Lost 129 because of trees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Muddrum

Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Wright City, Missouri
Hi There,
I live in the middle of three acres all wooded. I have a VIP612 and a 1000.2 ant (the one that looks at 110, 119 and 129 birds). Everything worked great except trees grow and I have lost the signal on 129. The 1000.2 antenna is right on the tree line. I have room to move backward into the woods to get my LOS on 129 but the trees will then block 110 and 119 on the 1000.2 dish. What I plan on doing is leaving the 1000.2 where it is. I have and old 500 dish. I want to buy a Dish 500 I adapter and a Dish Pro single LNBF. I will mount this dish 25 feet directly behind the 1000.2 in the woods where I can get a better angle and regain my LOS on 129. Then I want to use a Dishpro Plus 44 switch to combine the 1000.2 LNB (which will look at 110 and 119) and the Dish 500 Plus with the single Lnbf (which will look at 129) together. I read the LNB on on the 1000.2 is suppose to be a power hog so the power inserter will supply necessary power. So, will this work?

All you need is the 1000.2 sat dish and cover the lnb for the 129 sat with foil. Hook the dish 500 up where you can get line of sight for 129 and run the coax to the 1000.2 IN port on the lnb and run a check switch. You will get all 3 sats and one connected but no sat .

Like this:

119/110/ connected/129

But you don't need a dishpro plus 44 switch or power inserter.

Thanks for the quick reply MikeD-CO5! So simple and cheap. I have ordered the parts from a Satelliteguys sponsor.http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=1162

I have something even simpler, and cheaper you can do... If you have 3 acres FULL of trees, why can't you cut down the one blocking 129? Nobody would probably notice, you'd have some nice firewood, and won't have to do anything else. It lets more sun in, and helps your other trees grow better... Your roof would not get so mossy, less dampness hanging around, so it's all sorts of bonus all the way around..

IF you don't block it, the sat will choose the 129 sat off the 1000.2 sat dish over the side sat dish for 129. The matrix will then show this in a matrix 119/110/129/connected. I have tested this on both western arc and eastern arc setups with a side sat for either 129 or 61.5 and it will always pick the sat off the main dish- 1000.2 or 1000.4- over the side sat , even if the signal is higher on the side sat. Now once the switch check is completed and you have the proper configuration , you can remove the foil on the lnb. But do not rerun the check switch unless you want the sat to once again differ to the main dish again for 129.

Hi MikeD-CO5,

I have 500 dish with I adapter and LNBF hooked to the in port of the 1000.2 lnb. I checked the voltage and I have 18v to the lnbf on the 500 dish. I have a eagle aspen satellite finder connected to the 500 lbnf on the 500 dish. Should I still get a signal on the meter even if I did not do a check disk yet?

When I use a sat. signal finder I will get a reading on the finder (assuming it's pointed to a sat. and the SS is sufficient) anytime it is connected into the system and getting power regardless of whether or not I did a checkswitch first. Example, I disconnect my 129 LNBF and reconnect my 61.5 before the checkswitch. The meter shows the signal, and I also see it in the Point Dish screen on the TV.

Ahh, 129 and trees! I have been fighting that battle now for the second season. In my case I positioned a wing D500 and DP Dual with the "I" adapter at the best location I could find. But my elevation is only 20 deg. from central PA and the dish is looking directly into trees to the SW. The only way I could improve the situation without trimming would be to raise the dish even higher, but that would put it well beyond reach for me to make tweaks, and also move it into the lightning danger zone! So my only option was to cut trees...again! (I'll post some pictures soon.) And I wouldn't do that myself due to height and proximity to power lines, so I've ponied-up $500 so far to have a professional take care of it. He topped-out some trees and cut down a couple of others. At this point I think I'm good for a couple of years. I'll get about 2 cords of wood (total, 2 years) out of the cuttings, so I can be toasty warm again this fall/winter while watching football on my HD locals from the 129 slot...! What we afficiados won't do for our HD viewing...?!?

Well I bypassed my 1000.2 connecting the new wing dish directly to the receiver and it works. Apparently in my case I am not getting enough current to power up the lnbf on the wing dish when I connect it to the 1000.2 lnb in port. I guess I have one of the power hogs. Time to go back to plan A. Thanks for everyone's input.

Hi MikeD-CO5,

I have 500 dish with I adapter and LNBF hooked to the in port of the 1000.2 lnb. I checked the voltage and I have 18v to the lnbf on the 500 dish. I have a eagle aspen satellite finder connected to the 500 lbnf on the 500 dish. Should I still get a signal on the meter even if I did not do a check disk yet?

You should still get a signal off of the lnb using the meter because it is powered by the receiver in your house. Once you peak the dish for 129 , you can lock it in place , run it to the 1000.2 lnb IN port and run your check switch and you will be all set .

Well I bypassed my 1000.2 connecting the new wing dish directly to the receiver and it works. Apparently in my case I am not getting enough current to power up the lnbf on the wing dish when I connect it to the 1000.2 lnb in port. I guess I have one of the power hogs. Time to go back to plan A. Thanks for everyone's input.

Are you using the line from the 1000.2 sat dish to power the meter? IF not that is how you get the meter to be powered to test it. So the line from one of the 1000.2 lnb runs should be run to the Receiver IN port of the meter. The line from a coax you have, should be run from the lnb IN port of the meter to the actual single or dual lnb for the 129 slot. Then peak your dish 500 for 129 , run the coax from the dish 500 to the in port of the 1000.2 lnb and run a check switch and you should be all set.

Hi There,
I live in the middle of three acres all wooded. I have a VIP612 and a 1000.2 ant (the one that looks at 110, 119 and 129 birds). Everything worked great except trees grow and I have lost the signal on 129. The 1000.2 antenna is right on the tree line. I have room to move backward into the woods to get my LOS on 129 but the trees will then block 110 and 119 on the 1000.2 dish. What I plan on doing is leaving the 1000.2 where it is. I have and old 500 dish. I want to buy a Dish 500 I adapter and a Dish Pro single LNBF. I will mount this dish 25 feet directly behind the 1000.2 in the woods where I can get a better angle and regain my LOS on 129. Then I want to use a Dishpro Plus 44 switch to combine the 1000.2 LNB (which will look at 110 and 119) and the Dish 500 Plus with the single Lnbf (which will look at 129) together. I read the LNB on on the 1000.2 is suppose to be a power hog so the power inserter will supply necessary power. So, will this work?

Unless you are planning on adding a 4th orbital slot in the future, you do not need a 44 switch. The 1000.2 has an input that allows the conection of a second antenna such as a 129 wing dish.
Mount the dish and lnb then run a cable to your 1000.2. Connect the new cable to the input on the LNB....If you are looking at the LNB with the ports facing you, the input is the one on the right.
After you've done the connection, run check switch on your receiver(s).
Done.

Hi All. I live in a hilly, wooded neighborhood. I get the standard def channels just fine. Dish came out a couple of months back to set me up with HD but couldn't get a clear LOS to the HD bird. Anyone know if Dish is planning to launch additional HD birds that might be more overhead? My location is Atlanta metro area. I've been with Dish for about nine years and hate to cancel over lack of HD. Cutting down trees is not an option as some are not on my property. Thanks.

As they are now

Hi All. I live in a hilly, wooded neighborhood. I get the standard def channels just fine. Dish came out a couple of months back to set me up with HD but couldn't get a clear LOS to the HD bird. Anyone know if Dish is planning to launch additional HD birds that might be more overhead? My location is Atlanta metro area. I've been with Dish for about nine years and hate to cancel over lack of HD. Cutting down trees is not an option as some are not on my property. Thanks.

They do not have any rights to any more locations than they are using now. It is setup by an international commit as to where they can locate sats. Just by what you say sound like you are on 110/119 birds. That is part of WA. 110/119/129. Maybe you could get EA 61.5/72.7/77 set of sats better. Go to the dishpointer link and use the multi LNB dish for 1000.4 and see if you have a better shot than now.

Atlanta is an Eastern Arc Market. Meaning, the HD locals are in the southeastern sky. These orbital slots are much higher in the sky than those in the Western Arc.
BTW Atlanta HD locals are mirrored to Western Arc as well.
All of this means is you have two options for satellite reception. The tech should have done a little thinking on his feet.
use Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com..
This site allows the user to type in his address, bring up a google map overhead view of their home and with a click determine line of sight.

Thanks, dishcomm. The tech did try multiple options. He even called for another tech to assist with the 40ft ladder to check rooftop options (dish is currently on a pole in backyard). They spent a good bit of time trying different birds and different dish locations with no luck. Thanks for the dishpointer link. From what I can tell there, I can see why the techs had so much trouble. Oh, well.

Just how big are these trees? They can get 119/110 from the ground but couldn't hit the EA from a 40ft roof???

Just how big are these trees? They can get 119/110 from the ground but couldn't hit the EA from a 40ft roof???

Well, the Tech was pretty surprised that I could get the 119/110 signal. The roof isn't 40ft, he just needed that ladder. It's probably less than 30ft. However, there is a significant drop from the street level down the driveway to the house - probably 8 to 10 ft. There are trees at the top at street level that are pretty tall. So, the dish has to point in an uphill direction with tall trees at the top of the hill. Heavily wooded and hilly location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts