Losing signal via hdmi from 722

Thanks for all the ideas an suggestions everyone. I took the TV back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a Samsung 120 hz and wa lah!! No problems!!

Another option would be to contact the TV manufacturer and see if they have an update for this issue. If they do, they will usually send a USB stick to you in the mail with the update if it is something that cannot be fixed through your settings.

YourHero101 said:
Try hooking up the tv w/ component cables or something like that and just see what that does if it does the same thing i would try putting the recv on another tv w/ the same kind of connection you were using on your new tv and if it still does it then its the recv if it does not then its the tv somehow putting its self back in some sort of default mode

For some reason, i think this man doesnt have a second tv with an hdmi port, since he was using a "regular tv" before this one.

If trying all the hdmi ports and a new hdmi cable doesnt resomlve the issue, i personally would recommend a service call. Possibly need to change recievers.

Hope you have the protection plan.

Well, that answers the question. It was the TV.
Not necessarily true ... it could still be the receiver, and the Samsung may be more forgiving of the receiver's faults.

Good choice, exactly as I predicted!
he's just lucky that was an option for him. For some they may be upgrading to DishHD and the TV's been in the house for a year ... what company in their right mind would take back a tv under those conditions? Replacing the TV was just the fastest solution available ... not the proper one.

Replacing the TV was just the fastest solution available ... not the proper one.
What is the proper solution in your opinion then? This was brand new TV, why not return it for a brand name instead of some Best Buy house brand.

I have plenty of complains about the Dish receivers, that is not one of them. If that was a receiver problem then there would be MILLIONS of complains rather than a handful.

What is the proper solution in your opinion then? This was brand new TV, why not return it for a brand name instead of some Best Buy house brand.

I have plenty of complains about the Dish receivers, that is not one of them. If that was a receiver problem then there would be MILLIONS of complains rather than a handful.
well its not a matter of "not returning" its a matter of what was the real *cause*. The cause was a problem with HDMI ... the real solution, would have been for Dish, to research the TV, find how *it* or *dish's eqiupment* was failing, and issue a fix, or the flip side, if the problem was in fact the TV ... dish to contact the TV manufacturer, tell them they have a problem in their firmware, that TV manufacturer addresses it in a firmware fix.

The problem *you* seem to have is with Insignia ... your words indicate that you think less of Insignia than other brand names.. maybe that's partly true ... but also its true that *BRAND NAMED* equipment has faults too. The simple fact is, that you want to pretend they don't or pretend that everyone should have the same problem from the same receiver if the receiver were the fault... when its possible the other end of the hardware could be more forgiving or more proactive in forcing an HDMI refresh.

A prime example of your brand name failure issue ... with Bluray, but resolution was still the same .. firmware update.
http://njnnetwork.com/2010/04/avatar-blu-ray-wont-play-on-all-players/

Denon, Panasonic, Sony, and yes, Samsung (which I found out and had to wait an additional 2 weeks to get yet another firmware update that finally fixed playback issues).

Last edited:
Your example to me is apple and oranges. You are talking about playing a disc in a player that will not work in a variety of players. Clearly a specific disc issue, not an equipment issue.

I also feel you have it backwards. Unless you know that Dish has many or even several issues with a variety of TV's regarding this issue, why would Dish have to do much investigation? It's clearly a problem with that TV - either literally that exact TV has a malfunction, or that model in general is different is some way than most every other TV out there. If that was not true the forums here would be filled with people having problems with HDMI and Dish receivers. Other than the PPV issue, I am not aware of many of these types of complaints.

It's not always the fault of Dish. Clearly, the best action was taken by the OP, pick from almost any other TV out there and not have a problem, or keep this one, wait for Dish to do a year long investigation, to find out their receiver is fine, it is that TV......

Your example to me is apple and oranges. You are talking about playing a disc in a player that will not work in a variety of players. Clearly a specific disc issue, not an equipment issue.

I also feel you have it backwards. Unless you know that Dish has many or even several issues with a variety of TV's regarding this issue, why would Dish have to do much investigation? It's clearly a problem with that TV - either literally that exact TV has a malfunction, or that model in general is different is some way than most every other TV out there. If that was not true the forums here would be filled with people having problems with HDMI and Dish receivers. Other than the PPV issue, I am not aware of many of these types of complaints.

It's not always the fault of Dish. Clearly, the best action was taken by the OP, pick from almost any other TV out there and not have a problem, or keep this one, wait for Dish to do a year long investigation, to find out their receiver is fine, it is that TV......
Dish is the signal source in this case ... its their responsibility to properly attempt negotiation with any HDMI connected devices.

For brevity ...
EKB: ViP622 Software History
L363
HDMI handshake with Vizio TV (at least the 42HD plasma)²
L359
Some HDMI fixes¹
L448
Bug: Interferes with HDMI CEC of other devices (report)2,4
EKB: ViP722 Software History
L443
HDMI/HDCP issues¹

EKB: ViP612 Software History
Bug: HDCP error 890 when connected to Sony and some other TVs²
(HDCP doesn't exist without HDMI)

EKB: ViP722k Software History
L661
Bug: HDMI handshake issue with some Panasonic TVs causes loss of sound²

Now.. that's just a few of what was garnered from a 3rd party watching lists, getting some info here and there from where ever they could... though I belive EKB is probably the best collection of this information.

The problem however, in disproving your "sometimes not dish" is the fact that dish themselves are so closed about their faults that if it were a fart, it would never be heard nor smelt, and one would expect dish to explode from holding all the "little ones" in.

Your reasoning is flawed on this. The point that the the receiver has to properly attempt negotiation with any HDMI devices is correct. You go way off course by then assuming Dish is not doing that. If a TV comes along that is not in compliance with the Dish properly negotiated HDMI output, that is not the fault of Dish. On that same line, if you think Dish, Direct, Comcast, Fios, etc.. are all going to spend their time when a rouge TV comes on the market to get their receiver to work with it, you are wrong. In fact, getting their receiver to work with a TV when it works with virtually all others might make all others not work correctly. Your example of the Disc that would not play is exactly what I am talking about. Avatar decided to use a "rouge" DRM, and somehow that is the fault of all the companies listed in that article? Like that article said, That Samsung may never be compatible with it, just as the Dish receiver may never be compatible with a TV that is somehow programmed different than most all the other ones. The way models come and go so fast because of newer technologies, it would be very foolish to spend time getting a Dish receiver to work via new software for one TV model.

First ... DRM / Avatar ... not rouge ... not at all ... the spec calls for the ability to perform the updates, any player out there that doesn't adhere to that standard will stop working when new DRM comes out. Additionally the Bluray manufacturer that doesn't follow spec would also likely wind up being blocked by HDMI revocation lists to any other device that gets updates. It just depends on how much any one company wants to force the issue to make sure that the spec is upheald, and rights removed from that company for not adhering, and I'm sure the lawyers will fight all that out..

But .. back to the TV at hand issue .. The spec calls for SOURCE manufacturers to do the testing. The source means the source of the HDMI signal. So it would fall on DISH to test ... how far and in depth that testing has to go I didn't read the spec for ... just the overview.

Dish themselves wouldn't be testing, it would be reliant on the manfacturer, which dish isn't and echostar probably doesn't own the manfacturing either ... but they would drive the issue backwards when they get complaints of issues.

The real point of all of it.. is that the true correct way to handle this would be a firmware update.. just as likely from either the TV manufacturer, or Dish's manufacturer ... and that again.. it was only in this case.. that the OP had the option of returning the TV.

The side point (one of the reasons for mentioning Avatar) was not to tarnish *non* brand named items when brand named manufacturers are just as likely to screw up something.

There is an issue with some of the HD DVR's. I have not seen it with the 722, but with 622 and some 222. I would try to get a tech out there to replace the receiver before returning your TV

Component cables will give you virtually the same picture quality, just not as convenient. You also will not be able to order HD PPV movies if you do this.

That statement is incorrect.You can order HD ppv movies just fine using component cables.In fact thats what dish techs always recommend when there is a handshake issue using the hdmi port.My VIP 612 would not allow me to order 1080p via hdmi would only work via component.However the last s/w update cured the hdmi hdcp issue.Now dish is aware of that issue but many of the reps will try and say its your tv.I have a LGLD350 and its compliant with HDCP so it was obviously the 612 that had issues.