Lose signal on dig channels sometimes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lonewolf454

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Georgia, US
If dsr-922 4dtv receiver sits for a while, like overnight, it will have message pop up that says "cannot find channel, continuing to search". I can usually clear this up by switching to analog channel, sometimes switch between 23, 24 (H to V) then back to a digital channel to get lock/picture.

It seems to be worse when its cold. I wonder if it is most likely the DMS lnb -or - servo not rotating feed hook far enough. But if it was servo/polorotar I dont understand how switching to analog would fix it. I have a spare (used) Eagle Aspen lnb but figured the DMS would be better with digital since it has a lower degree.

sounds like a bad or freezing servo motor. check all your connections and be sure no corrosion is in the coax connections. make sure coax is in good condition. servo wires are connected and intact.

servo motors are a high wear item and it may need replaced. ebay 20.00

I swapped the 13k DMS lnb with spare 30k Eagle Aspen, didn't have any problems last night nor this morning when I checked, seemed to lock channels quicker too. Time will tell but appears to be problem with DMS lnb (oscillator drift, etc).

One thing I did notice, is picture doesnt seem as sharp now.

lnb's can be hard to diagnose. I have had some flakey ones that only acted up when they were cold. temps dip below 30 and no signal or greatly reduced signal. it drives you nuts.

That's one reason i always tell people putting up c band dishes to keep them accessible if possible. it makes working on them a lot easier. Terrestrial interference will cause intermittent drop outs too. I could use a stop watch and time the TI here. I believe it was radar of some type. don't know for sure and i don't own a spectrum analyzer (everyone can have a nice hewlett packard model for a little over 16,000 dollars).

With the cheap LNB's they make nowadays I expect problems from them. Even some of the well known name brands such as Norsat lately have been flaky I've heard. They just don't make quality like they used to. LNB's like DMS are a dime a dozen offshore junk. Back in the day things were made in the USA.

Heres the ad from the LNB that is on my big dish. Look where it was made :D 1989 was a good year for satellite equipment.

Attachments

• California Amplifier..jpg
    California Amplifier..jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 167
Wow, lasted since '89. thats some track record!

Two days, so far so good. The DMS says "MADE IN CHINA" so no wonder. What are the good brands then nowadays? I would like to get a crisper picture than what I am getting via the 30k Eagle Aspen, but it is locking channels ok, so it isn't crucial.

I have seen dual polarity lnbs , some by Eagle Aspen on ebay for about 50 bucks, I wonder if these are worth looking into? If so I might try one on the 6 foot once I get the 10' RayDX up.

I would recommend California Amplifier. My LNB is a working advertisement for them. If you can find a good older one such as I have from a used system I think you would do better off than most of the new stuff. The low price products they sell these days means low quality. Just like with the Moteck Actuator I bought last January to replace my 19.5 year old Thompson Saginaw. It's already off the dish after 11 months because of loosing count problems and been replaced with my old Thompson Saginaw again. All that happened in 19.5 years were the brushes wore out. My friend made new brushes from carbon stock and cut the commutator now it works like brand new. Now it's pushing 20 years.

They just don't build them like they used to. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts