Looking for a replacement motorised satellite receiver !

sub101uk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
london
Since we have the lock down in the UK I thought I would fire up my old sat system but its very clear many things have changed , About 30 years ago I had a large motorised sat system installed the receiver was a Echostar ad 3600ip this would run my 36 inch jack and my Ku/C band Chaparral Corotor . My problem is this the Echostar is only good for MPEG-2 the problem is now days that most use MPEG-4 so I need to replace the receiver .But its not as straight forward as that as I have a 36 inch Jack and a Chaparral Corotor with Skew to control . The feed back I have been getting is keep the Echostar to drive the jack and skew and just buy a separate receiver this sounds ok but I would have to keep switching from one screen to the other on the TV thats going to be a pain .

Or

Buy a ADC1 for Jack and Skew and use a new Sat receiver for MPEG-4 .

Or

Find a replacement sat receiver that does MPEG-4 and has got jack control and skew control there maybe not much of a demand in the UK but there are millions of motorised sat system all over the world and I dont think there using 2 boxes one fpr receiver and one for Jack + Skew .

If I get no joy I will have a chat with Echostar assuming there still in Holland .

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Echostar.PNG
    Echostar.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 303
Since we have the lock down in the UK I thought I would fire up my old sat system but its very clear many things have changed , About 30 years ago I had a large motorised sat system installed the receiver was a Echostar ad 3600ip this would run my 36 inch jack and my Ku/C band Chaparral Corotor . My problem is this the Echostar is only good for MPEG-2 the problem is now days that most use MPEG-4 so I need to replace the receiver .But its not as straight forward as that as I have a 36 inch Jack and a Chaparral Corotor with Skew to control . The feed back I have been getting is keep the Echostar to drive the jack and skew and just buy a separate receiver this sounds ok but I would have to keep switching from one screen to the other on the TV thats going to be a pain .

Or

Buy a ADC1 for Jack and Skew and use a new Sat receiver for MPEG-4 .

Or

Find a replacement sat receiver that does MPEG-4 and has got jack control and skew control there maybe not much of a demand in the UK but there are millions of motorised sat system all over the world and I dont think there using 2 boxes one fpr receiver and one for Jack + Skew .

If I get no joy I will have a chat with Echostar assuming there still in Holland .

Many Thanks

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Try posting this in the FTA section instead of the DISH support for more views and better results. IF you can find one, since they are now discontinued, I would recommend a Titanium ACS1 dish mover and a modern satellite receiver like the Edision OS MIO. The ASC1 controls moving the dish and corotor automatically and is a solid unit. The Edision MIO is a linux based receiver capable of 4K resolution and is available in single or dual tuner versions. Contact Titanium for more info.

Info about ASC1 (Discontinued):

Thanks Guys for the feed back well after talking to others I have bought a Technomate TM-5402 since that receives MPEG-2 + 4 however there is no control for the Dish or the Corotor . Yes I did look at the ASC1 however after speaking to others who have used them they thought it was better to get Reseach Concepts Rc 1500 or RC2000A Dual Axis but for the time being I will use the Echostar to drive the Jack + Corotor . But there is allot of outstanding maintenance with the system .But very hard to find any thing in the UK any more like Ku-Band Quad Multiband LNB (switchable) With a WD-75 Flange to fit the corotor .

Looking at the manual for the Reseach Concepts Rc 1500 I got the impression that it doesn't work with diseqc commands?

Reactions: FTA4PA
i've used the RC-2000A about 25 years ago. Great positioner for tracking inclided-orbit satellites, built like a tank, but not really suited to home use. No Diseqc control, no remote...

As for the Technomate TM-5402, while certainly a capable receiver, be aware that it is a discontinued model, and does not support HEVC or 4K... I'm not aware of any current receivers that have controls for the corotor, and it appears that the TM-5402 does USALS but maybe not Diseqc 1.2

Many Thanks for the feed back guys well the update from this end is I did buy a TM-5402 as for my dish I have now got 3 new support arms that need to be fitted while that off I think I will change out the corotor as the skew motor no longer works I have check and to can turn it by hand so I can only assume the motor has gone down since its been up for over 30 years the corrosion is very bad on the neck and scalar ring . I have bought a replacement so I will change out the whole thing . Which brings me to the LNBs Been looking to replace the LNB with a
SMW Ku-Band Quad Multiband LNB (switchable) Q-PLL Type Ror Type E but finding it very hard to find one and the ones that are available they are asking silly money for since one is 9 + the other 11 years old and there looking form £480 - £519 pounds found a few states side but by the time you pay import duty its not worth it as for buying from SMW that only deal with trade however they would sell me a Type R for £850 so we shall see .

Which bring me to Jack + Skew control at the moment I am using the old Echostar for Jack and Skew control as getting so much bad feed back regarding the ASC1 regarding the PSU not coping with a large Jack and Dish . But from looking at your comments regarding Reseach Concepts single and dual axis controller thats not going to be suitable since no
Diseqc 1.2 so looks like the only option will be the ASC1 or keep using the Echostar .

So the fun and games will start when I start trying to remove the old support arms nuts that have been there for over 30 years I will try WD40 and if all else fails cut the nuts off with the dremel . Thanks again for all the feed back as I was not aware that the R/C controller was not suitable .

Attachments

• Inside corotor-min.jpg
    Inside corotor-min.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 233
  • Corotor 1990 Second Hand.JPG
    Corotor 1990 Second Hand.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Dish Mount B-min.jpg
    Dish Mount B-min.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 228
  • Dish mount C-min.jpg
    Dish mount C-min.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 222
Many Thanks for the feed back guys well the update from this end is I did buy a TM-5402 as for my dish I have now got 3 new support arms that need to be fitted while that off I think I will change out the corotor as the skew motor no longer works I have check and to can turn it by hand so I can only assume the motor has gone down since its been up for over 30 years the corrosion is very bad on the neck and scalar ring . I have bought a replacement so I will change out the whole thing . Which brings me to the LNBs Been looking to replace the LNB with a
SMW Ku-Band Quad Multiband LNB (switchable) Q-PLL Type Ror Type E but finding it very hard to find one and the ones that are available they are asking silly money for since one is 9 + the other 11 years old and there looking form £480 - £519 pounds found a few states side but by the time you pay import duty its not worth it as for buying from SMW that only deal with trade however they would sell me a Type R for £850 so we shall see .

Which bring me to Jack + Skew control at the moment I am using the old Echostar for Jack and Skew control as getting so much bad feed back regarding the ASC1 regarding the PSU not coping with a large Jack and Dish . But from looking at your comments regarding Reseach Concepts single and dual axis controller thats not going to be suitable since no
Diseqc 1.2 so looks like the only option will be the ASC1 or keep using the Echostar .

So the fun and games will start when I start trying to remove the old support arms nuts that have been there for over 30 years I will try WD40 and if all else fails cut the nuts off with the dremel . Thanks again for all the feed back as I was not aware that the R/C controller was not suitable .

Not sure what is available on your side of the pond but some kind of rust penetrant ( I use PB Blaster) is a must. Soak it for several days and reapply daily. Does wonders to free up things that you would swear will never come apart. Good luck! :)

Hi FTA4PA Thanks for the feed back yes I think one of the other guys did say that there was some other oil that I could try over in the UK we have WD40 or if say working on a engine you can use heat but this is a 3.7m spun aluminium dish so cant use heat so its going to be a hacksaw job cutting across the nut , Use the dremel with a small cutting wheel or a nut splitter these nuts have been on these rods for over 30 years so there going to fight all the way .We cant buy stuff from the US due to the high import duty which is 25% mad as it sounds

Attachments

• Rust on Arms nuts.JPG
    Rust on Arms nuts.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 203
Hi FTA4PA Thanks for the feed back yes I think one of the other guys did say that there was some other oil that I could try over in the UK we have WD40 or if say working on a engine you can use heat but this is a 3.7m spun aluminium dish so cant use heat so its going to be a hacksaw job cutting across the nut , Use the dremel with a small cutting wheel or a nut splitter these nuts have been on these rods for over 30 years so there going to fight all the way .We cant buy stuff from the US due to the high import duty which is 25% mad as it sounds
I've used both WD40 and PB Blaster and the latter is definitely superior in my opinion. No experience with this product but it apparently is available in the UK.

I've never used it but have used other Lucas products and was pleased with their quality so worth a try if PB Blaster is not available. :)

Thanks FTA4PA I will drop them a email and find out if there is any local dealers in my area or maybe I can find some on ebay or amazon , My local Halfords is open I can check there but I have a large can of WD40 so the nuts will be removed or cut off but I will wait until the corotor arrives .

Thanks FTA4PA I will drop them a email and find out if there is any local dealers in my area or maybe I can find some on ebay or amazon , My local Halfords is open I can check there but I have a large can of WD40 so the nuts will be removed or cut off but I will wait until the corotor arrives .
You're welcome! Hope all goes well! :)

The TM5402 is a nice STB. It does do Diseqc 1.2 and USALS. (BUT) , you cannot use the SAVE diseqc position button on the remote, if you use both USALS and Diseqc 1.2, when you press the save position button on the remote, it changes everything to Diseqc 1.2 ... As long as you don't save the position from the remote, your good to go and can use both Diseqc 1.2 and USALS. If your just using Diseqc 1.2, no problems.

As mentioned, it doesn't handle the latest HEVC h.265 codec, but here in the U.S., its still not that prevalent.. Maybe different at your location.

Thanks iB for your input yes for over 30 years this system has been sitting here but its clear that lots have changed in 30 years as my old Echostar no longer works since its MPEG2 and the format now is MPEG4 so I bought a TM5402 which I understand covers that the problem is there is no dish or skew control for the corotor so I thought I had 3 options :
1. Use the Echostar for dish and skew control
2. Use a ASC1 but getting very mixed feed back on that regarding its PSU .
3. Buy a Reseach Concepts single or dual axis controller thats but just found out that has not got no Diseqc 1.2
4. find a suitable receiver that has dish + skew control for the corotor that can receive MPEG4

It sounds like the TM5402 might be able to do Diseqc 1.2 so half way there but like you say things maybe different in the UK .

Good old DOT 3 brake fluid is a great penetrant. But it will screw up paint.
Any decent rust penetrant will work. Tapping the hardware with a hammer and buck bar will help it sink in.
I have no issues with my ASC-1 driving a 12 foot fiberglass dish even at -10 f.
Your actuator has to work smoothly. Gooked-up grease wont help that.
A worn or weathered motor might benefit from a cleaning and lube.
Drill a hole bottom center of the actuator just big enough to thread in a Zerk 2 or so turns and pump in some good low temp grease if you don't want to take it apart.

Thanks Guys for the feed back on the ASC1 yes the amount of feed back I have had regarding the PSU and that it requires mods my jack is a 36 inch 36 volt Thomson Saginaw Actuator with Hall Effect Sensor it works fine with the Echostar Ad-3000IP but it would seem that the Reseach Concepts single and dual axis controller thats not going to be suitable since no Diseqc 1.2 so my only option is the ASC1 or use the Echostar . The Dish is a 3.7 spun aluminium .

Attachments

• 36 inch Thomson.JPG
    36 inch Thomson.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 207
$1500 and no DiSEqC, I guess you do ;)
yes, but we were comparing transformers at this point. :)
If you want to move a large dish with little or no interruption, current handling capabilities is important.

(Total aggregate user experience is a different thing... As Brct203 says above, "not really suited to home use. No Diseqc control, no remote...")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts