Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Hehe, that was a MAJOR reason we switched to HD Absolute ! No more Spongebob !

You know, I always wondered why we got Comedy Central, but not MTV/VH1/Nick in Absolute (Or any of the Dish America packs). Aren't they all Viacom channels? I just think it's really weird that the only way to get Nick is Top 120 or above.

Well it had to end.... I guess. You always here about people having packages that haven't been available for 5-10 or more years because they are "Grandfathered in" not quite sure why we don't get the same protection. That being said, "Dish America" has pretty much all I ever watch for $30 a month so I think I am happy. It even has 2 of the 3 chans I cared about from the Platinum pack, HD theater and Palladia (the other being nat geo). Does anyone know if you can get the regional sports packages with Dish America?

Brad

Stan, you better call and make sure of your prices and the terms because every Direct price I have seen while searching is only for 12 months. After that it doubles.
Your package on the 13 month will be 59.99 plus receiver fee's, plus taxes, plus etc.ect.. So your 51.00 pack will most likely go up to 89.99. Ouch!

On another subject.

I just got off the phone with the retention department and they offered me:
Top 200 package
Free hd for life
Free platinum for 12 months.
Free hbo and showtime for 3 months
free Starz for 6 months (with auto pay)
and a $20.00 credit for 12 months.

and all with no future commitment.
So I will probably stay for at least 12 months and like she said, "Call back in 12 months and we will see what we can do then".

Very sweet girl. She was from the west Virginia office also.
I also found out that they have my 722 listed as "customer owned", so I don't have to send it back if I leave.

My HDABs install date was 4/18/08. The same day I got my big screen and I had to pay $99 to get the 722
My first monthly payment didn't happen until about August or September of 2009 Due to a billing error that gave me a few hundred in credits. The installer tried to activate 6 different 722 units thru the 800 number and they all failed to activate. But each time he called in, I got a 99 credit to my account. SWEET!!!

Had cinemax for 1 cent for a year.
HBO and Showtime for 6 months for free

Total out of pocket cost for 34 months of service has been $622.06 or 18.30 a month average.
Plus I get to keep my 722.

Yea, Dish has been really good to me. No need to think about messing around with Direct.

And.

On another note. She said that in the next few months hopefully, there will be a software update that will make the program search function operate like a web browser.
You search for a show or movie and it first searches the next two weeks of programming, then if it doesn't find it, it will search using a couple of internet databases for the program. Once it finds the program and you choose to download it, it will download in the background to your disc. Where you will be able to save it in a library .
NICE.
seems that there really is some things to still look forward too.
RIP HDABS.

Switched to Dish America today via the retention office (tip - fastest way to get to the loyalty department is to tell the automated voice system "cancel service"). She offered what the letter did, including the $10/mo credit. She didn't think the $10 credit and platinum would apply to the Dish America, so I asked her to check. She confirmed it was OK. They couldn't future date the change, so I had her do it. While on the phone someone else got back to her and said they could not do that credit, but, since she had already promised she gave it anyway. We'll be fine. Our bill will go down for the first year, then the same (as I drop platinum). Yes, we'll lose a channel or two we watch. But, I'm not paying Cox $90 for similar service.

I'm just not sure anymore, but can someone who has Dish America Silver (or Gold) confirm that these packages include/don't include msnbcHD? The E* website shows them included (still, after all these months), but I think folks said not actually included, but maybe msnbcHD actually is included now?

msnbcHD listed in DA: Silver/Gold:

DISH America - DISH Network

I'm just not sure anymore, but can someone who has Dish America Silver (or Gold) confirm that these packages include/don't include msnbcHD? The E* website shows them included (still, after all these months), but I think folks said not actually included, but maybe msnbcHD actually is included now?

msnbcHD listed in DA: Silver/Gold:

DISH America - DISH Network

I switched to Silver, and I have msnbcHD (ch 208)

Stan, you better call and make sure of your prices and the terms because every Direct price I have seen while searching is only for 12 months. After that it doubles.
Your package on the 13 month will be 59.99 plus receiver fee's, plus taxes, plus etc.ect.. So your 51.00 pack will most likely go up to 89.99. Ouch!

Here's my breakdown: (I'm ignoring taxes & rounding up, all prices monthly): Choice xtra is $64, dvr/whole house svc is $10, addl rec is $5, hd is free; so that's $79 a month, or $1896 for 24 months. The discounts are $24 + $5 for 12 months (equals $348), $10 mo x 10 months referral (equals $100), then $14 mo for the 13th thru 24th month ($168 total). That makes the total discount $616 over 24 months, so I have $1896 minus $616 equals $1280, divided by 24 months service, equals $53.33 a month average. I was off slightly in my original figuring. It's a better deal to get the Choice xtra (I guess Direct couldn't afford to "buy" an "e".....) because the whole house/dvr setup is only $10 a month, instead of $20 a month with the Choice pack. If you are a AAA member it's an even better deal, you get $200 off ($10 month for 20 months), however you wouldn't get the referral discount. (To get the referral discount to show up, you have to have someones direct acct #, then you and them will get the discount). No matter what, I'm paying more than what Absolute cost ($36 month). The Choice xtra pack is (for our viewing habits) a better match than AT200, and will be cheaper over the 24 month period. After the 24th month I'll evaluate and see what's the best deal.

