Looking for input on DirectTV service in Buffalo, NY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

magd61707

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Please bear with me as I'm new here. I'm thinking of making the switch from Dish to Direct and would like to get as much info as possible before making my decision. First, can anyone living in Buffalo, NY (city and suburbs) tell me how the reception is with Direct? We live in the city and have never lost our signal with Dish, not even during our most recent wind storm! Is Direct as reliable with the signal? Also, can you connect an antenna and use Direct's HD DVR functions with OTA signals? I would really appreciate any input I could get. Thanks

Please bear with me as I'm new here. I'm thinking of making the switch from Dish to Direct and would like to get as much info as possible before making my decision. First, can anyone living in Buffalo, NY (city and suburbs) tell me how the reception is with Direct? We live in the city and have never lost our signal with Dish, not even during our most recent wind storm! Is Direct as reliable with the signal? Also, can you connect an antenna and use Direct's HD DVR functions with OTA signals? I would really appreciate any input I could get. Thanks

Directv's signal in Buffalo will be just as reliable as anywhere else. The location has no bearing on the signal quality. Their latest hd dvr is the HR21 series which has no ota function, but they are coming out with a usb connected ota tuner, which will integrate with the dvr allowing you to record ota content. You might get the original HR20 version which does have an ota tuner. If you must have this model, you might find it at a local Costco, Best Buy, or Circuit City.

Won't need an antenna as I think DTV carries HD locals for Buffalo!

I'm in Wheatfield and have been with D* for over 5 years. I've had the Slimline dish and HR20 since June 2007. I had the Tivo based HR10 HD DVR before that. I've never had any major problems with D*. My dish was slightly blown out of alignment in our first wind storm in early January, but I had it realigned 3 days later and turns out the original installer never tightened all the bolts. During our recent wind storm last week I didn't have any problems - was still getting very high signal strengths (some 100s). PQ is great.

As raoul5788 said, the older HR20 HD DVR has a built-in OTA tuner; the current HR21 model does not, but an external one is on its way (I've heard availability in March for $59). I think if you buy from D*, you'll likely get the HR21. You can go to BB or CC to get an HR20 still though (I saw some HR20s at BB on the Boulevard last week).

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

If you do sign up, send me a PM and I'll give you my info for a referral and we can each get a $50 credit.

Thanks for the info Indiana. Will be checking out BB later tonight. So how does it work if I manage to get my hands on an HR20? Do I just tell D* I don't need a receiver on the install? Can they just activate the HR20? At this point, the lack of OTA tuner is the only thing keeping us from making the switch so I'd really like to figure out how to do this. Thanks

I'm not sure since you'd only need the Slimline installed. Or do you need other receivers besides the HR20 (other TVs in the house)? You'd just have to talk with D* to figure that out. Yes, D* can activate a receiver you buy locally. I've done that before. It just has to be all hooked up and then it will prompt you when to call, but since you don't have the D* dish installed yet, you'd have to wait for that.

If you do buy an HR20 at BB and don't need any other receivers, you may want to call RW Antenna Service in Lockport. They are an authorized D* installer that I've used (they're great) and they may be able to get your dish installed quicker/cheaper than going through D*. Check your PM.

I'm in Wheatfield and have been with D* for over 5 years. I've had the Slimline dish and HR20 since June 2007. I had the Tivo based HR10 HD DVR before that. I've never had any major problems with D*. My dish was slightly blown out of alignment in our first wind storm in early January, but I had it realigned 3 days later and turns out the original installer never tightened all the bolts. During our recent wind storm last week I didn't have any problems - was still getting very high signal strengths (some 100s). PQ is great.

As raoul5788 said, the older HR20 HD DVR has a built-in OTA tuner; the current HR21 model does not, but an external one is on its way (I've heard availability in March for $59). I think if you buy from D*, you'll likely get the HR21. You can go to BB or CC to get an HR20 still though (I saw some HR20s at BB on the Boulevard last week).

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

If you do sign up, send me a PM and I'll give you my info for a referral and we can each get a $50 credit.
I read your reply about Direct TV and Buffalo. Do you know if I can pick up the Buffalo local signals in Detroit with Direct TV?

Thanks

Joe

I read your reply about Direct TV and Buffalo. Do you know if I can pick up the Buffalo local signals in Detroit with Direct TV?
I honestly have no idea. I don't know how big the spot beam footprint is. And I don't even know which transponder our HD locals are on (I'm pretty sure they're on the 103s sat but not sure which TP).

OK, I did some investigating and the Buffalo HD locals are on sat 103s TP 21 (I'm 99% sure - though D* does move channels around so that could change). So I'd check your sat strength readings and see what kind of signal you are getting for that TP.

I installed dish in buffalo a few winters back so heres my piece.

Most of the area you shouldnt have a problem with a line of site for the dish, there really arent many large tree's there so line of site wil be good. Reception is contingent on line of site to the sky not distance from any particular location such as you would have with a pair of rabbit ears or a big antenna outside because satellite uses a diferent transmission source than a radio tower does though both are effected by solid objects though to vastly differing degrea's.

I installed dish in buffalo a few winters back so heres my piece.

Most of the area you shouldnt have a problem with a line of site for the dish, there really arent many large tree's there so line of site wil be good. Reception is contingent on line of site to the sky not distance from any particular location such as you would have with a pair of rabbit ears or a big antenna outside because satellite uses a diferent transmission source than a radio tower does though both are effected by solid objects though to vastly differing degrea's.
You're replying to the guy in Detroit who wants to know if he can get Buffalo locals from there right? Or to me? I have D* already and get great reception.

You mentioned about reception not being contingent on distance "from any particular location," but since Detroit is quite a distance from Buffalo, the question is how big is the Buffalo spot beam? And does it reach Detroit? My advice to the Detroit customer is to check his signal strength on 103s TP 21 to see if he's getting signal.

Nope replied to the OP but with spot beam distance is one of two times that distance comes into play, the other is anyone outside of the states trying to get service.

Has anyone in the buffalo area used satellite solutions for their Directv install?
I think they are who I used back in 2003 when I first got D*. I think back then they had a second office in Tonawanda (if that wasn't them, then I don't know who my original install was done by, but I went to a store in Tonawanda and signed up). I went to their current store in Depew (or Cheektowaga) in 2006 and bought my HR10. I've never heard anything bad about them. I'd also recommend RW Antenna service from Lockport. They came out this winter and realigned my Slimline after one of our windstorms. The tech was great and I get tons of 100 signal readings now. Their number is 434-9216.

I think they are who I used back in 2003 when I first got D*. I think back then they had a second office in Tonawanda (if that wasn't them, then I don't know who my original install was done by, but I went to a store in Tonawanda and signed up). I went to their current store in Depew (or Cheektowaga) in 2006 and bought my HR10. I've never heard anything bad about them. I'd also recommend RW Antenna service from Lockport. They came out this winter and realigned my Slimline after one of our windstorms. The tech was great and I get tons of 100 signal readings now. Their number is 434-9216.

Thanks for the info. I will most likely be making the switch next month, after my nhl ci subscription expires.

hi
I live out in cheektowaga past the thruway.
We rarely have outages of non-OTA channels. Only in the most severe weather, maybe 1-2 per year and it is flickering or jumping and not a true outage of service.

For the OTA, that can flicker at random times. The only OTA you need is channel 4 because their hd channel is not over the dish yet.

To be honest, I am quite happy with dtv here and have had it for nearly 4 years now.

In related news, does anyone in Buffalo get any locals on the OTA other than buffalo....if so, how do i do it :)
thanks

ps
when you make the switch do not forget to use the fact that you are a dish customer now to get a better sign up deal. also, be someones referral. also, use the AAA discount if you are one

Buffalo OTA's are pretty strong and reliable.

An amplified indoor antenna is all that most people need.

You can grab CBC in HD if you try hard enough. You'll need a decent UHF antenna and preamp (outdoors, obviously). A CM4228 with a CM7777 should work. Other than that, not too much to grab OTA. Ton of analog channels (I can get quite a few Toronto, Rochester, and Erie ones), but no luck with anything other than Buffalo and CBC digitally.

While I don't live in Buffalo, in fact, I live nowhere near Buffalo. I live in El Paso and we we have winds. I have never, knock on wood, had problems because of the wind. I have problems with my ota hd channels when the wind is blowing.

As far as the HR20, it is a decent receiver. Maybe not as good as the 622, but it is getting there. I switched because of the additional HD channels. Don't regret the move at all.

I think that its worth the chance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)