Looking at upgrading to a 622 BEFORE I get the HD TV

phonegunner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
We have the 522 DVR now .. and are looking at moving it into the other room to replace the 322 and in actuality replacing the 322 with a 622 HD DVR...

I do not need to replace the TV now ... but am wondering what PQ issues I am going to end up experiencing with using the S-Video to feed the NON-HD Big Screen TV that is in service now ... (the TV will be replaced in the future .. just not now)

Of course the main drive into the 622 is the USB port speed for a pocket dish...

So.. to sum it up... will my HD viewing be a waste using the S-Video into the TV ?

And in 1 million words or less... of course ...

Thanks,

Ted...

Well the PQ will be just as good with the 622 connected to a non hd tv if not slightly better using a s-video connection, but it would by no mean be close to the PQ if you were using a real HD tv and thear would be no real point in carrying HD programming W/O a HD tv unless you just want the programming.

I have a 622 connected to a SD TV via the component input and on the HD channels the picture quality is very good. Much better than the 501 that I was using. (SD channels look about the same). Most newer SD TVs have 600-800 line resolution through their video inputs. This is much better than the 330 line resolution of a SD broadcast. If a DVD looks good on your TV, the HD channels should look slightly better.

I am using a 211 and soon will be adding another 622 to my collection and will be running this one on my 61 in Sony Projection TV. The 211 looks fine and the HD stations look like a DVD in quality. The kids have kinda taken over this downstairs TV and love Monsters HD and KungFU so with them it's programming over video quality.

Also would be a good way to get any bugs out of the 622 if you have any. Then it should be all set to really enjoy without interuption when you have your new tv.
Dave.

Unless you purchase the 622 you will have to subscribe to an HD package. You can still watch the extra HD channels on your regular tv though. The 622 will downconvert them to SD.

Unless they release a software version that screws up your perfect working 622 which they did a few days ago.

I remember back when Dish would not allow you to have a 622 with a a SDTV. Glad they allow it now.

Pepper said:
you probably have to own it, and pay a "no hd" monthly fee.

I would still get the HD package as it would look better than their SD counter parts, just letterboxed.

Dish 1000 in CT ????

L3.40 Firmware for VIP211

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)