Switched to Dish America today via the retention office (tip - fastest way to get to the loyalty department is to tell the automated voice system "cancel service"). She offered what the letter did, including the $10/mo credit. She didn't think the $10 credit and platinum would apply to the Dish America, so I asked her to check. She confirmed it was OK. They couldn't future date the change, so I had her do it. While on the phone someone else got back to her and said they could not do that credit, but, since she had already promised she gave it anyway. We'll be fine. Our bill will go down for the first year, then the same (as I drop platinum). Yes, we'll lose a channel or two we watch. But, I'm not paying Cox $90 for similar service.

Called the loyalty dept today and they didn't even offer as good as the letter stated so I hung up and will call later. I talked to Devon ZWQ or something similar. Then I was transferred to his supervisor and they wouldn't budge: Dish America Silver with a $5 credit for 12 mo and no HD platinum. (I didn't even get to the free HD for life option for future).

Retention Roulette is next I guess. They said that the HD platinum offer isn't available now and won't be until Feb 1. This doesn't jive with the letter nor with what other's have been posting here so I cut the call short to avoid further headace today.

Now if only there was a way to get a hold of a particular operator that is helpful...

Called the loyalty dept today and they didn't even offer as good as the letter stated so I hung up and will call later. I talked to Devon ZWQ or something similar. Then I was transferred to his supervisor and they wouldn't budge: Dish America Silver with a $5 credit for 12 mo and no HD platinum. (I didn't even get to the free HD for life option for future).

Retention Roulette is next I guess. They said that the HD platinum offer isn't available now and won't be until Feb 1. This doesn't jive with the letter nor with what other's have been posting here so I cut the call short to avoid further headace today.

Now if only there was a way to get a hold of a particular operator that is helpful...

Seems it depends on who you talk to as some members have gotten $15 off and platinum.

Just got a call too. The best they were able to offer me was $15 off with AT250 or $10 off with Dish America Gold (or perhaps with any other plan). That's for 12 months and in addition to free Platinum. I said I would think about it and asked to call me back in a few days.

I did verify though that any credits/discounts would be gone should I take Dish Pause even for a month. :(

I just got off of the phone with Dish. I they are offering me free Platinum HD 3 different options:
1. Any "new customer" offer
2. $15 off any "America's Top" package for a year
3. $10 off any "Dish America" package

I was getting ready to watch the BCS championship, so I forgot to ask about free premiums.

My agent was American and seemed extremely knowledgeable. I did ask when we were getting ESPNU HD and the Disney HD channels back. She said there was no movement that she was aware of and that negotiations were not even occurring.

Anyhow, I told her to call me back. She said I'd be set in the auto dial queue and someone else would talk to be, but she would document her offer.

I hope the next person will offer me some premiums. I'm seriously considering leaving (been a customer since 2001); my options are: Comcast Xfinity, AT&T U-Verse, Directv, or cutting the chord. Not sure what to do right now...

I just received my call from Dish (received letter last week) I took top 250, received HD for life (free), Platinum HD (free for 12 months) and $15 credit per month for 12 months. No new commitment so will reevaluate at end of the 12 months.

When you get retentions, listen to the csr and if she sounds young and very southern? You got a winner.
But if you get an older woman, a very business sounding woman or a burly sounding man? Just hang up and try later.
The CSR I got a hold of talked to me about everything from the snow were expecting (their on the other side of the mountains) to where she got her sexy sounding accent from and where she went to school. We talked for close to an hour and a half and not one time during the entire conversation did she ever have to ask for a managers approval for anything.
Not sure how their retention system is working when you call, but most of the guys around me are having similar luck getting switched over.
I guess its just luck of the draw on which CSR center you get.

Disk called me a few minutes ago, and offered everything in the letter, plus $10 off for a year. I told her I'd think about it.

What are the chances that retention would offer the "American Welcome Pack with locals" for $14.99, Platinum HD free for 1 year, and $15 credit for 1 year to Absolute HD subscribers to make the switch?

I am seriously thinking of doing a locals only now. However, I have TV Globo, for my wife, and BabyFirstTV for my kids. Can you keep a la cartes like that with local only? Also, can you keep DVR with that package? I work shift work, so I record most shows. I'd get faster internet, and catch any other shows online. Pitty I can't find most Science channel shows online. That's my go-to channel when nothing else is on! Also have Netflix, and looking into Hulu. Any other options out there?
Really sad/ upset to lose Absolute. Got my letter last Friday. Are the phone calls showing up as Restricted? Had one of those the other day.

Baby First is available a la carte for $5/mo. TV Globo is $19.99/mo. With Globo, it appears you have to get locals as a minimum.

Baby First is available a la carte for $5/mo. TV Globo is $19.99/mo. With Globo, it appears you have to get locals as a minimum.

I have a leased receiver, and I thought I saw on here somewhere that you couldn't do locals only with a leased receiver. OTOH, can it be set up as an international package with locals?