looking for info about ugrading to a dvr

Video_9

Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Hey guys i have some questions about dishnetwork and there dvr's. I already have dishnetwork and a standerd reciever. I would like to know what is required to upgrade to a DVR receiver.

I read about a deal on dishnetworks site that says current costumers can purchase a refurb dvr with a 1 year warranty for $149 without month fees.

My question is what is the difference between buying a new dvr and this refurbed one? Im not talking about technical specs but on service and costs.

For example,
Do you have to buy a dvr or can you lease one? And when does a monthly service cost apply? Do the older refub'd dvrs work without the monthly service? or is the service required for all dvrs as an intricate part of the recording proccess?

ok never mind about my previous questions..lol

What i would like to know is if the 508 dvr requires to be plugged into the phone line. Because i dont have a phone line.

My 510 has never been plugged into the phone, never will be. I've seen a lot of people say the same thing, don't worry about it...

As for the refurb, when people send back their "broken" units, dish network fixes them (probably takes them 5 minutes) and then sells them for !50 bucks. As long as it turns on, it's good to them, so I wouldn't buy it. It could be heavily damaged (hard drives are sensitive), and will be obsolete in mere months when MPEG-4 technology comes out and the box needs replaced...

Skip it. You've gone this long without DVR, just wait until an MPEG-4 DVR unit is available and get that. Probably will be 6 months from now, best case scenario. If you can wait, I suggest you do...

why dont you have a phone line?
Because my family all uses cellphones and has no need for a landline. And $40 a month for a phone line you dont use is $40 to much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)