Looks Like Lin is back!

I was checking our local stations site, and facebook page for comments. WHTI TV. it would appear just reading through the comments that 90% give or take seem to side with Dish on this issue.
No one thinks a 140% increase is in order. I will do without our local programming, as I can watch CBS shows online, not that they have anything really great. 2 maybe 3 shows total, and as for local news, I will just have to switch to their competition.

I believe this is one reason why the networks are blocking the Revue. Any Revue user would not be subject to these hostage like situations. Fox still works on my Revue so I can still see family guy and house so let em do battle. It is good for us in long run. Dish needs to stand their ground.

Here is what I received back from my e-mail to our CBS affiliate, a LIN-owned station:

WANE-TV has been an important member of the local community since 1954
and we are committed to providing our viewers around-the-clock news,
political coverage, traffic, weather, public service announcements, as
well as high quality local and national programming. The bottom line is
DISH profits by including broadcast stations like WANE-TV in its
line-up. Like any other business, DISH should pay fair market value for
the ability to resell our station's programming to you.

The rates we are asking for are a fraction of what DISH pays for many
cable networks that you may never even watch. Local television stations
are consistently ranked among the most-watched channels, in part because
we provide local news and programming that cable networks don't offer
and we host/sponsor important community service events, yet we do not
get compensated fairly for the value of our stations. Nobody would find
that reasonable, which is why Congress enacted laws that allow us to
negotiate for fair compensation.

DISH is using 140% as a public relations scare tactic. The fact is we
are asking for pennies a day per subscriber. Any increase in pennies is
going to result in a large percentage. For instance, if you go from 1
cent to 2 cents, that is a 100% increase. We are only asking for fair
value, again pennies a day per subscriber, which is far less than what
DISH is paying for cable channels that you may never even watch.

We are working hard to reach a deal with DISH so that you won't lose
access to your favorite programs. All we want is what is fair, so we can
continue to serve our communities.

Thank you for supporting local television.

I wonder exactly how many pennies we are talking here?

How much is WANE paying DISH Network to help them broadcast their signal to the residents of their community where their signal is supposed to be received? ZERO.

How much ad revenue does the station share with DISH Network because more people are seeing its signal? ZERO

How much does WANE pay DISH Network to build and launch these satellites which cost a half a billion dollars so that WANE's signal can be broadcast? ZERO

If they wanted to serve their communities that would say THANK YOU to DISH Network for helping them reach their community or they would invest in better transmitters so that their signal reaches viewers in their area that they are supposed to serve.

dahenny said:
Yeah, but when is the last time Dish raised prices on locals? I've been paying $5 for years, with Dish even adding other locals besides the big 4, AND, increasing the number of HD feeds as well.

Forcing locals on almost everybody, thus making everyone pay the $5, is an increase.

New Mexico LIN, Fo:mad:6327,2) and CBS(6325,13), went off at 1:10am MST and were back on before I had changed all my recordings to OTA, i.e., before 1:30. It sure would help if we could change recording channel in the timer's edit, then the priority would not change.

I want MPEG-4 not MPEG-2 recording until I get around to seeing them.
-Ken

On March 4, 2011 at Midnight, DISH’s contract to carry certain local television stations owned, operated, or serviced by LIN Media will expire.
Maybe that means tonight at midnight?? Or, like the NFL labor issue, an extension was granted to allow further discussions??

Just like cable. You have basic cable you are paying for locals.

Now with the age of Digital OTA Broadcasts and the ease to receive quality reception on local channels with a simple antenna; and the advent on of online programing; local broadcasters, dbs and cable companies need to rethink their pricing strategies, before they price themselves right out existence. If in the near future, the NHL offers a app for NHLCI similar to the MLB.TV for my samsumg internet tv, I will have no need for satellite or cable, other than for internet access.:rolleyes:

Maybe that means tonight at midnight?? Or, like the NFL labor issue, an extension was granted to allow further discussions??
Looks like that's what it is. From TribStar.com, dated today:

Negotiators have until midnight today to settle a retransmission dispute between Lin Media and DISH Network.

If a new contract is not signed, DISH Network subscribers in the Wabash Valley might not be able to access Terre Haute CBS affiliate WTHI-TV on Saturday.

WTHI owner in fees fight with DISH » News » News From Terre Haute, Indiana

I switched to DirecTV, but was with Dish a long time. They still don't have MSG in HD like DirecTV does, but that's a different story..

I look at our real recording habits .... or maybe I should say I look at my WIFE's real recording habits because I don't record much at all ... and she records MOSTLY NBC, CBS, ABC, WNLO (local CW), and.... I have great antenna reception, so I wonder if I could just set up a spare computer to record on several USB tuners.

If we went back to OTA-only, we would lose the HGTV, DIY, etc and we watch those every saturday morning, and I'd lose my Sabres hockey games. I gotta wonder if that's worth $85 a month. These carriage disputes just piss people off as the TV stations and cable companies and satellite companies squabble over dollars in amounts that make us wonder what the hell we did wrong. :)

But I gotta say I think I'd get a lot more done around the house if we went back to OTA-only. hehehe

My interaction with our local affiliate:
=====
Bill,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I do appreciate fair market values and LIN's right to ask whatever fees they want for rebroadcast of their programming.

I live in Pojoaque, and cable is not available, and I cannot get your signal OTA at my house. I've been a Dish Network subscriber around 15 years, and have no inclination to switch over to DirectTV. Therefore, if/when this contract expires I will not be getting KASA or KRQE.

Also, what bugs me about this, is that certainly, LIN has the right to charge what they want, however, Dish Network is NOT allowed to offer alternative FOX/CBS from East Coast/West Coast, or even Denver. It seems to me that the "fair market" is not so fair. The consumers are the real losers in this battle.

I suppose I could investigate getting my FOX/CBS programming via the Internet...

Again, thanks for your response Bill.

--Daniel Pruitt

On 3/3/2011 9:05 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> I hate these stupid messages too Daniel. We tried to avoid this, we had gotten DISH to agree that if there were not a deal imminent we would spare you all of this by simpling extending the current contract 30 days so we could keep talking. No one would ever know the difference. They broke that promise and walked away last Thursday. And we had 5 days to reach you with messages before we were cut off and the only message you would see, we theirs.
>
> Here's some more info I've shared with others Daniel,
>
> __________________________
>
> Thank you for writing. I've heard about the responses that DISH is giving their customers and how DISH is using 140% as a public relations scare tactic. The fact is we are asking for pennies a day per subscriber. Any increase in pennies is going to result in a large percentage. For instance, if you go from 1 cent to 2 cents, that is a 100% increase. We are only asking for fair value, again pennies a day per subscriber, which is far less than what DISH is paying for cable channels that you may never even watch. You might ask them, “what does my subscription fee pay for exactly?” Let me give you a few facts that they have failed to mention:
>
>
>
> First of all, they broke of negotiations last week to go skiinig. We offered to extend the contract by 30 days to keep talking and they declined to meet over the weekend and now here we are.
>
>
>
> More importantly, Dish (and DirectTV, Comcast; etc.) have each made a business out of picking up the free over-the-air programming that local stations like ours (and KOAT, KOB, etc.) pay for and produce, and then they sell us to you . It's been a good business for them, in fact local stations account for most of the viewing of their satellite customers. What they are not telling you however, is that they not only make money off your subscription fees, they also derive revenues from selling advertising, and then they use these profits to go buy hundreds of niche networks that very few viewers will ever watch (did you notice you were paying for KBS World, the Korean broadcast network with english subtitles in your basic package? How much would you be paying if you paid for what you actually watch?) What they do not want you to know is that you are subsidizing the purchase of other networks, some of which they compensate multiple times the amount they pay local stations. And they compensate other small, niche networks catering to only a handful of viewers. They pay for these networks but then they threaten to raise your subscription fees and blame local broadcasters for increases in your subscriptions. Does that make sense to you? This has been a problem for some time, so agreeing with broadcaster's right to fair compensation, Congress gave broadcasters the right to negotiate with these guys for fair value for our programming. That was the meeting that Dish walked out of. We are a company that has invested heavily here in New Mexico, being a local business and a steady employer. And they are everything but that. Which is why you can make contact with me today, but you have to speak to a 1-800 operator with Dish.
>
>
>
> I sincerely apologize for this, I know it may seem to you like greedy businesses just bumping heads. It's a more principled disagreement than that. One of us has taken great financial risk creating all of this programming, and one of us is hoping to benefit from that obscenely. If you want to pay for what you watch, and do not want to subsidize the University of California Channel (that's in your basic package too) let them know that, and I think you'll find they have plenty of other opportunities to be profitable without cheating us or raising your fees.
>
>
>
> Thanks for writing.
>
>
> From: Daniel Pruitt [mailto:dp@cruzito.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:33 PM
> To: keepKASAonDISH@kasa.com; ceo@dishnetwork.com
> Subject: Thanks, but...
>
> KASA:
> Thanks for the alert, but do you really need to put American Idol into SD and run this banner?
>
> KASA/DISH NETWORK:
> I suspect most consumers don't care how/who/why LIN's contract with Dish is settled... only that it is done.
>
> If this negotiation is not settled and your stations are pulled off of DISH Network, then it is not only DISH's failure but also LIN's... You both LOSE! That this negotiation has come down to the final days before the existing contract expires is irresponsible on everyone's part.
>
> Fix it!

Dish and LIN Media: Blackout looms with no settlement in sight - FierceCable

Love the reasoning by Lin. They are asking less than the Cable Channels..... No kidding, they are supposed to provide their signal for free, thus the protection they get in not allowing any other DMA network to be seen...... I beg Dish to not cave in on this.....Or before you know it we will be paying $10, $12 - who know how much for locals just so the network can make money for something that is supposed to be free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)