Stupid question?

AT&TDishman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Indianapolis
If Dish cannot transmit all high def channels at full resolution why can't they get rid of all the music, foreign channels (including all those Spanish ones I cannot undertstand, but love the hot babes on them), and infomercial channels to free up space on the satellites? Seems to be a no-brainer unless Dish makes a lot of money on them and could care less about us customers who are paying $100+/month for programming and getting no high def locals and crappy resolution on the existing high def channels.

Hey! Now there's an idea. Dish should just dump ALL of their SD programming while they're at it and *just* have HD programming. Oh...and make it some really kick-ass programming, too!!

And with the name Dish...blech...who needs that. They should rename themselves something cool. Oh, I don't know. How about....VOOM!! Yeah...that's the ticket. I bet that sort of thing will fly and there will be no chance of it folding :rolleyes:

Bottom line, it's been tried before. Diversification is key; just like any other enterprise in life. And let's face it, there are more homes without HD than there are with.

all the illegal aliens would revolt w/ out their telemundo!

all the illegal aliens would revolt w/ out their telemundo!

There are over 120,000 Latino immigrants (mostly illegal aliens) in Marion County and half don't speak a word of English, according to a local TV station. I would bet most of them have Dish illegally too.

Last edited:
Webbydude is right. Diversification in programming makes them money.

My wife listens to the SIRIUS music channels a lot during the day.

While I'd be willing to dump 95% of my SD channels, the contracts E* has with the channels does not allow them to a la carte just the HDs or the few I want.

There are over 120,000 Latino immigrants (mostly illegal aliens) in Marion County and half don't speak a word of English, according to a local TV station. I would bet most of them have Dish illegally too.

I seriously doubt that they have Dish illegally. And if they came here asking how to do that, you can be guaranteed that Iceberg would show them the way.... (to the door!) :D

i would say about 20% of our installs were hispanic & this was about 3yrs ago. They were the best, you could put the dish on their front door & they wouldn't care.

Let's see- somebody with more knowledge than I- what would it work out to? About a hundred audio channels to free up space for one HD channel?

to w2n & Att&t Dishman: there are many people in this fine country that speak a language other than English. I enjoy telemundo from time to time and my ancestors have been here for more than 100yrs. Yes, I do understand it. Just remember that unless you are Native American, your ancestors also came here from another country and probably spoke another language.

If Dish cannot transmit all high def channels at full resolution why can't they get rid of all the music, foreign channels (including all those Spanish ones I cannot undertstand, but love the hot babes on them), and infomercial channels to free up space on the satellites?

well lets see. They can fit 2 channels per transponder if we are doing "full resolution"...maybe 3

its 12 channels per TP for SD
Those 100+ audio channels are taking up maybe the total of 3 transponders (audio is a LOT more per TP...I think 6 audio only take up as much space as one SD channel)

most ethnic channels are on the wings

Maybe you don't want the Spanish channels but there are lots of people who speak Spanish who cant get them with their cable system so they get Dish. :)

i would say about 20% of our installs were hispanic & this was about 3yrs ago. They were the best, you could put the dish on their front door & they wouldn't care.

As funny as this comment is, I hate to admit it, but it is true. A lot of international customers are just happy to have the programming. I'm not so much referring to the Hispanic programming, but the Arabic packages. I get a lot of installs that involve JUST having the international channels while combining the locals from the cable company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)