Long time Dish Subcriber looking to upgrade but confused!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
I have been with Echo since pre- 18" dishes. I still have a 4000 that sits, unused, in the garage. I have recently upgraded to DP311 receivers. I am thinking that I would like to go to HD, since I have the TV for it, but I'm really not sure what it is going to cost or what receiver I would want. I don't care to record on a hard drive. My 2-head vcr is just fine for me. I hope that you folks can offer some advice.

thanks

I believe the current deal is $98 for the 211, Dish 1000 and installation, with a ten dollar credit mothly for ten months.

pabeader said:
I have been with Echo since pre- 18" dishes. I still have a 4000 that sits, unused, in the garage. I have recently upgraded to DP311 receivers. I am thinking that I would like to go to HD, since I have the TV for it, but I'm really not sure what it is going to cost or what receiver I would want. I don't care to record on a hard drive. My 2-head vcr is just fine for me. I hope that you folks can offer some advice.

thanks
I'm sorry but you are far too good to settle for a VCR. Get the HD DVR while its a steal. You'll thank yourself (and me) immensley within 3 days of using it.

A little more information...
I currently subscribe to Everything package plus locals. Have to be able to "sell" whatever I do to the Wifey.

Then go for the 622. It has two tuners and an OTA digital tuner.

If you currently have cable ran through your house to all your TV, any TV in the house can watch whatever is on either 622 sat tuner. And TV2 tuner can be remotely changed by the UHF-Remote. So there is almost never a conflict on who wants to watch what.

But with the DVR, you could have her watch a family movie with you, while she records a fashion show at the same time to watch later, or you could record a sports show. The best part about it, later she can watch the fashion show from anywhere's in the house using the UHF-Remote whenever she felt like it.

NOTE: The 622 over the air digital tuner is suppose to be Digital TV only, but I noticed the 622 menu shows analog. I haven't tired live TV since my reception here is very poor.

grb said:
I don't think you can record HD programs on a vcr...
You can, but the playback certainly won't be HD. It may even look worse than SD!

SmityWhity said:
...NOTE: The 622 over the air digital tuner is suppose to be Digital TV only, but I noticed the 622 menu shows analog. I haven't tired live TV since my reception here is very poor.
It is indeed digital only...

A vcr records at 240 lines and a HD recorder records at 1080 lines. A regular tv receives 480 lines of resolution and an HD tv receives 1080 lines. So a vcr does not even record at the resolution that a analog tv receives.

Didn't SVHS and 8mm do a good bit better than that, like maybe 400 lines ??

My comment about "may even look worse than SD" was a tongue-in-cheek stab at recent SD PQ which is certainly dubious at times...!

Last edited:
maybe move this to HD area???

Here are the specs from my TV. Am I going to notice/care about the HD-Lite issue?
I have NO HD source at this time, so nothing to compare it to.

It's a Hitachi 50VS810

720p High-Definition Display

Panel Resolution:................1280x720

VirtualHD™ 1080p Video Processor- Automatic 1080i 3:2 Film Processing

1080i/720p/480p/480i Input Compatible

It has two HDMI connections on the back.

I think I can talk to Wifey into the $49.00 upgrade to a 211/411.

If you ever try a DVR, you'll never go back to "live" tv.

But the wifey might want her own, so you'd better stay with the 211. ;^)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)