Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Hi guys

My year with freeway support is up in april. I want to replace my
my bev 3100 receiver, for hd? Who can i buy equipment from
CanAm wont sell to me unless I activate thru them. While i
have been using Freeway for thee years, their sevice has
changed, no phone access, only voicemail,maybe not for days.
I live in Phila. Pa. US. Bev signal is great here. I like Bev systems
but i read that motorolla ku has much sharper pq.

rwebs said:
Hi guys

Who can i buy equipment from
www.kusat.com

While i have been using Freeway for thee years, their sevice has
changed, no phone access, only voicemail,maybe not for days.
I live in Phila. Pa.
Somebody here will PM with the contact info of a good broker

Bev signal is great here. I like Bev systems
but i read that motorolla ku has much sharper pq.
Generally speaking yes - on HD for sure, probably because the Motorola hardware is better than Echostar.

There is less HD on SC than Bev - but SC is the only sat provider that does not charge extra for HD + they are releasing Motorola HDVR next month

Realistically, there will be a time when SC charges for HD. My guess is that it will be this fall when US networks (therefore Canadian networks) have substantially more HD programming.

SC will probably have to switch over from combing channels to having a channel dedicated to each station.

for HD, at this time I'd recommend Bev, even though they charge an extra $10/mo for HD channels.
The reason, they have all 4 U.S. major networks in HD, both East & West Coast feed. They also offer WB in HD as well, out of Chicago.
And you get CTV, CBC, CityTV in HD, as well as Global.

Derwin0,

Actually, you get the US networks two fold because CTV, City, CBC and Global HD channels have yet to show any original programming. All they show is simsubbed programs off of the US networks.

I say this because I just left ExpressVU after 5 years. Starchoice has very noticeably better PQ than ExpressVU.

Do yourself a favour and don't be fooled by numbers. Starchoice shows the same HD content available on it's 9 omnibus HD channels that ExpressVU dpes on theri 25+ channels.

If you wan to pay $10 to get yourself SD upconverts than go ExpressVU :)

Kryspy

I am newly investigating these options for HD to replace the dead VOOm service end of April. I have checked the Express Vue and StarCHoice site, but the Star Choice is not so obvious as to HD choices and costs--channels, etc.

It seems the HD receiver is similar to VOOM's, which I am familiar with.

What is the cost of the StarChoice HD receiver in US $?

bookwalk said:
I am newly investigating these options for HD to replace the dead VOOm service end of April. I have checked the Express Vue and StarCHoice site, but the Star Choice is not so obvious as to HD choices and costs--channels, etc.

It seems the HD receiver is similar to VOOM's, which I am familiar with.

What is the cost of the StarChoice HD receiver in US $?

The HD receiver isnt available yet and it will be $650 CAD$$

easiest way to figure out how much US would be is www.xe.com

Iceberg said:
The HD receiver isnt available yet and it will be $650 CAD$$

easiest way to figure out how much US would be is www.xe.com

Starchoice website lists the DSR500 as available for $299 and it's also on EBAY, so it must be in use.

Also, found a broker called DSSBUYS--any negative feedback on that outfit?

Will the new HD PVR (that one is not out yet) have a DVI or HDMI output? I don't see that the DSR500 does--it looks EXACTLY like our VOOM receiver--it is Motoroloa, too.

bookwalk said:
Starchoice website lists the DSR500 as available for $299 and it's also on EBAY, so it must be in use.
sorry...thought you meant the HD DVR...yes the HD receiver is out
Also, found a broker called DSSBUYS--any negative feedback on that outfit?
I'll send you some info on a broker
Will the new HD PVR (that one is not out yet) have a DVI or HDMI output? I don't see that the DSR500 does--it looks EXACTLY like our VOOM receiver--it is Motoroloa, too.
The DSR500 is close to the Voom receiver, but it won't work because of the software and the serial #.

Kryspy said:
Actually, you get the US networks two fold because CTV, City, CBC and Global HD channels have yet to show any original programming. All they show is simsubbed programs off of the US networks.
Yes, but what happens next season when even more shows go HD?
With Bev giving all 4 networks from both coasts (plus WB Central), then I know I'll get everything, including Canadian HD shows on the Canadian Networks. And I know that way I'll get shows that don't show on Canadian networks such as NCIS.
Only so much is going to fit on the Omnibus channels, especially with more and more shows going HD.

Derwin0,

The consensus is that Shaw (Starchoice) will add more HD content when it becomes available. They just don't like to waste bandwidth on more channels showing upconverts just to say they are the HD leader.

Kryspy

I'm currently investigating the "Canadian" option - what's up with the American movie networks like HBO, SHowtime, Starz etc? I see there's some kinda mixture called Movie Network but what movies make there and what doesn't? For example my wife is watching the L-word and I don't see it mentioned there... I also need Sci-Fi and few others...

How many HD channels available on SC as of now and how many on EVu?

Apart from HD-DVR nad my JVC W-VHS, is there any other chance to record HD from their STBs? Doesn any of them sport Firewire or anything else?

Alot of the US channels are not approved in Canada...so they have channels that are close
US channel-Canadian channel
SciFi-Space
ESPN-TSN
Comedy Central-Comedy Network
ABC Family-Family Net
E!-Star!
ESPN News-The Score
Disney, Nick-Treehouse & YTV

But SC has Fox News and a good version of G4Tech TV

As for the movies, same thing.
Movie Network has a mix of stuff from HBO, Starz & Showtime. It actually works out better, as there arent 3 optuions for new movies :D

I see - is there a reason that they are "not approved"?

As far as I can tell there's no way to "export" HD from these boxes, right? I mean apart from analog recording...

Basically the CRTC (the Canadian FCC) approves Canadian Equivalents so they can show Canadain stuff too. Thats the main reason

Also, the big players in Canada (CanWest, Bell) can get more money by having their own networks than the US versions

Its also harder for US channels to get approved in Canada because if there is a channel already in Canada that is close (heck, maybe not even close) to the US one, they usually reject it because of that reasoning.

Most programs are purchased by the Canadian channels, so you won't miss many programs :)

The Canadians are also worried about Canadia becoming "Americanized" through the American TV culture and programming. So the CRTC requries a certain percentage of TV progamming to be Canadian.

Its a wierd law and I can't understand how it is legal but that is why US networks are not all there. The irony is Americans want to buy the Canadian TV and Canadians want to buy D* & E* Everyone has to jump through hoops and we are supposed to be living in free societies.

hd equipment and provider

Hi guys

Thanks for the reply to my question on equipment and provider.
I talked to Mike at Global, who is great to work with. Mike had me call
Ku-sat easy people to deal with. Got a great price BEV 6120 hd
unit. Talked to TVM to setup an account, worked well easy to deal
with. I have been with Freewaysupport for three years,for about
year I have had problems BEV shutting off the signal.It turns out
when BEV does a phone, they leave a tag on the screen, no modem
contact BEV. The rest of the turn offs left me with three channels
191,193,198, that was cause by account suspension due to
non payment.I cancelled with Freewaysupport,she assures me
my equipment will be released. Will see. anyway my account has been
off since last wensday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts