Looking at my options

penguinmike87

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I also posted this in the D* forum.

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I joined because I am looking for the best information on what to do about my TV options. I have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now, and have seen lots of great information. But now it’s time for my first post…

I am looking for advice. My situation is this. I have an HD-ready TV (no HD tuner). I am currently a D* subscriber with Total Choice, Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, and the regional sports package, but no HD. We have the D* TiVo (the 80-hour one). I am looking at the possibility to go HD, and it seems like at the moment I have three options.

1. I have seen discussion on here where D* is offering a free HD TiVo to Sunday Ticket subscribers. I could go that way and maybe get HD now.

2. I called a couple weeks ago about a separate issue and they ended up saying I have a $200 credit when the new MPEG-4 unit comes out. So I could wait and just get the new unit.

3. I could switch to Dish, which is offering their HD DVR for $199 at the moment. I would lose Sunday Ticket, of course, but that isn’t totally critical at the moment.

I would just like to get your opinions on these three options. As further information, neither service currently offers HD locals in my area, but that’s no biggie as the stations are nearby and I can bring them in with an OTA antenna.

Some aside questions. I know D* says they will have about 150 HDs by next year? How many is E* projecting? How about the RSNs in HD? Does either have any plans in this area?

I appreciate any help all of you smart people can give me.