Looking for comprehensive help ... before my head explodes!

Leembo

Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Brevard County, FL.
Hi everyone. Due to the fact that we've lost our pensions as a direct result of corporate scandals during the past 10 years we've been trying to live a more frugal way of life while still trying to enjoy some of the finer things such as local TV, movies, music, internet, etc. We spent 5 years in Germany where millions of people have free satellite TV. You go to the store ... buy a dish and receiver ... hook everything up to your lnb, receiver, dish, and TV with appropriate cables ... power everything on and you're in business. Local channels are standard since all big name channels offer Satellite availability for free. If you want PayTV and events, you find the provider of choice on the internet ... order their service ... pop the mailed plastic card into your receiver ... and off you go with hundreds of channels (without the plastic card) and tons of movies. Voila, mission accomplished !!!

After we returned from Germany back to the USA we wanted to continue with satellite TV but the massive amount of options are simply unreal as well as confusing. Streaming movies with Miro is just not an option because the Miro guide is horrible. You can spend hours just looking for one particular TV show or movie. That's just crazy.

We love movies ... we don't need a local phone line ... and we practically live online (not for movie viewing though) with 4 running computers in our home and a 50" HD TV for TV viewing and movies.

I'm desperately trying to figure out how we can have local channels, PayTV movies like HBO/Showtime, and extremely fast internet for under 100.00 USD per month? Is this even possible? I'm not opposed to Internet streaming ... as long as there's a normal guide that finds exactly and specifically what you're looking for when you type something in the search box. Looked for "Law & Order" with Miro, geeez, what a fiasco !!!

Everywhere we look there's either dirt cheap DSL if you already have a landline ... or the price of high speed DSL plus landline goes up to roughly 50 bucks per month. I've looked at 4 different providers so far, including Brighthouse, Verizon, and ATT.

Cable and Satellite TV same story ... packages starting dirt cheap but as soon as you want to add PayTV movies with whole house DVR access ... *BOOM* ... the prices jump right on up there in the 70 to 90 dollar range per month. I checked out Brighthouse, DirecTV, Dish Network, and "miraculously" their prices are all so close together that I can't help but think of PRICEFIXING ... ???

Again, we need absolutely no local phone access at all. We have two MagicJacks on one of our computers and we're perfectly happy with that at 40 bucks per year per line with nationwide calling. Can someone please tell me in easy to understand words how we can have high speed DSL, local TV channels, and PayTV availability without going over 100.00 dollars per month? I don't care so much about equipment costs, bonuses, signup specials, and baloney like that. We have to live on a very strict budget and my concern is about straight monthly bills which will remain close to the same for years to come. No big commercial company out there seems to want to provide that ....
I'd be willing to pay for a professional installation if it's not too expensive, but the only thing that I could find online with PayTV channels was of course DirecTV and DishNetwork.

HELP, this is really frustrating ....
Thank you so much for listening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)