Look! Google Earth!!!

regisma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Hi,

You have to try Google Earth, you download it, you install it et voila.

Just type your postal code and here you go you can see your house,
plus the exact logitude and the latitude!!!

earth.google.com

Reg

ok.

but terraserver is for US locations mainly.

it does not work for addresses located in Canada.

Reg

Another difference: Google Earth uses images taken "within the last three years." Terraserver's pictures appear to be much older. Through Terraserver, the most recent picture of my neighborhood is listed as 10 years old but the picture must be at least 17 years old because a roadway built in 1989 is not in it. Google has suspended downloads of Google Earth so I can't speak for the authenticity of the "three years" statement.

chaddux said:
Google has suspended downloads of Google Earth so I can't speak for the authenticity of the "three years" statement.
I got in and can confirm that some, and I would even to venture to say many to most, of google earth's (and maps.google.com) are older then 3 years. Some areas have been rephotographed recently, but many places still have the older images from an old USGS scan of the country. If you look at the entire country view, you can quickly see which areas are already scanned at the higher resolution based off the color of the images. Low-res images are a grass-green color while high res images are usually brown or grey. For whatever reason, it appears that only Indiana (my homestate) and a few north east states have been fully scanned.

I was looking up images of Peoria, Il yesterday as I'm taking a trip there this weekend. It just so happes that 1/2 of Peoria is done high res, the other half (the important half) is done in low res. I've attached various different captures from different "eye altititudes" so that you can see the differences. You can see the same differences if you look at Peoria at maps.google.com. I've also attached a whole country image so that you can see which areas have been scanned high res already. The highest res scannes I beleive are at 1/2 meter while the lower scans are at 2m or more.

The high-res scans also don't just pertain to the US. Baghdad, Paris, and Kabul for example also have high res imags.

Attachments

• 998.jpg
    998.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 5017.jpg
    5017.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 9966.jpg
    9966.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 19980.jpg
    19980.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 174
  • usa.jpg
    usa.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 174
What about area 51? *grin*

Maybe google earth got shut down by Big Brother. ;)

In the wrong hands, the information could be an asset.

Just my $.02

Cool, I just found my uh, house? The pic is from 2000 and it wasn't even built yet. I live in a new subdivision and the streets aren't even in yet in this picture, just a crude dirt oval road and culdesac.