LOS and a business question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mixz1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Cancun, Mexico
Hello everybody. I'm a newbie to this, so please be patient. Your answers can be technical. I have broadcast, television and cinema experience. I just don't know quack about satellites. I am in Cancun, Mexico. I just installed a 322 receiver. I have two questions.

First question: The system was installed and aimed yesterday. Picture and sound are terrific. At 6 AM this morning when I turned on one of the TVs, the Dish logo appeared and the unit began looking for a signal. Complete service was not restored until about 9:17 AM. Details on the diagnostics page indicate a high number of LOS between 3:17 AM and 9:17 AM EDT. Am i getting cloaked from the satellite by some kind of orbital dynamic, or was this a one time event (I guess I could wait until tomorrow, but curious minds want to know).

Second question: I contracted for locals for Florida and New York. The account rep on the phone said he had to get "waivers" in place and it could take up to 45 days. Okay, what are waivers and why so long?

And for the curious, I have a home in Florida and a home in Cancun. I spend most of my time in Cancun, so I brought the equipment with me. If you ever had to watch Sky TV Latin America, you'd understand why :).

TIA for any and all answers.

mixz1 said:
Hello everybody. I'm a newbie to this, so please be patient. Your answers can be technical. I have broadcast, television and cinema experience. I just don't know quack about satellites. I am in Cancun, Mexico. I just installed a 322 receiver. I have two questions.

First question: The system was installed and aimed yesterday. Picture and sound are terrific. At 6 AM this morning when I turned on one of the TVs, the Dish logo appeared and the unit began looking for a signal. Complete service was not restored until about 9:17 AM. Details on the diagnostics page indicate a high number of LOS between 3:17 AM and 9:17 AM EDT. Am i getting cloaked from the satellite by some kind of orbital dynamic, or was this a one time event (I guess I could wait until tomorrow, but curious minds want to know).
what size Dish do you have? Its very possible due to the satellite's orbit your dish may be too small to pick it up and are on the fringe of the signal. Since the satellite technically covers just the Continental US (and a little bit more) you might need a larger dish

Second question: I contracted for locals for Florida and New York. The account rep on the phone said he had to get "waivers" in place and it could take up to 45 days. Okay, what are waivers and why so long?
I assume you used a Florida address for service? If so, then you would subscribe to whatever Florida area you are in (Miami, Tampa, etc). To get the NY stations, you would need waivers. These are documents that are sent to the local affiliates in your market and they have to be signed to allow you to get NY nets (the local stations are giving up their right to be the exclusive nets for you). If your address is really close to the towers, you probably won't get waivers. Best option to get NY nets is a RV exemption.

woo hoo! 15000 posts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)