Long time! Just moved..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

airgator96

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2006
Kansas City BBQ Heaven
Hello everyone,

I haven't been around here in awhile. I just moved from Kansas City to Jacksonville, FL. Did my reception just get better or worse? ;)

Also, anything new on the HD side of things I should know before I start buying a new box?

I'd say it got worse. I think the central US is best place to be for reception... :)
Best current value in HD receivers is probably the Openbox s9 or s10 , prices are under $150 delivered. Has flaws, but lots of threads on it.
New receiver coming out, Manhattan Rs-1933, might be shipping next week for all we know. Basically same specs as Openbox s9, how it performs ( whether better or worse ) we don't really know ( unless the beta testers know ).
Both are DVB-S and DVB-S2 compliant units. If 4:2:2 video is a priority , the only new receiver choice is the Azbox line, which is pricier than the Openbox, but areguably does a lot more. You've got catching up to do. [edit] Just noticed you have a PCI setup, so for 4:2:2 , you can rely on that on SD feeds.
:)

Not much on Ku band . More on C-band . Many of the intermittent HD feeds that are available on Ku are DVB-S2 and you will find a 30" dish to be seriously challenged on S2 feeds. I'd recommend no smaller than a 1.0M Ku dish these days, and having a 6 foot C-band dish gives you a lot more programming.

There's PBS HD on 125, and NBC HD on 103. (With nonstandard audio, unfortunately.)

There are two areas where his reception should have got much better instead of worse, if he cares for those sorts of things: Mexican satellites and Atlantic satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)