Looking to move from DTV to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lopey

Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
USA
I'm a current DTV sub and I'm thinking about changing to Dish. I currently have 2 DTV Tivo's, and I'm kindof having a hard time with going from being able to record 4 shows at a time to 2. I know from the website it says that they use 1 DVR for 2 TV's, does anyone know if they would do 2 DVR's? If they would do it, could I still link the 2 DVR's to 2 TV's?

Yes, they will do 2 DVR's. For instance 2 722's could handle 2 HDTV's and 2 SDTV's watching different programs at the same time. Between these two boxes you could record 2 OTA and 4 satellite channels at the same time. Now if they were both 722k's you could record 4 OTAs and 4 satellite channels at the same time.

Only downside of things is there's no multi-room viewing between the two DVR's. Each DVR would have it's own programs, only way to get them over to the other would be a USB hard drive.

Yes, they will do 2 DVR's. For instance 2 722's could handle 2 HDTV's and 2 SDTV's watching different programs at the same time. Between these two boxes you could record 2 OTA and 4 satellite channels at the same time. Now if they were both 722k's you could record 4 OTAs and 4 satellite channels at the same time.

Only downside of things is there's no multi-room viewing between the two DVR's. Each DVR would have it's own programs, only way to get them over to the other would be a USB hard drive.

So, the USB is hot swappable? It's actually an add on, and not a replacement harddrive to what is already in the box?

The 722K is a newer receiver with an optional module for two OTA tuners.
The older 622/722s can record one OTA and two sat channels at a time.
If you do switch, you should have at least one HDTV and say the other is on the way.

So, the USB is hot swappable? It's actually an add on, and not a replacement harddrive to what is already in the box?
Unlike D*, the EHD is independent of internal drive, and you can move programs back and forth. IE, you can move a program from receiver A to EHD, then play on or move to internal drive receiver B.

Unlike D*, the EHD is independent of internal drive, and you can move programs back and forth. IE, you can move a program from receiver A to EHD, then play on or move to internal drive receiver B.

This can be done on the 612?

I guess I'm also trying to do this as cheap as possible. I talked to a support person online yesterday and told me there would be an upfront fee of 100 - 200 for the second DVR

I guess I'm also trying to do this as cheap as possible. I talked to a support person online yesterday and told me there would be an upfront fee of 100 - 200 for the second DVR
That is wrong. DO NOT call Dish. Call Dishstore, also one of this site's sponsors. They have the best deals and know-how. Yes, EHD works with 612. Also, never call on Sunday.

I'm a current DTV sub and I'm thinking about changing to Dish. I currently have 2 DTV Tivo's, and I'm kindof having a hard time with going from being able to record 4 shows at a time to 2. I know from the website it says that they use 1 DVR for 2 TV's, does anyone know if they would do 2 DVR's? If they would do it, could I still link the 2 DVR's to 2 TV's?

I assume you also realize that unless you get AEP, E* charges a DVR fee on EACH box, as opposed to 1 per account... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)