Looking for KU 6 feet Offset dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john_robot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Guys I am looking for for KU Offset dish and it should be at least 6 feet.

pls help.

john_robot said:
Guys I am looking for for KU Offset dish and it should be at least 6 feet.

pls help.

What are your requirements? New/used? Fixed/motorized? Solid/panels? RX/TX? Composite/steel/aluminum?

What is your location and what satellite are you trying to get? Are you sure it requires a 6 ft dish? A bit more information would really be helpful. If you really need a 6 ft offset, Someone here may have one, but that may be half way 'round the world.(and therefore, the shipping may be "out of this world". World out.

I am in USA but I want it for Asia to catch some out of beam signals.

Requirements : I am looking for used as new one costing much.

Fixed/motorized - Ok with any.
Solid better; panel OK

This is for RX

Composite/steel/aluminum - OK with any

Specifically, what satellites are you trying to get signal from?

You do realize that you will not be able to acquire signal from satellites that are below the horizon (or that you don't have line-of-sight to)?

Yea, what Phlatwound said. - :rolleyes:

What specific state (city would be better), and what specific orbital location is the satellite you are seeking.?.
Pretty much any Ku satellite that puts a signal on the USA, can be received with a 1 meter dish.
The exceptions would be few.

edit: oops - I missed this.
I am in USA but I want it for Asia to catch some out of beam signals.
Well, that's another matter.
Still, Ku is pretty tight, and the info above will help us help you. - :)

Ah, I think I may have misunderstood, I thought you were looking to pick up "Asian" sats from the U.S.A. ? :confused:

Yes, more info please. :)

I was very happy with my motorized GeosatPro 1.2m offset on Ku for quite some time. It locked just about everything anyone could find. But it was vulnerable to high winds. Eventually I added a second 1.2m with a C-band HH motor. That helped some, but the mount still proved a bit flimsy. When I decided to subscribe to Shaw Direct, I added a third 1.2m for both of those birds. Since this one was fixed, I anchored the feed side in addition to the regular mount. That stands up amazingly well to the high winds that occasionally roar through here, but it's not a solution for the non-stationary 1.2m dishes. Regardless, I'm familiar with the good and bad of consumer-grade 1.2m dishes.

Then I added a 1.8m Prodelin offset for exclusive Ku use. It made the 1.2m dishes look and act like toys. I'm able to lock signals on the 1.8m that only show up as a whimper on a 1.2m. The 1.8m can of course provide a lot more rain fade margin, and gales that bounce the 1.2m dishes around cause hardly anything on the 1.8m when I watch my spectrum analyzer. I'm still using the 1.2m dishes, but for the most part they have been relegated to secondary, surplus or backup uses.

While not for many, a 1.8m Ku dish can make a lot of sense to some of us. I normally see a 3 - 3.5 dB CNR improvement on the 1.8m dish over the 1.2m. This is pretty close to theory and indicates the Prodelin surface is accurate. These are solid fiberglass and not something to be treated lightly. They were/are very common in the commercial world and I spot them all over the place when driving around. I doubt many are still in use and they may represent easy targets for free rescue operations.

However many of the Prodelins were for fixed use and will require effort to motorize them. Mine came with a dual axis mount. I was very tempted to attach a couple of actuators with corresponding controllers, which would have eliminated most of the alignment effort and allowed me to track inclined birds. But the mount would have required something like a 5" OD pole. I wanted to get this on the roof quickly because the city was considering a dish-limiting ordinance, and I already had a 3.5" pole mounted in the right place. I ended up modifying an Ajax H-180 HH motor and mount instead. It works well, but the Prodelin can still be a strain for a motor designed for 3.8m mesh dishes.

I probably could have instead built a polar mount and used a heavy-duty actuator. But that would have taken time I didn't have. You can buy a factory polar mount from Prodelin, but this costs a good fraction of complete, all-new dish. In the end and for all the trouble, this is an excellent option for the deadly serious types.

Ah, I think I may have misunderstood, I thought you were looking to pick up "Asian" sats from the U.S.A. ? :confused:

Yes, more info please. :)

phlatwound and Anole, Nope the dish is going to be in Asia.. so that is why i need a bigger dish.

Tnx pendragon for your details.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts