased receiver upgrade fee, and he was able to provide me with two 811 rentals. Perhaps he can make you a similar offer with a 622 and two 211s.

Hang in There!!!

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I always looked at it as a 2nd rate service. They never offered the ST andI am a huge football fan. But not that I have 3 HDTV's I would like to actually watch them instead of being told hang in there and u will get more hd from D* I will be needing to switch soon i believe. Dish has stepped up in my book and I have been a solid doubter of them.
Hey Madtown HD Junkie...Ha ha, I also got tired of the promise of new HD by D* and made the switch to E* the 1st of this last February. I signed up with the HD Silver Package with Locals. The problem I have is that the Voom related HD package with 15 HD channels is on the 129 satellite and as I live north of Seattle and the 129 reception comes in terrible loosing different stations about every 30 to 45 minutes for a couple of minutes and then they reappear. A few weeks ago we started receiving our HD LIL Seattle/Tacoma programming and as far as I am concerned it is nothing to brag about. Our local ABC "KOMO TV" has lip sync problems with the Good Morning America show...HD broadcasting of the LIL Locals continually breaking up. All I can say is that I am totally disgusted with HDTV as it is today and I hope that somebody will get it figured out on how to get a decent HD broadcast delivered to the customer. I am hoping that the Verizon FiOS TV is going to be what I have been hoping for and that it will be available in our neighborhood sometime within the the next year or two. I still have 14 months to go with E*. Good Luck on what ever you decide!!!

I switched from D* to E* a few years back and have no regrets. I will admit that I almost switched to VOOM but they shut down before I did. I've been real happy with Dish since they started adding more HD channels.

Mario

I just switched from D* after 10 years on Monday. I am impressed with E* so far. The HD pq is equal or better & most SD channels are better, as well. The 622 is faster than my HD TiVo was, but not as user friendly. Overall, pq & number of HD channels won me over with no regrets, so far.

Madtown HD Junkie,

if you care to audition my 622 and the Dish HD offerings, I am a former West side snob who moved so far West that I now live in nearby Verona! ;)

After ditching Charter in 1997, I've been with Dish for more than a few years and have been resonably happy (not so much with the model 921, but Dish appears to have hit the mark with the 622).

PM me if interested.

Spence

E* hd line up vs D*

I was with E* for over 10 years than I got my HDTV talked to E* about HD and they said they were the HDTV leaders so I stayed with them then I looked at what E* had and WOW I dropped D* and went to E* I have the vip211 and WOW I'm glade I did E* is great. So if D* is the leader than they need to look at what their comp is doing because D* SUCKS!!!!!!

D* HDTV 900 hr

ESPN HD Channel 73

ESPN2 HD Channel 72

Universal HD Channel 74

Discovery HD Theater Channel 76

HDNet Movies Channel 78

HDNet Channel 79

TNT HD Channel 75

HBO HD

Showtime HD

E* HDTV 1700 hr

Animania HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
Discovery HD Theater
Equator HD
National Geographic Channel HD
DISH Network PPV in HD
Film Fest HD
HDNet Movies
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
World Cinema HD
HDNews
Rave HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
Starz HDTV
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NFL Network HD
Rush HD
WorldSport HD
Gallery HD
HDNet
HGTV HD
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD

So who is the leader I know It's E* unless you talk to D* they still think it's them..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts