Looking for OTA digital converter box for use with VCR

Ken,

The...
Dish Network, TR-40CRA
has the VCR Timer Feature also.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but just in case someone doesn't know...
There is no physical connection between a Converter and your VCR which tells the VCR to record.

You set the Converter to come on to a certain channel at a certain time, then
program your VCR to come on and record the input which you have the Converter connected to, at that same time period.

Separate but coordinated events.

Converters which do not have the VCR Timer still can be used to do timed recordings, save that you must leave them on, on the channel you wish to record, and set the VCR to do the program recording as you normally would. You must then change the channel on the Converter, to record another channel, or leave it on, and on the same channel, to do daily recordings.

Additionally, if you wish to watch one Channel while Recording another, you must have two Converters.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
Like most thing in life time or $$$.
In this case it is stuff for my wife and it should not change too much so I don't mind the upfront programming of both the converter and VCR.

Have you tried the box you listed?

Thanks

Ken,

Of the three D/A Converters I have, the DTVPal Plus is the only one which has a VCR Timer.

When first getting it, yes, I did some recordings, but, it was really a pain duplicating the Programs on each one. I jump around the channels a lot from week to week.
I have since updated my HT and now have ATSC recorders. All three of the D/A's basically just sit in the spare rooms now, wait for a Guest, or a conflict in who wants to watch what. :D

I have to admit, the DTVPal Plus drove me nuts at first. It has a mind of it's own, coming on (by it's self) to update the EPG and no telling what else. But overall, it is a good piece of equipment, and saved a very good Analog TV from the junk pile, as have the others.

On the TR-40...
I don't own one of those, I only had it listed as having the VCR Timer Feature. There actually weren't all that many of the original D/A's that had that function.
However there are other resources which may provide you with the information you seek, including problems and other comments.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Last edited:
Well I went with the Zinwell ZAT-970A and
It has a GREAT :up tuner. Better than the Zenith and APEX I have. I can pull in stuff with my wimpy antenna (a figure 8 loop with no balon) that others can not.

Looks like a good box overall.
Hope it works out for me.

Thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone know where to buy DTVPal? My online search didn't find any website that had a new one in stock. I only saw used on Ebay. Thanks.

John