Old C band guy looking for help pointing at Anik F2 I have XR-3 Sat Meter

JohnMullen

Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Canada
I need to point a dish at the ANIK F2 satellite to test Shaw Broadcast feeds for a demo.

I am in Canada so in the footprint, I do not have a Shaw receiver, I am planning on feeding the signal to a Motorola 4410MD and using Shaw Broadcast services. Bell 60 CM dish and a Dish network AK72 3VPE model LNBF.

What I do have is an Xr-3 Meter, an A1 Turbo S2 meter and 2 older birddog meters, one ultra.

I can get ninmq 91 no problem. so LOS should not be an issue. When I change the meters to look for anik f2, I get nothing,, no lock, not a sniff of signal. Adjusted azimuth and declination and still nothing.

Meter tries to use transponder 20 by default, I tried other transponders but no luck.

Do I have the incorrect meter settings?

I need to point a dish at the ANIK F2 satellite to test Shaw Broadcast feeds for a demo.

I am in Canada so in the footprint, I do not have a Shaw receiver, I am planning on feeding the signal to a Motorola 4410MD and using Shaw Broadcast services. Bell 60 CM dish and a Dish network AK72 3VPE model LNBF.
I don't know about the meters (or the receiver), but do know the dish and LNB will not work. You need a linear LNBF and not a circular one that the Dish LNB is (hence the reason you could get Nimiq 91W). Different polarization as well as different frequency range. Since you are in Canada you should be able to get a Shaw Direct dish/LNBF fairly easily and cheaply.

I don't know about the meters (or the receiver), but do know the dish and LNB will not work. You need a linear LNBF and not a circular one that the Dish LNB is (hence the reason you could get Nimiq 91W). Different polarization as well as different frequency range. Since you are in Canada you should be able to get a Shaw Direct dish/LNBF fairly easily and cheaply.
Thanks that is what I was worried about.

I'll get a Shaw dish and LNBF, any model I should look for?

Any of the 60E dishes will work fine. F2 has the standard LO of 10750 (it is the boresight LNBF) and requires 22KHz tone being on. If you get a dish with the old LNB then the off-centre LNBF also has a standard LO of 10750 (22KHz off) so you could also point with that LNBF at F2. However, if it is the newer xKu Quad LNBF then the F2 LNBF is still with a LO of 10750 (and 22KHz on), but the G1 (off-centre) LNBF has a LO of 10075 (and 22KHz off) but will also scan the normal frequencies (11700-12200) as well as the lower xKu frequencies.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if you have a FTA dish (80cm, for example) and a standard linear LNB (LO of 10750) that will also work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts