Losing signal on both 110 and 119

buggage

Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Manchester, CT
Hi, thought I'd take a minute to register and post. Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.

System = Dish 500, one dish, one receiver feeding two TV's. Only one cable connected to the LNB and from there, into the house.

Here's the problem. A few weeks back lost signal completely for about 3/4 hours. Clear night, no wind, rain, etc to cause any problems. Checked the software settings and no signal from either 110 or 119 on the "Point Dish" screens. "System Info "settings show, eventually, red x's under both satellites. Called dish, went through their "troubleshooting" scripts and eventually they just said they needed to send a tech. Didn't have anyone out yet as I'm not around when a tech can come out (which was only during the hours of 8-4), and can't schedule time off easily with my work. Also received message on the screen that there had been no signal for about 12 hours, which was just way off...after the 2/3 hours signal came back and haven't lost it since...until tonight again.

Signal strength for both 110 and 119 were/are around 78.

Tonight, same problem. No signal at all, pretty much same as above, though I did get a signal a few times so far for maybe a few minutes (if that), then drops, and starts trying to acquire signal. During this time when the signal comes back, I've checked the signal strenght and still showing around 78 for both satellites. So far tonight it's been going on around two hours already. Again, perfectly clear night, no real weather going that should affect it.

After the first time, I checked the dish, and found the LNB was pretty loose, however, just tightening the screws beneath fixed that. Dish itself is pretty solid, really not much wiggle at all...I was thinking maybe the dish needs to be re-pointed (which probably isn't a bad idea), but not not sure.

When this happens, there are no usual signs the dish is losing signal (no pixelation to the picture, etc) it just drops. Noticed that the dish box actually even restarted itself, last time and this time.

Any suggestions? Right now, after about two hours, seem to have signal again and everything seems fine again (right now anyway).

Well, it was good for about an hour, now lost signal again. Lost several times in the past hour, but only for about a few seconds each time, for the most part it was solid. Notice too that eact time tonight that it tries acquiring signal it's always seems to be searcing for 110...

Last edited:
Could be a bad lnb or bad tuner.

I'd shut everything down and totally disconnect the dish from the receiver, run a check switch without the dish connected, reconnect the dish, run check switch again and see if that restores signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)