Losing sound when switching channels – SD/HD doesn’t matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

saw82

Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Has anyone experienced lose of sound when switching to a new channel. The picture comes up but with no sound. I have the H20-700 and I'm not sure if its with my receiver or TV getting stupid. Sometimes switching back to the previous channel and back to the new channel will correct the sound. I'm using the HDMI cable connected to my Sony Wega.

I did have a Sony HD300 using the HDMI cable connected to the same TV and every now and then when switching channels the picture wouldn't come up. It seemed that was related to switching between SD/HD channels and either the TV or receiver not changing correctly. Powering off either unit fixed it but I always assumed it to be a TV problem.

If you are referring to an AV receiver, many of them need to reacquire what type of audio is being received and then lock on. This could be a probelm with your AV receiver.

Some receivers can be set to a specific source type Auto/PCM/DD/DTS. I think I'll give that a try on mine to see if it speeds things up. I'd guess though that the D* receiver would always pass the same source?

If you only have audio hooked to the TV it probably needs to be set to PCM.

This is a software issue with DirecTv, and specifically the HD DVR's. They were very slow to let anyone know about it as our our office just found about it approx 2 weeks ago but it was documented by engineering around December 7th 2007. The are working on a work-around or solution to it but nothing as of yet. The reported problems have been audio not being in synch with the video, and audio drop-out, like if someone was keying a mic for a second or two, then releasing it, repeatedly. It is NOT, so far as we have been told, a reciever/hardware issue. I'll expand on this if I can find out a little more info on it.

I've seen the audio drop a few times. Not enough to be a major issue but I've seen plenty mentions of that issue here as well. I don't have an issue switching channels unless it's to a on demand menu.

Some receivers can be set to a specific source type Auto/PCM/DD/DTS. I think I'll give that a try on mine to see if it speeds things up. I'd guess though that the D* receiver would always pass the same source?

If you only have audio hooked to the TV it probably needs to be set to PCM.

We get the delay in sound coming on with or without the AV receiver. I just checked and the TV with the sound coming from the HR21 with composite cables is set to PCM and still has the delay. It has to be the receivers that are causing it. I can live with it by hitting the back button coming out of pause or skip.

We get the delay in sound coming on with or without the AV receiver. I just checked and the TV with the sound coming from the HR21 with composite cables is set to PCM and still has the delay. It has to be the receivers that are causing it. I can live with it by hitting the back button coming out of pause or skip.

It is not the receiver itself it is the software that is running on it. There is an issue with the software running on the HR-2x's that DirecTv identified mid December. Their engineering dept is currently trying to address and correct this issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)