Looks Like Lin is back!

Here is the email I sent, to all the addresses that scott provided as well as to WTHI

I was reading today of your dispute with Dish Network and wanted to weigh in on it.

I am hearing your dispute involves pennies a day per subscriber and you feel that that is acceptable. My question to you is, what does it cost Lin Media to provide these channels to Dish? (in equipment and other things) or better yet, what does it cost to provide these channels to me on Dish's Network (uplink, Downlink, etc.) who pays for these costs.

I also realize that the argument is that we pay Dish to recieve these channels, which is true, I pay $5 a months for my locals package which includes, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, and 2 PBS channels so six channels in all. And this is small market, some markets also include more local channels then that, and all of them $5 per month for all their locals.

Breaking this down that is 83.3 cents a months per channel, or 2.7 cents per day, per channel. How much a day is Lin wanting from Dish per subsciber to be able to provide your channel to me. I am hearing it is only Pennies per day, but if all 6 providers for locals in my area want pennies a day what would be the cost. How much more would Dish have to charge me just to pay the retransmission fees, not to mention the cost of getting the channels to me as well.

If you are so sure that the rate you are asking for is fair, then why not tell the world what you want per subscriber, per day. do not keep this to yourself, let me decide if it is worth it to me to have your channel.

I will do without your programming if it is dropped from Dish, I will not switch to cable, nor will I put up an antenea or do anything else to recieve it, I will just do without.

I am in the Terre Haute, IN DMA. I will be losing WTHI-TV if you pull your programming.

I look forward to your personal, timely reply

James Walker
Proud Dishnetwork customer for 6+ years, and have no plans of changing that.

From the website of WIVB/WLNO Buffalo, NY...........

On March 4, 20
Question: What can I do in the meantime?

Answer: Call 1-800-333-DISH and tell DISH that you don’t want to lose WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV and all of your favorite programming.

]

lol... don't do that.

It's instances like this that is causing everyones bills to go up. They (the networks) make it sound like its just pennies per subscriber but the problem is that so many networks* are demanding these price increases it affects everyone.

whatever, DISH has the price lock for 2 years, plus you can still receive these channels free with an OTA antennae. i'm not too worried about this

* example : FOX

and my form letter reply from Rod Garvin

Thank you for your email, and if you have a moment, I’d like to explain the situation to you. On March 4, 2011, at Midnight, DISH Network’s contract to carry WTHI-TV will expire. Please know that we are working hard to reach a new agreement with DISH so you will not lose your favorite programming but at this point in time, it does not look like we will reach an agreement. If we do not reach an agreement by March 4th, by law, DISH cannot carry WTHI-TV on its satellite system.

DISH profits by including broadcast stations like ours in its line-up, and like any other business, it should pay fair market value for the ability to resell our stations’ programming to you. Remember, you already pay for our local programming as part of your monthly bill. The fair compensation we are asking for amounts to pennies a day per subscriber. This is actually much less than what cable companies compensate many of its cable networks, which don’t have the high viewing of WTHI-TV.

WTHI-TV is an important asset to the local community. Without a fair agreement, we will not be able to provide the premiere news, sports, entertainment, weather, traffic updates, political coverage and other local and national programming that is most important to you.

We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage you to contact DISH and tell them you don’t want to lose WTHI-TV. You can reach DISH by calling 1-800-333-DISH.
Also, know that you have many choices! You may continue to watch your favorite local programming through alternative means, including over-the-air or by switching to a competing pay-TV provider.

To learn more about your choices and understand the FACTS, please visit our web site WTHITV.com| Terre Haute News, Weather | The Wabash Valley News, Weather Leader.
Thank you for supporting LOCAL television

I try to do all my recording via OTA on the 2 OTA tuners anyways to keep the satellite tuners open for recording shows on other channels.
But the satellite-provided channels, because they're MPEG4, take up a LOT less hard drive space... I used to try and use the OTA channels thinking the PQ would be better. My eyes can't tell a difference. In fact, whatever Dish does to them, the MPEG4 channels look "better" to me.

DISH NETWORK ISSUES STATEMENT ON LIN MEDIA RETRANSMISSION NEGOTIATIONS

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Feb. 28, 2011 – DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement about its ongoing retransmission negotiations with LIN Media regarding continued carriage of local channels in 17 markets:

“LIN Media, a corporate media conglomerate, is threatening to block DISH Network customers from watching its local channels in 17 markets across the country. LIN Media is demanding more than a 140 percent rate hike and other burdensome contract terms that ultimately will result in higher prices for consumers. We are pleased the FCC is meeting this week to seek changes to the outdated retransmission consent process. In the meantime, DISH Network is diligently negotiating with LIN Media, and we’re hopeful we can reach a fair agreement.”

Scott, I can't find a link to this statement on Dish's website, can you provide a link?

Looks like folks are quick to take Dish's side on this, but I really don't know that the customers intrinsically have a horse in this fight. Dish isn't a non-profit organization that takes it's channel fees for various packages, adds them to it's other costs, and then prints out a bill. They have a profit margin, and we don't know what it is. So, I'm not going to automatically buy "We fight these battles to avoid rate increases for consumers". Sometimes these battles are likely fought over how big their profit margin is going to be, which I really have no reason to care about. As a customer, my attitude is "Get me my channels at a price I can afford" -- the behind the scenes politics isn't really my concern, but if an "essential" channel goes out on me, I might switch providers over it once out of contract.

I'm not really effected by the LIN Media dispute, so I wasn't going to comment, but I figured the thread could use a little balance. ;)

Looks like folks are quick to take Dish's side on this, but I really don't know that the customers intrinsically have a horse in this fight. Dish isn't a non-profit organization that takes it's channel fees for various packages, adds them to it's other costs, and then prints out a bill. They have a profit margin, and we don't know what it is. So, I'm not going to automatically buy "We fight these battles to avoid rate increases for consumers". Sometimes these battles are likely fought over how big their profit margin is going to be, which I really have no reason to care about. As a customer, my attitude is "Get me my channels at a price I can afford" -- the behind the scenes politics isn't really my concern, but if an "essential" channel goes out on me, I might switch providers over it once out of contract.

I'm not really effected by the LIN Media dispute, so I wasn't going to comment, but I figured the thread could use a little balance. ;)
I agree my line of thinking is that if Dish network is doing this for me then lower my bill the what they are paying them even if its only a 1/4 of one cent But that will not happen I will pay the same and have one less station.

Sometimes its nice to have stations that are owned by either the Network (CBS, FOX, MY) or a huge conglomerate that doesnt have issues (Gannett) in the market

Although Minneapolis does have those 2 stations that are owned by "we're small but we think we're the biggest out there" Hubbard Boradcasting (remember USSB?) ;)

Last time this happened was back in March of 2008.

It took them until the 13th to strike a deal.

Here is the press release from that deal. AGAIN THIS IS FROM 2008... THEY HAVE NOT REACHED A DEAL AS OF YET.

DISH Network® and LIN TV Reach Retransmission and
Marketing Agreement

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS
WIRE)--DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the leader in digital television
and the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider, and LIN TV Corp. (NYSE: TVL), a
local television and digital media company, today announced they have entered
into an agreement for the retransmission of LIN TV’s broadcast stations in both
standard and high-definition. The deal covers television stations owned and/or
operated by LIN TV spanning 17 markets.

The retransmission agreement
includes: KASA-TV and KRQE-TV (Albuquerque); KXAN-TV and KNVA-TV (Austin);
WIVB-TV and WNLO-TV (Buffalo); WWHO-TV (Columbus); WDTN-TV (Dayton); WANE-TV
(Ft. Wayne); WOOD-TV and WOTV-TV (Grand Rapids); WLUK-TV (Green Bay); WTNH-TV
and WCTX-TV (Hartford-New Haven); WISH-TV and WNDY-TV (Indianapolis); WLFI-TV
(Lafayette); WALA-TV and WBPG-TV (Mobile); WAVY-TV and WVBT-TV (Norfolk);
WPRI-TV and WNAC-TV (Providence); WWLP-TV (Springfield); WTHI-TV (Terre Haute)
and WUPW-TV (Toledo).

In addition, DISH Network and LIN TV have reached a
new marketing and promotional agreement to encourage consumers to switch to DISH
Network if LIN TV’s local station signal is removed from a cable system. The
parties will jointly market LIN TV’s availability on DISH Network so viewers
will have the opportunity to continue watching their favorite local news and
programming.

Other details include an agreement to build awareness of the
upcoming digital transition. DISH Network and LIN TV will work together to
educate consumers about the February 17, 2009 switch by providing information
about transition requirements and digital-to-analog converter boxes. DISH
Network offers a government coupon-eligible digital-to-analog converter box that
retails at $39.99 and is essentially free to consumers with the
coupon.

“This multi-faceted agreement with DISH Network confirms our
desire to deliver high-quality digital programming to all our viewers and to
find creative ways to promote the digital transition. It ensures that our
viewers will always have an alternative means of accessing the most important
channels on television,” said Vincent L. Sadusky, president and chief executive
officer of LIN TV Corp. “Our mutually acceptable economic agreement with DISH
Network reflects the value of broadcast television on multi-channel television
providers.”

“We are pleased that we were able to come to an agreement
with LIN TV, both to retransmit their signals and to enhance our marketing
capabilities,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of programming for DISH
Network. “We are excited to have a local network broadcast partner that we can
work with to build awareness about the important upcoming digital
transition.”

“We are committed to leading the digital transition across
the country, and this relationship is a big part of that commitment to
consumers,” said DISH Network senior vice president and chief marketing officer
Jessica Insalaco. “DISH Network customers will be supported with ongoing
carriage of popular LIN TV stations in local markets and with 100 percent
digital programming and transmission throughout the transition period. If you
have DISH Network, you will always be on the cutting edge of all things
digital.”

Cable customers who are affected by future channel
retransmission disputes in LIN TV markets and who wish to switch to DISH Network
should call 1-888-DISH-950 to sign up.

About LIN TV

LIN TV Corp.,
along with its subsidiaries (“LIN TV” or “the Company”), is a local television
and digital media company, owning and/or operating 29 television stations in 17
U.S. markets, all of which are affiliated with a national broadcast network. LIN
TV’s highly-rated stations deliver important local news and community stories,
along with top-rated sports and entertainment programming, to 9% of U.S.
television homes, reaching an average of 10.2 million households per week. LIN
TV is also a leader in the convergence of local broadcast television and the
Internet through its television station web sites and a growing number of local
online innovations. LIN TV is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the
symbol “TVL”. Financial information about the company is available at www.lintv.com.

About DISH Network
Corporation

DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) provides more than
13.78 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer
satisfaction, which has surpassed major cable companies for seven years running.
DISH Network customers also enjoy access to a premier line of award-winning
Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), hundreds of video and audio channels, the most
International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV
applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH
Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest
all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet
service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is
included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com/aboutus or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for
more information.

LIN pulled this a few years back, I'm with Dish 100% on this one...
Apparently, it was a three-year agreement. Page from 2008:

Dish Network Strikes Deal For Local HD

Looks like they were trying to cover their bases and expected problems with other providers too:

As part of the agreement, Dish and LIN will also partner in marketing efforts to encourage people to switch to Dish if LIN decides to remove its channels from the local cable operator's lineup in a carriage dispute.

Well now isn't that little remark about "marketing efforts" interesting........

We would lose our CBS local on Dish. We will get it with our outdoor antenna OTA and be able to watch in HD, plus we still have the converter box hooked up to the VCR in the room where we watch TV2 from our 722K. I clicked on the local station's "Dish is evil" link and left them a nice message that expecting a 140% increase in today's economy is what is truly unfair.

From the website of WIVB/WLNO Buffalo, NY...........

On March 4, 2011, DISH’s contract to carry WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV will expire. Please know that we are working hard to reach a new agreement with DISH so you will not lose your favorite programming. If we do not reach an agreement, by law, DISH cannot carry our television stations on its satellite system.

[Deleted for brevity]

If this continues, Dish will lose both Sabres and Bills games...not a good way to be successful in this market.

If these channels are lost, Dish better send me 3 OTA modules for free. We're not going to pay $120 to keep getting these channels. That or a provider switch is in order...not that I'm not considering that already. MSG has been enough of a reason to switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts