Looks like I bought a stolen DVR off of ebay

Hawk88

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
USA
Got a call from a detective today in another state. He told me that I bought a HD DVR off of ebay and wanted the RU number (think he means R0)off of the reciever. Im not at home, so I dont have that info, so I have to call him back later. He says that I am in no trouble and they dont even want the box back. I actually have bought 4 off of ebay and I am unsure which one it is (all from different people). Funny thing is, if I ever buy a reciever off ebay, I always call dish and give them the numbers to see if it can be activated. They told me on each one that it is good and I had no problems activating. I have had the last one over a year now. Guess I will call them back when I get off work. ARGGG!!!

Yeah, I was wary of that. So I looked up the sherrif's office and the number they gave are very simular. Im gonna call and ask for the detective by name at the main number, but only the last 3 digits are different and all the people they list on their website have the same numbers except for the last 3. Wonder how they can not require the box back for evidence.

Yeah, I'd call up the main number and ask if the number you were given was valid. They should have no issue letting you know if it is a valid number after you explain you want to make sure this isn't a scam.

I bought an 811 a while back off of EBay (back in the VOOM days), I came home about 3 months after activating and the channels were all red. I called in and they sent me over to some other guy, he wanted to make sure where I got the box and how. I told him the ebay user name and they kicked my programming back on.

had that happen to me once, got a call from sherrifs dept in orlando

seems in my case it was a retailer selling off all of his boxes, which is a no-no
as they were not his property to sell

Always before you buy, call Dish with the CA ID and or Smart card number and asked about the status of the boxes. Becasue there a lot of them out thier that belong to Dish.

Always before you buy, call Dish with the CA ID and or Smart card number and asked about the status of the boxes. Becasue there a lot of them out thier that belong to Dish.

I stated that I did in the first post. Always do. Learned that along time ago.

had that happen to me once, got a call from sherrifs dept in orlando

seems in my case it was a retailer selling off all of his boxes, which is a no-no
as they were not his property to sell

Were you able to keep it?

I guess dish doesn't know if it is stolen or not when you call. Anyway, I will call this afternoon and let you guys know. The hard thing is figuring out which one hes talking about.

It will be interesting to find out "the rest of the story." But I suspect we never will.

Looks like everything is okay. Talked to the Detective and I will be able to keep the 722. Looks like someone stole them from a distribution company. They were investigating something else, and they undercovered huge theft situation. Looks like there were hundreds. Crazy. Im glad nothing is gonna happen to mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts