Looks like DirecTV has a sat ready to compete...

SeattleVoomer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
with VOOM right now:

DirecTV's Last Broadband Gasp
'Spaceway' sats not for broadband
DirecTV has announced that the company will be facing a $1.6 billion charge, since they've decided to use their "Spaceway" Ka-band satellites for HDTV and other content, and not broadband service. When the Wall Street Journal hinted at such a move last May, DirecTV issued a defensive press release decrying the claims as inaccurate. Hindered by latency, satellite broadband service has long-been a choice for users with no other option; as America gets wired (or wireless, as the case may be), the demand for such services continues to dwindle.

Come on VOOM get Media 9 (or is that 10 now?) up and running, add a few more channels and take over the HDTV market!

Watching HDTV under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Actually there are 2 spaceway sats going up next year and a 3rd the year after for D*

"Manufactured by Boeing Co. and viewed by industry officials as the most complex commercial-communications satellites ever assembled, two of the spacecraft are expected to be launched next year. The third satellite is a spare intended to stay on the ground. While Boeing has maintained that the satellites mark the future of the space industry, so far it has found few commercial customers and early versions of it have suffered serious defects."

Walter L. said:
Which may be redundant to users that already get locals OTA.
Yes unfortunately D* users will have to wait for new HD channel additions until after RUpert has conquered the HD local market. Pretty sad. Hope Im wrong.

vurbano said:
Yes unfortunately D* users will have to wait for new HD channel additions until after RUpert has conquered the HD local market. Pretty sad. Hope Im wrong.
That's what I think also. Perhaps, they will add TNT-HD before the begining of the NBA season (to catch up with E*), but then it will be only HD locals accross many markets - that will keep them busy through 2005-2006.

With the new Space way Sats Direct TV will have over 500 HD channels by this summer. Most will be locals.

And 1500 by years end with the other new Sats.

Voom will still be at (30?)

I think Voom is going to have to merge with someone like DIshnetwork to be able to complete.

THey just dont have the bandwidth for all the HD channels.

ScottChez said:
With the new Space way Sats Direct TV will have over 500 HD channels by this summer. Most will be locals.

And 1500 by years end with the other new Sats.

Voom will still be at (30?)

I think Voom is going to have to merge with someone like DIshnetwork to be able to complete.

THey just dont have the bandwidth for all the HD channels.

I know you're just trying to be a good voom thrasher ;) but that is not true. They will have the CAPACITY for 500 LIL or 150 National HD channels at full bitrates (not HD Lite) They expect to have the top 30 markets live in June 2005 for HD LIL and will also fix some pending issues.

vurbano, Walter L. ... is that sweat I smell? :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts