Longhorn Network to launch on DISH on May 28.

Why am I stuck subsidizing a school network when that school is half a continent away?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Oh boy. Lets not get into this debate again. The same argument can be made with every channel that pay TV providers carry.

Oh boy. Lets not get into this debate again. The same argument can be made with every channel that pay TV providers carry.

Maybe so, but some of us are especially annoyed that this subsidizing is for ONE SCHOOL. ONE ARROGANT SCHOOL. Catering to a tiny fraction of the national audience . . . if it is 24/7 HD, I'm gonna vomit. We can't even get the PAC12 base channel in 24/7 HD.

I'm going to block channel 407 out of spite.

Yes, I mess with Texas. (At least the UT part.)

Sports are infinitely more expensive than most of the other packaged channels.

I know not everyone's crazy about it but Dish is becoming the place for college sports

I know that sports channels are more expensive but all those other channels that sports fans don't watch add up to a lot too. It's just a pointless argument that can only really be solved by having a different, a la carte type packages.

It makes me chuckle a little when you see numerous threads online about how people want providers to carry more and more channels and all of them in HD and when we finally do get them we get people that will complain about it. Just can't make everyone happy.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know that sports channels are more expensive but all those other channels that sports fans don't watch add up to a lot too. It's just a pointless argument that can only really be solved by having a different, a la carte type packages.

It makes me chuckle a little when you see numerous threads online about how people want providers to carry more and more channels and all of them in HD and when we finally do get them we get people that will complain about it. Just can't make everyone happy.
The Longhorn Network offers niche programming. The most valuable of which was already available to those that cared the most. I'd love to get more HD channels, but only if the channel offered something I wasn't already getting. Kind of like how we got STO, but that was just going to show what was on Fox Sports Ohio already!

I know that sports channels are more expensive but all those other channels that sports fans don't watch add up to a lot too. It's just a pointless argument that can only really be solved by having a different, a la carte type packages. It makes me chuckle a little when you see numerous threads online about how people want providers to carry more and more channels and all of them in HD and when we finally do get them we get people that will complain about it. Just can't make everyone happy. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is an RSN. There's no reason for it to be placed on the basic tier at a national level. It should be 120+ regionally and then sports pack for anyone else that's interested. Disney is abusing its bargaining position by making everyone pay for it and the SEC network.

This is an RSN. There's no reason for it to be placed on the basic tier at a national level. It should be 120+ regionally and then sports pack for anyone else that's interested. Disney is abusing its bargaining position by making everyone pay for it and the SEC network.

Yep, and the bottom line is there is NOTHING we can do about it.

So long as Congress takes payoffs (sorry, campaign contributions) from the TV industry there will never be any power from the little guy.

We're screwed, plain and simple.

I agree with you, it should be in the multi-sports package. Right now it's not going to be and right now our bills are not changing so you are actually getting an extra sports channel for no extra cost. Now, if our packages go up a couple more dollars within a few months then I say everyone has a legitimate gripe.

I agree with you, it should be in the multi-sports package. Right now it's not going to be and right now our bills are not changing so you are actually getting an extra sports channel for no extra cost. Now, if our packages go up a couple more dollars within a few months then I say everyone has a legitimate gripe.
But the annual price increases cover stuff like this. The price I'm paying for Longhorn Network certainly is minor (I hope, by being outside their area), but in aggregate, it isn't so small.

Did Charlie get the better of Disney in this mega-deal or did Dish get raped by the mouse? Given that we all have Longhorn and SEC on our basic tier, I'm thinking the latter . . .

Did Charlie get the better of Disney in this mega-deal or did Dish get raped by the mouse? Given that we all have Longhorn and SEC on our basic tier, I'm thinking the latter . . .

It's all just a matter of opinion. I'm sure there are thousands of very happy customers out there knowing that they are going to get the Longhorn Network and the SEC network.

You asked and it finally is coming and soon SEC as well can't wait for that to launch and I agree should be in the Sports package!! :)

The original reports about the network a few years ago indicated that ESPN was asking for 0.40 per customer. They wanted it to be required in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. They were agreeable to it being in premium tier packages for everyone else. If it is included in the basic package for most everyone, that will be almost 5 million per month that Dish will pay to ESPN for a channel that probably less than 5% of subscribers care about.

The business model that ESPN has been using is not sustainable. They pay outlandish prices to sports teams to get programming. They cannot pay for the programming with advertising. They use the fact that a large number of people would leave any provider that does not have ESPN to force providers to pay outlandish prices for the channels. For the Longhorn network a great majority(I would guess more than 95%) are subsidizing the programming for a very small minority.

I wonder if this will be included in DA Silver and above? ESPNews and ESPNU aren't even though they have now been launched in HD. :(

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

i think i'm in the camp that's happy to have The Longhorn Network, but i understand most are not happy it's being national, but to be fair, i rather have the channel only as an RSN and in Multi-sports outside of Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and West Virginia (the 4 states that are covered by the Texas Longhorn's respected conference, the Big XII conference.) but to be fair i think Disney and Dish agree to make it a national channel on Dish due to the fans of the schools the Horns face in college sports action wanting to be able to see it. it's national for those who want to see their team beat the Longhorns or get beat by them. and yes, The Longhorn Network cause nepotism in the Big XII conference which cause Texas A&M and the University of Missouri to say screw you, we want to be in the best conference in college sports right now, the SEC. meanwhile, Nebraska wanted out and left for the Big Ten conference and Colorado just pack their stuff and went to the Pac 12. but we replaced two of the 4 schools that left the Big XII with TCU and West Virgina. the remaining 8 schools in the Big XII including the Longhorns are a founding member of the Big XII conference which formed in 1996 which included members of the former Big 8 conference and the Southwestern Conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts