rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Just happened to notice that 7, 24 and 42 now have HD MPEG4 channels up and running, no KXAN/36 though is showing up in the guide.

Yes. I noticed it too. 36 should be digital as well. I wonder what the problem is.

Do you get PBS in hdtv? I don't

itzelm said:
Yes. I noticed it too. 36 should be digital as well. I wonder what the problem is.

Do you get PBS in hdtv? I don't

No on PBS. D* usually doesn't do the PBS stations on LIL-HD yet.

As for 36, usually it's a case of the stations owners and D* can't come to terms on how much money to pay for allowing D* to carry the signal.

I'm new to the HD world. Are the local Austin channels on Dish, the other brand, or OTA?

Thanks for the insight. I hope they come to an agreement. :) And I hope we get PBS digital too!

mmiiguy said:
I'm new to the HD world. Are the local Austin channels on Dish, the other brand, or OTA?

I don't think so, go to the Dish web site, select local channels under programming and put your address in, the site will tell you. Other then that you should be able to receive the OTA with an antenna and ATSC tuner, such as the 811/ 921, etc.

D* HD LIL for channels 24 and 42 don't look good

OK, I've had a chance go play around a bit and here's what I see on my sets. Channel 7 looks OK but 24 and 42 have what folks in other HD LIL cities call the 8MM problem, it looks like a low frame rate as if you're watching an old 8MM movie. I see this on my two HR20's and one H20. I don't see this problem on my H20 when tuned to the ATSC OTA channel, just the D* HD LIL feed. Anyone else see the same???

Hoping 42 and 54 come in as a package...and maybe that's part of the slowdown.

Will anyone at D* or KXAN be willing or able to answer why they're not up yet?

No Need for D* or KXAN comment

chris_fowler99 said:
Hoping 42 and 54 come in as a package...and maybe that's part of the slowdown.

Will anyone at D* or KXAN be willing or able to answer why they're not up yet?

I've heard that LIN who owns both KXAN/KNVA hold their HD signals hotage for D* - In fact. just to settle that, I went through their station list here and plugged the ZIP codes in D*s site - any market with HD LIL does not have LIN stations. I'm afraid no NBC or CW HD for Austin

http://www.lintv.com/stations.html

ok guys, i am bit loss. can you explain these acronyms:
HD LIL
OTA
LIN

I'm trying to make sense of your posting.

Sorry, I'm new. :confused:

itzelm said:
ok guys, i am bit loss. can you explain these acronyms:
HD LIL
OTA
LIN

I'm trying to make sense of your posting.

Sorry, I'm new. :confused:

No problem.

HD LIL = High Definition Local into Local (your network affiliates)

OTA = Over the Air (rooftop antenna)

LIN = LIN TV Corporation (a company that owns media outlets such as TV and radio)

Thanks for the explanation of the acronyms. My next question is how do switch between the aTSC OTA channel and HD LIL feed on my H20?

Thanks

rad said:
OK, I've had a chance go play around a bit and here's what I see on my sets. Channel 7 looks OK but 24 and 42 have what folks in other HD LIL cities call the 8MM problem, it looks like a low frame rate as if you're watching an old 8MM movie. I see this on my two HR20's and one H20. I don't see this problem on my H20 when tuned to the ATSC OTA channel, just the D* HD LIL feed. Anyone else see the same???

itzelm said:
Thanks for the explanation of the acronyms. My next question is how do switch between the aTSC OTA channel and HD LIL feed on my H20?

Thanks

Assuming you have an OTA antenna attached and setup on you H20; those ATSC tuned channels will be integrated right into the EPG (electronic program guide) right along with all the other DirecTV channels; just select said channel and it will auto tune. You don't need to do anything special.

What he said, or it you want to directly tune to it channel 7 for example you would enter 7-1, the OTA ATSC stations and subchannels always have a - in the channel number.

Thanks for the explanation.

I am not sure if i have an ot antenna attached to the hd 20. the box is connected to the satellite dish but i still receive the regular channels. On my program guide I receive a 24 kvue and a 24 au24. Is the 24au 24 the ota channel.

I hate sounding so dumb. :-(

itzelm said:
Thanks for the explanation.

I am not sure if i have an ot antenna attached to the hd 20. the box is connected to the satellite dish but i still receive the regular channels. On my program guide I receive a 24 kvue and a 24 au24. Is the 24au 24 the ota channel.

I hate sounding so dumb. :-(
The 24 KVUE is the HD LIL via satellite, the 24AU is the standard definition via the satellite. If you had set up an OTA antenna and scanned for channels then the over the air would show up as 24-1. If you live close enought to the towers over at Westlake you can just try a good indoor UHF antenna and hook it up on the box, then go through the setup again saying you have an OTA antenna attached. The picuture you'll get via that will be better then what's coming from D*. I know they can do better since I used to live in Chicago and the MPEG4 LIL HD channels looked as good as the OTA stuff, not what I'm seeing here with the stuttering in the video and audio.

thanks. i went to antennaweb.org, entered my address and found some suggestions for uhf antennas. according to the site , this is what i can get

* yellow - uhf KLRU-DT 18.1 PBS AUSTIN TX 20° 11.4 22
* yellow - uhf KEYE-DT 42.1 CBS AUSTIN TX 16° 11.0 43
* yellow - uhf KVUE-DT 24.1 ABC AUSTIN TX 16° 11.0 33
* red - uhf KXAN-DT 36.1 NBC AUSTIN TX 16° 11.4 21
* blue - vhf KAKW-DT 62.1 UNI KILLEEN TX 344° 38.8 13
* blue - vhf KCWX-DT 2.1 CW FREDERICKSBURG TX TBD 261° 44.2 2
* violet - uhf KNVA-DT 54.1 CW AUSTIN TX 16° 11.4 49

I read on the site that the violet antenna is fairly large and that i would have to put it outdoors. i don't think that will be an option.

I'm mostly interested in the yellow and blue channels but want an indoor antenna only. any good suggestions for antennas?

bjoe said:
I've heard that LIN who owns both KXAN/KNVA hold their HD signals hotage for D* - In fact. just to settle that, I went through their station list here and plugged the ZIP codes in D*s site - any market with HD LIL does not have LIN stations. I'm afraid no NBC or CW HD for Austin

http://www.lintv.com/stations.html

Guess I'm locked out of the HR20 until they get the OTA tuners working...hope that really is coming in the next week or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts