Looking to Dish ...with questions

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I know there are a lot of new dish people with questions. Mine have probably been answered somewhere?

But I missed voom and went with D*. My D* contract just ended. So I'm looking into disk for, like so many others, the voom HD channels.
So.... on the 622, I understand you have to wire the RF to the second tv2?
That seems like a poor picture if using RF to a tv, like back in the 1970's.

What are the viewing options on tv2?
Can I, or I can watch ota on tv2, and one tuner from the 622?
I can also watch "recorded" stuff off the 622 on tv2?

On tv1,
I can watch ota? I can watch one tuner from the 622? And I can watch recorded stuff off the 622 on tv1?

Can someone on tv1 be watching recorded stuff from the 622, and someone on
tv2 "ALSO" be watching different recorded stuff off the 622 at the same time?

So in short,
just to make sure, (if using two tv's)
I can watch the one ota tuner on both tv1 or tv2 at the same time (the same channel naturally)?
I can watch "different" recordings from the 622 on tv1 and tv2 at the same time?

I can watch only/just one 622 satellite tuner on tv1?

The second 622 satellite tuner is only watchable on tv2?

If I start a recording on tv1, that will have that one tuner "in use" and I have to watch what is being recorded. (that is, I can not tap into watching the tv2 tuner on tv1)?

This is getting messy.
Is the one sat tuner for tv1 "linked" just to tv1?
And the same for the "second" sat tuner "linked" to only tv2?

On the remotes,
I guess you get two remotes. Is the tv1 remote just to access tv1 features on the 622, that is, it controls ONE sat 622 tuner and the ONE ota tuner, but does not see the tv2 tuner/features/settings?
And the tv2 remote is blind to sat tuner tv1?

I really want to know the details on this 622 unit, since it is like two receivers in one, but each receiver seems to be linked to just one tv (tv1 or tv2).

Last edited:
You can run RCA (red, white, yellow or "composite") to the 2nd TV.

For all intents and purposes, just forget that the 2nd TV is in another room. If something is recorded on the 622, both TVs can access it.

You can NOT watch the over-the-air channels on TV2.

Yes, this is messy.... Sorry....

My 622 is in single mode, has a coax going out of it to the TV upstairs and both tvs show the same programming. Thats tv2 in single mode.

Mike

hall said:
In "Single Mode", define what "TV2" is.
In Single mode, TV2 is redundant TV1, only in SD or down-converted HD. This is certainly one very valid way to watch TV2 - I do it all the time! My 622 is in one room connected to my HD set, but I "watch" (actually, snooze to!) as much if not more programs from my TV2 location, the master bedroom. To use TV2 to watch the same content as TV1, the 622 must have "Shared View" enabled.

The primary use of Single mode I presume is to enable the PIP function where both tuners are needed. Interestingly, PIP will also appear on TV2 while in the Single mode, and can be fully controlled by the TV2 remote...

BTW - I connect TV2 via the composite outputs via a "Leapfrog" microwave transmitter/receiver. Slightly better PQ than with the coax connection and no cable to run, YMMV...

Last edited:
hall said:
I'm positive that that's not the "normal" method for using "Single Mode" though.

Sounds like there are several of us that do it that way. I set the box in single mode when I go to bed, and can then watch any channel on the box on the secondary TV without disturbing the recordings on any of the three tuners.

Last edited:
Yes, you can watch OTA in dual mode. Start recording the show to DVR on TV1, watch anything you want on TV1, go to TV2 and start watching the OTA show off the DVR, while it's running. You'll just be a few seconds behind live. Yes, it's a workaround, but a simple one.

Or so I'm told. I've never actually done it myself, I stay in single mode.

What navychop said, I've also heard that but haven't tried it, but I've seen advertisements saying you can start watching a show before its finished being recorded, therefore it makes sense.

On the coax run for TV2, or the complete home distribution.... Its not like some of the VCR's in the 70's that output a weak RF signal to a TV. The signal is quite strong, in fact, they even give you an attenuator so that you don't broadcast (the adult shows) to your neighbors.

As someone explained it to me.
You have 3 tuners, 2 Sat and 1 OTA Digital.
The DVR can record from all 3 at the same time.
You have 2 outputs, TV1 Output and TV2 Output.
Each TV Output can watch a Sat Tuner or a Recording.
If 2 sat tuners are each recording, then eact TV Output can watch an independent recording, and does not have to be the show currently recording.
TV1 Output can watch Digital OTA live.

TV2 Output uses a UHF PRO Remote.
TV1 Output uses a IR Remote, but you can buy a UHF PRO Remote for TV1.

Thanks, but...
On tv2, you can only see/watch one satellite tuner "linked" to tv2 in dual mode?

You can not tap into whats showing on tv1 tuner if your at tv2?

Like, if the kids are watching tv1, and I'm at tv2, I can not see what they are watching on tv1 from tv2?

hall said:
I'm positive that that's not the "normal" method for using "Single Mode" though.

I dunno, thats how my installers set it up and it works perfect. Use the TV2 remote from upstairs and I can watch anything I would on TV1. HD is downconverted, can even view OTA on TV2. Works great for me!

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)