Status
Not open for further replies.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
As I mentioned, I am working on a (political) website and am thinking of adding a forum too. I would be interested in knowing how much you feel a moderator should allow? Anything within reason or no personal attacks of any kind? And how do you define an "attack"? :confused:

I might need my head examined for considering this at all! :)

"I might need my head examined for considering this at all! "

Exactly! What is your motivation and or reward for this effort? I was wondering if you are just someone who likes to throw two into a ring and watch them fight for your personal amusement.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on doing something that not only benefits others but yourself in the process. This way you'd be motivated to continue it when the going gets tough. Use Scott as your role model. When he approached me with this website idea years ago I was very excited for him because I knew he had a formula for success for others as well as for himself. The last part is very important because without that, you'll give up when things don't go as planned. Anyway- good luck with it!

I personally feel, moderators, should not allow any personal attacks, it's not neccessary and frankly bullying. If you have a position or an opinion, i would like to debate it with you, but not be attacked coz i am making grammatical errors or that i must be deficient in some way because my opinion is different.
Healthy and good debate is fine when it remains focused on the issue and not on the person. It's just not constrcutive and in some cases is counter productive and also limits the people who want to contribute but cant because of fear of being picked up on every issue, their point of view is just as valid as any other.

Well, I do have a few ads there already but it is a slow process with advertising as it takes time for the search engines to find you. I will also ask for donations as they do here.

Thanks

Don Landis said:
"I might need my head examined for considering this at all! "

Exactly! What is your motivation and or reward for this effort? I was wondering if you are just someone who likes to throw two into a ring and watch them fight for your personal amusement.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on doing something that not only benefits others but yourself in the process. This way you'd be motivated to continue it when the going gets tough. Use Scott as your role model. When he approached me with this website idea years ago I was very excited for him because I knew he had a formula for success for others as well as for himself. The last part is very important because without that, you'll give up when things don't go as planned. Anyway- good luck with it!

I feel the same as you. I have participated in political discussions here and while I have voiced strong opinions, I try never to attack the individual.

gbjbany said:
I personally feel, moderators, should not allow any personal attacks, it's not neccessary and frankly bullying. If you have a position or an opinion, i would like to debate it with you, but not be attacked coz i am making grammatical errors or that i must be deficient in some way because my opinion is different.
Healthy and good debate is fine when it remains focused on the issue and not on the person. It's just not constrcutive and in some cases is counter productive and also limits the people who want to contribute but cant because of fear of being picked up on every issue, their point of view is just as valid as any other.

T2k, After I reply to this you are going back on ignore. I took you off ignore because I got tired of reading threads you were involved in and not seeing your posts. It was hard to read everyone replying to you and not being able to read your posts. Makes it hard to follow a conversation.

It is clear to me that you can not draw a line between attacking the individual, and attacking the opinion. To you it is all the same. You seem intelligent, yet are ignorant to your own attacks.

I respect your opinions, but as it is with the majority (not all) of the people on your side, having an intelligent conversation about the issues is not an option with you. I have plenty of "liberal" friends one is even my business partner, which I get along with just fine. I love to debate, but their is no debate without attack with you. Gallup has the First Lady's approval rating at 82%, but yet you called her a "Bi*ch", and now you use Jes*s name in post attacking someone. Does it ever end with you?

If you don't like the current administration I am fine with that. That's your opinion. Do something to change it or shut your big mouth, and go the heck back to where you came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
T2K is on a little vaction for him to cool off a bit.

Everyone has an opinon and thats fine but no need for personal attacks.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
As I mentioned, I am working on a (political) website and am thinking of adding a forum too. I would be interested in knowing how much you feel a moderator should allow? Anything within reason or no personal attacks of any kind? And how do you define an "attack"? :confused:

I might need my head examined for considering this at all! :)

If you do go forward with the forums, I will jump aboard! I feel that political debating is a good thing. It does not matter what side of the isle you are on, or what stand on the issue you take. It is healthy for all American's to debate anything especially politics. The leaders in our federal, state, and local government's play the most important role in our earthly lives, so we should never feel like debating issues, or politics is out of place anywhere, (even the Chit-Chat club of Satellite guys)! :)

If I was a moderator on a site like that, I would definitely expect to stay busy with monitoring people making it "personal". When it comes to debating politics, the lines are a little different with personal attacks. An example of an attack that I think is allowed would be: "You and your liberal party are unintelligent and need to pull together a sense of understanding of the Majority in this country if you plan to not look any more like a fool"!. That is making a solid point of why they are unintelligent, and a fool. Don't call them unintelligent and a fool with out a sound reason. This would be the same point with unacceptable attacking. "You and your Liberal A#$ Ho&# friends can plan on eating Sh!%, until you come to grasp with what the majority in this country want". First of all Eating feces has nothing to do with unintelligent, and no one person is made of nothing but an A^# Ho*&. (Only people who park crooked at grocery stores are)!

Deliberately calling someone a name such as Idiot, Dumb, Stupid, Ass, or more severe cuss words should always be out of line. Attacking their Idea as stupid, should not be. You also can always tell when the the thread gets heated up. You can just sense the timidness of about 4-6 posts, and they will always end with nothing but an insult to individuals who are debating. And at that point the thread is dead. That can happen quickly or it can take a while, but threads do have a "life" to how long they last. You can always tell when its going to run out when people are just insulting each other, or saying the same thing in a different way, or things are getting blatantly repeated. A good moderator should be "wise" to recognize these things. :)

gbjbany said:
Brian,

Interesting post given the theme of the thread, but i wonder if you meant to post this in the other OP thread about LA immigration ? :)

I'm sorry, he just got to me this morning. My aplogies to all, normally I don't let crap like that bother me but I've had a bad week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts