Looking at my options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinmike87

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I joined because I am looking for the best information on what to do about my TV options. I have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now, and have seen lots of great information. But now it’s time for my first post…

I am looking for advice. My situation is this. I have an HD-ready TV (no HD tuner). I am currently a D* subscriber with Total Choice, Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, and the regional sports package, but no HD. We have the D* TiVo (the 80-hour one). I am looking at the possibility to go HD, and it seems like at the moment I have three options.

1. I have seen discussion on here where D* is offering a free HD TiVo to Sunday Ticket subscribers. I could go that way and maybe get HD now.

2. I called a couple weeks ago about a separate issue and they ended up saying I have a $200 credit when the new MPEG-4 unit comes out. So I could wait and just get the new unit.

3. I could switch to Dish, which is offering their HD DVR for $199 at the moment. I would lose Sunday Ticket, of course, but that isn’t totally critical at the moment.

I would just like to get your opinions on these three options. As further information, neither service currently offers HD locals in my area, but that’s no biggie as the stations are nearby and I can bring them in with an OTA antenna.

Some aside questions. I know D* says they will have about 150 HDs by next year? How many is E* projecting? How about the RSNs in HD? Does either have any plans in this area?

I appreciate any help all of you smart people can give me.

I would call DirecTV for the free HD Tivo. I don't know how many HD channels E* will be able to have, but we do know how many DirecTV will be capable of having next year which should be way more than E* will have.

Staying with DirecTV will be your cheapest option now, and within the next year you will have the most HD available anywhere.

If Sunday Ticket isn't critical, I'd switch to E*. I switched about a week ago and have no regrets.

Has there been any guess on how much the new D* HD DVR will cost? That's one thing I'm looking at. If I can get the free upgrade now, then get a reduced price on the new one, that seems to make sense. But maybe it makes more sense just to wait and take the $200 credit on the new one?

i just got the free HR10-250 and asked about the HR20-250 when it does come out, the CSR told me the cost will be comparable to the HR10-250 when it first came out ($1000.00 i think thats what they were going for when they first came out )

penguinmike87,

I would opt for option 2.

2. I called a couple weeks ago about a separate issue and they ended up saying I have a $200 credit when the new MPEG-4 unit comes out. So I could wait and just get the new unit.

You appear that HD is not critical at this point, and do not have a HD tuner.
If you decide to hold out for the MPEG 4 hd dvr, you have $ 200 to apply towards it.

I do not thik it will be $ 1000 when it comes out, matter of fact I expect it to be a lease unit.

Which ever way you go, If you get a HD receiver you will then be able to get the HD experience from you TV that has been missing so far.

If you get the H-20 or wait for teh HR20-250 both are MPEG4 capable, so you will be ready for the newest format available.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts