Looks like Dish May drop FX networks..

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I get Dish's Welcome Pack and Amazon Prime. I use the TiVo for locals and streaming and get the included guide. There are on a dew things I watch on Dish, PLus I have ton of programs in my Prime watchlist, so that I rarely use the Dish DVR for recording. If I added anything, it would be Netflix.

Skinny but not cheap
If this keeps going, I may end up with a cheap skinny pack with Dish, so I can keep the Super Stations and Movie Pack, and pick up the rest in the streaming pack. I have been experimenting with this of late, as I added Philo. They are only $20 a month and have no sports channels and they have three channels that Dish doesn't have, Cloo, Aspire (running Julia, Room 222, and The Mod Squad), and BBC World in HD. As much as I like Dish and have been with them for over 20 years now, this constant dispute mess is getting so old. I do not blame Dish. However, as we all feel, we pay for a package of programming we want. One advantage of streaming packages. There are no contracts. If service A drops a channel with a dispute, dropping service A and picking up service B, is a few clicks on a computer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Disney ruined Star Wars ? Did you see the last 3 that Lucas did ? lol..
Of course they're going to claw their assets back to offer them exclusively, it's business!
I'll happily subscribe to Disney, the entertainment budget has lots of room without the extra receiver fees I was paying with dish.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I happen to love both the prequels and Disney editions. Though the original trilogy will always be the best.

Well, one reason is that when included in a package many people, like myself, pay for the package and thus pay for Disney products, even though they don't ever watch those products. If you separate Disney products out to buy separately through streaming, I would never pay for such a group and I suspect that many more will never pay for them. For now, Disney needs satellite and cable packaging to keep them profitable.

The same thing could be said for HBO yet ATT’s demands for Dish renewing the contract ended up with them not being on Dish. Now we should watch and see what happens as the cable company’s HBO contracts come up for renewal. I think we’ll see the same thing happen with them.

The goal of the content producer/providers is to remain profitable and as cable/sat dies off the way they see forward is to start their own service. As CBS and others have either done or are in the process of doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The same thing could be said for HBO yet ATT’s demands for Dish renewing the contract ended up with them not being on Dish.
The same can't be said for HBO, or any ala carte premium service. HBO fetches roughly the same price whether delivered through a traditional linear channel provider like Dish or through streaming services. ATT's demands were solely an extortion based on owning the product which gave them a unique opportunity to strong-arm a competitor to hurt them.

The same can't be said for HBO, or any ala carte premium service. HBO fetches roughly the same price whether delivered through a traditional linear channel provider like Dish or through streaming services. ATT's demands were solely an extortion based on owning the product which gave them a unique opportunity to strong-arm a competitor to hurt them.

And you don’t think ATT will do the same thing to the cable companies? I sure do. HBO will become only available directly from ATT in one form or another.

And you don’t think ATT will do the same thing to the cable companies? I sure do. HBO will become only available directly from ATT in one form or another.

That's not what I was referring to. The "same thing can be said" was in regard to having a channel that is part of a larger package that would lose viewership and subscription revenue if it was charged separately. HBO has always been charged separately, and even if it only became available outside of traditional TV providers, most of those who actively and willingly pay for it will continue to do so, no matter the delivery method.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Wouldn't surprise me if us Flex pack folks end up with another flex pack, with the 5 channels in dispute. AT&T's Watch TV bare-bones streaming service does not have these 5 channels in it.

That tells me the channels are expensive already.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I happen to love both the prequels and Disney editions. Though the original trilogy will always be the best.

My way of expressing this is "I am a sucker for Star Wars (and Star Trek), so take my money already!"

Reactions: osu1991
As this trend continues the rural subscribers will continue to lose out because they cannot reliably access the internet and enough bandwidth to stream content at a reasonable price. The acceleration of subs to OTT services will greatly outpace the installation of rural internet services, leaving the rural subscribers with much less choice and content.

Reactions: ekilgus and Ypsiguy
As this trend continues the rural subscribers will continue to lose out because they cannot reliably access the internet and enough bandwidth to stream content at a reasonable price. The acceleration of subs to OTT services will greatly outpace the installation of rural internet services, leaving the rural subscribers with much less choice and content.

I do think the packaging paradigm will change drastically. Most of the more costly content will end up in "packs". I see a VERY small basic pack eventually and then you choose the add-on packs you want. That may be the only way that satellite/cable can survive. If this happened, it would benefit urban and rural customers.
With all of the ways to deliver content now, cable/satellite will have to adjust or it will die.

My way of expressing this is "I am a sucker for Star Wars (and Star Trek), so take my money already!"

One thing I noticed about Star Trek Discovery on DVD is that it has the fade in/out for commercial placement. Even though it started its run on CBS's All Access site, its ready built for syndication. Just something I noticed, being a big Trekkie.

I bet Paramount Network gets it first.

One thing I noticed about Star Trek Discovery on DVD is that it has the fade in/out for commercial placement. Even though it started on CBS's site, its ready built for syndication. Just something I noticed, being a big Trekkie.

Well, there were commercials on CBS AA if you didn't pay extra for the no commercials version, but yeah, CBS is definitely planning for commercial monetization of their streaming shows.

If Disney pulls this crap, I definitely will NOT be purchasing their stupid streaming app.

Disney just about ruins everything they touch. Star Wars is the prime example of it.

I have absolutely no choice and they know it. My subscriber fate was sealed when they bought the Marvel and Star Wars licenses. Must... watch...The Mandalorian in November....

Reactions: ncted and robstudio
I have absolutely no choice and they know it. My subscriber fate was sealed when they bought the Marvel and Star Wars licenses. Must... watch...The Mandalorian in November....

Definitely if you're a Marvel fan. I was reading that the planned Disney+ online Marvel content will make the movies plotlines almost undecipherable, if you don't subscribe to it.

Last edited:
They need to play nice so they can use cable broadband for iptv

Skinny but not cheap

Shinny is not cheap, but with streaming the prices are cheaper. They do not include everything, but it is an option. With a middle man like Dish, Direct, etc, we will always have these issues. Too bad we cannot buy directly the channels we want. The price per channel would be higher, but we would have what we want and no disputes. The problem with providers, as each one ends up in more and more disputes, the viewer is losing patience. I would like to know how many subs leave the provider when these disputes happen? I am sure Dish lost a lot when the dispute happened with HBO. At least in that case, if the sub has streaming, picking up HBO/Cinemax it could be an add on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)