Looking for help / DISH Tips

brandonjp

Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
Long story short...I've been a DISH customer for a few years, but my service was bundled with SBC services. I love DISH. I hate SBC. So I canceled my SBC services and received a letter about how to separate (or 'unbundle') my DISH account. Everything's been fine, except paying my bill...for some crazy reason (stupid SBC), my account number is screwed up and I can't pay my bill online and have had problems paying my bill by phone...basically, the only way to pay the bill is to write a check and mail it in. Although that's not too painful - I'd just rather be able to pay online like I pay every single other bill every month.

I've called customer service and tech support too many times - every time I have to explain the issue over again and get some kid who thinks they can solve all my problems only to tell me that the only way to fix it would be to cancel my account and sign up again. So yesterday I called to cancel my account (set to cancel next Friday). THEN they tell me that basically it'll cost me extra to sign up (because I'll have to pay activation and purchase my own equipment) unless I wait six months, because I'll be considered as a 'former customer' and not a 'new customer' -- ("This is based on company policy." she said via email)

So here're my questions....(sorry about the lengthy intro)....

I've got the DVR - 522 receiver right now and it's fine - actually I love it. I love the DVR features, the DISH Pass and the interface. Even though I'm fine not upgrading, if I do buy my own equipment, which units should I look at? I'd like to keep at least the 100gb disk space (more would be better) and I wish there was a way to digitally transfer things off the receiver to my computer (via USB, FireWire or something). I'm not doing HDTV and right now I've only got the top 60 pacakge. Any suggestions on a good receiver?

Secondly, the Dish Pass is one of my favorite features - I've heard talk about lawsuits with DISH and TIVO about the DVR functions - is there a chance that the price will go up for Dish DVR service or a chance that certain DVR features might go away for Dish customers in the near future?

Thanks for your help guys!
--bp

I don't have an answer for you, just some things to consider.

It sounds like you are not currently a Dish customer, but a SBC customer and just sending the Dish part of your bill to Dish; both before and after cancelling your bundle.

I wouldn't be suprised if you weren't leasing your equipment through SBC or their affiliate.

I've seen a few posts where people were told to ask for the "retention department" and tell them you are ready to scrap Dish because.....
And likewise, I've seen where some have gotten favorable results by emailing the CEO at Dish.

Maybe someone will respond with the email address for the CEO.

I would tell you to play Russian Roulette with the CSR, but you have already called too many times and its not working. Maybe ask for a Supervisor as soon as someone comes on the phone, but I think now just skip to the retention department.

If you were a customer through SBC, then you should be a new customer to Dish. Before calling anyone, check out the deals they have for new and existing customers on their web site or the web sites of retailers, decide what you want (maybe with a commitment or not) and then DEMAND they make your life easier, or you will be a new customer, but at DirecTV.

I like the ViP622. Some wish it had a 2nd OTA (ATSC) tuner, I wish it had a NTSC and/or cable tuner. I'm thinking about a 2nd and maybe a 3rd ViP 622, but am waiting for the TIVO suit to get resolve.

EDIT: Post number 6 in the following thread has the email address "CEO@echostar.com": http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=83443

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)