Looking for an EHD that reliably works with the Hopper 3

docdaddy you might need a replacement H3. My EHD never disconnects and I've tried a couple different EHD's both self powered and hub powered without issues.
Before requesting ask if they can escalate to higher level tech support and explain everything. You have done a factory reset I assume.

What is a "factory reset" and what does it impact?

Factory reset will wipe everything most likely, just like new and starting over. Not 100% positive, but to be safe if you can back up all recordings first, Its under diagnostics and tools.

So what happens to the Hopper 3 every night that results in my EHDs - both of them - being "lost?" After I do a couple of red button resets to get them back, they tend to stay recognized until we go to bed at night, but the next morning at 6 am (when I get up for work) they're both missing from my H3 DVR list. Every day since the 344 update hit (and I have the 345.)

I'm switching out the EHD to USB cables with a couple of high quality ones today, but I suspect that isn't the issue since it happens to two separate EHDs from different manufacturers with their own USB cables. Both are pretty new, one is brand new.

I hesitate to do something radical like a factory reset for fear of losing all my recordings (we have a ton) and timers etc, though I suppose if the last resort is a new Hopper 3 I'll face that anyway. I really wish I could get someone at tech support at Dish who is really good to talk through this; as nice as she was, I have no interest in talking to someone like I did last time where I had to teach HER where a couple of functions were on the H3.

This must be a coincidence, and I'll wait a few days to see if it's real - but yesterday afternoon I replaced the EHD-USB cables on my WD MyBoot Desktop EHD and also on my new Seagate EHD (which goes through a powered USB port) just as something to try. New USB cables that are supposedly well build. The cable run is so short I don't believe it can really make much difference.

But this morning when I woke up and checked my DVR, both EHDs were there. First morning since 344 hit that this is true.

I'll believe it if they don't disappear in coming days.

Welp, got up this morning and the EHD's were missing again from the DVR list. Not sure why I had one night where they made it to the next morning but apparently the USB cable change didn't fix anything.

Every freaking morning. Does the Hopper 3 do some kind of something in the early AM that could cause it to lose the drives???

Every freaking morning. Does the Hopper 3 do some kind of something in the early AM that could cause it to lose the drives???
Your receiver will do either a full or partial reset every night following nightly programming and software updates.

Your receiver will do either a full or partial reset following nightly programming software updates. This happens on every and all receivers.

Interesting, that a reset is likely causing my H3 to lose my EHD (especially since a red button reset is what's required to get it back!)

I am having the same problem. After the last software push on March 7 my EHD will no longer connect. On the phone with technicians and even dirt but no solution could be found.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

How do I name my EHDs? We sometimes lose our drives and doing a red button reset brings them back. The problem we have is the drive named "External Hard Drive 1" sometimes becomes "External Hard Drive 2" and vice versa. If we miss this, movies get copied to the wrong drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)