Looking for Advise in Getting HD Programming.

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I just got HDTV few weeks ago. I have been looking and comparing different provider for best HD contents for its money. I don't want three figure bill during $4 a gallon gas times, perheps keep my bill around $40-50.

After shopping for while and hearing about new 20 channels from dish (minus 10 voom ch), I think I will go with $30 dishHD package to start with. I have few questions that I would rather ask SAT. community than sales rep who always tell me what I like to hear:

- dish CSR said DVR cost is included, is he mistaking or is it really included (with 2 year contract) ? I taught it was $6 on top of $30 programming.

- If rep is wrong, then can I save this fee by buying my own VIP722 from ebay etc? or dish is gonna charge me one or the other????

- dish offer 4 local HD ch, but we have 7 ch that are providing HD content in Dallas TX. Is worth paying $5 month , or should I invest $50-70 in good outdoor antenna and use it with VIP722 ?

- Will 722 be able to integrate OTA local ch with DVR and share across the 2nd TV? and record OTA programming in HD/SD?

- How can I ask for cinemax for penny ? what is the catch and how to get it? is this reward for paperless billing? should I ask for when signing up for service or later once I have service?

- any other prgramming package that you might recommend?

Thank for reading my post.

- dish CSR said DVR cost is included, is he mistaking or is it really included (with 2 year contract) ? I taught it was $6 on top of $30 programming.
They might have had you signed up for the Dishin' it up program or whatever it is called that covers part of this. It would save you around $3 I think.

- If rep is wrong, then can I save this fee by buying my own VIP722 from ebay etc? or dish is gonna charge me one or the other????
That would save you the leasing fee. You'd still have the HD access fee

- dish offer 4 local HD ch, but we have 7 ch that are providing HD content in Dallas TX. Is worth paying $5 month , or should I invest $50-70 in good outdoor antenna and use it with VIP722 ?
Get an antenna and you can still get all 7 of those channels. I doubt Dish will ever be getting any of your other 3 hd channels (and are they really hd, or more like the weather station or a special digital channel?) Go with the locals, even if you will mainly rely on the antenna. Getting locals is the only way you'll get the guide data.

- Will 722 be able to integrate OTA local ch with DVR and share across the 2nd TV? and record OTA programming in HD/SD?
Yes quite easily, especially if you subscribe to the locals.

- How can I ask for cinemax for penny ? what is the catch and how to get it? is this reward for paperless billing? should I ask for when signing up for service or later once I have service?
You need paperless billing and autopay. They'll still send you an email when your statement is ready and then you'll get automatically charged.

- any other prgramming package that you might recommend?
Here's how my charges lay out which will give you a good idea:
dishHD WITH LOCALS 34.99
CLUBDISH CR 11 OF 12 - ADJUSTMENT -5.00
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 7.00
PROGRAMMING ACCESS FEE 5.00

The programming access fee is because I don't have a land line phone. The clubdish is because I recommended Dish to someone (I'm going to miss that discount). Pretty good deal overall.

Anyone else feel free to chime in with more thoughts.

$7 leased receiver fees? Damn, I thought the $5 no-phone-line was Bullsh!t, that's the same as Time-Warner's lease fees. Is the first one at least free like DirecTV's?

Go with the locals, even if you will mainly rely on the antenna. Getting locals is the only way you'll get the guide data...

Are you sure about it. The reason I asked because 722 manual says otherwise on page 110.

hxxp://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/user_guides_and_manuals/vip722/Chapter12.pdf

It sounds like it can program OTA air channel to show up in guide. since it is built DTV ATSC tuner, it should receive EPG for OTA streams. Has anyone setup their local this way or am I misunderstanding this concept.

That horse has been beat to death many times. The ViP receivers ignore any ATSC EPG data in favor of the Dish EEPG, which includes the stations that are in their SD locals package. If you don't subscribe to locals, the OTAs will all say "Digital Service" and you'd have to set recordings manually.

To populate a guide from ATSC, the tuner would have to scan each channel periodically as they all have their own guide. There are also discrepancies in how well the individual stations follow the guide standard and how useful their info actually is. These are just two of the reasons Dish decided to provide their own EPG data.

The package that includes the DVR fee and saves $3.95 is called DVR Advantage. It starts at AT200 and you can add premiums, HD-essential or AT250 for an additional $10 each (HD-ultimate $20). I don't believe there is a version of it that corresponds to the HD-only package.

I am pretty sure the first lease fee is waived or included in the base price.

I do know that with the HD only, locals and misc fees...my bill is $41.

That is HARD to beat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)