Lost 61.5

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
As of yesterday I've completely lost the signal from 61.5. While I wait for a repairman, I wanted to get some suggestions from here as to what might fix the problem (I'm not afraid of going up on the roof).

I have a three dish setup (119/110/61.5) with three tuners (one unused model 6000, and a 622 DVR) the switch is a SW64 with non-dish pro LNBs.

I've done switch tests on both receivers and none can get any signal from 61.5. 119 & 110 are both fine. It really acts very much like the cable for 61.5 is cut.

I'm thinking of going on the roof and switch the lines from my 61.5 dish to an an used port on the SW64, if that doesn't work, what else can I do?

The repairman can probably handle replacing the coax cables and cleaning the connections, but I might need to guide him beyond that.

Swapping the cables is a good trouble shooting technique, & if 61.5 doesn't come in, maybe a bad port on the SW64 (not familiar w/ that I have a DP34), or the dish for 61.5 has moved off direction.

As of yesterday I've completely lost the signal from 61.5. While I wait for a repairman, I wanted to get some suggestions from here as to what might fix the problem (I'm not afraid of going up on the roof).

I have a three dish setup (119/110/61.5) with three tuners (one unused model 6000, and a 622 DVR) the switch is a SW64 with non-dish pro LNBs.

I've done switch tests on both receivers and none can get any signal from 61.5. 119 & 110 are both fine. It really acts very much like the cable for 61.5 is cut.

I'm thinking of going on the roof and switch the lines from my 61.5 dish to an an used port on the SW64, if that doesn't work, what else can I do?

The repairman can probably handle replacing the coax cables and cleaning the connections, but I might need to guide him beyond that.

You're running a 622 with non dish pro (legacy) LNB's?? That needs to be upgraded to a Dish pro plus for 110/119 and a dish pro for 61.5. Yes, it will work the way you have it, but it's old stuff. SW64's are ancient. If you have a multi meter check to see if you have power going to your 61.5. Take the connector at the lnb and place one lead on the copper stinger and the other on the metal of the connector. You should be getting somewhere around 13.5 to 19 dc volts. (give or take)

Either your switch is bad, cable is bad (look for splits/cuts/kinks or the 61.5 lnb is bad, or 61.5 is out of alignment.

As far as guiding the repairman......... if you have to guide him you need a different repairman.

You're running a 622 with non dish pro (legacy) LNB's?? That needs to be upgraded to a Dish pro plus for 110/119 and a dish pro for 61.5. Yes, it will work the way you have it, but it's old stuff. SW64's are ancient. If you have a multi meter check to see if you have power going to your 61.5. Take the connector at the lnb and place one lead on the copper stinger and the other on the metal of the connector. You should be getting somewhere around 13.5 to 19 dc volts. (give or take)

Either your switch is bad, cable is bad (look for splits/cuts/kinks or the 61.5 lnb is bad, or 61.5 is out of alignment.

As far as guiding the repairman......... if you have to guide him you need a different repairman.

Actually, Legacy LNBs and switches are much more reliable than Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus. They are just a bigger pain to install. If I had the time and patience to run two lines from every LNB to the switch, and two lines (or even 3) to each dual tuner in my house, I would use a legacy system as well.

As far as guiding the repairman, good luck if you want to keep the legacy system. If he is in-house, he will have no legacy equipment with him, and want to upgrade you to the above mentioned setup (or at least 3 DP single/Duals and a DP 34 switch). You will also be lucky if he even attempts to troubleshoot the system before just doing the upgrade, because the majority of technicians have not been around long enough to understand legacy equipment. I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Sorry to double post so quickly, but I missed something in your original post. What unused port is there on the SW64? it only has 6 inputs and each orbital location on a legacy switch takes 2 ports (one for even transponders, one for odd) so 119, 110 and 61.5 should have all the satellite input ports full. Could you please specify the setup you have (LNB types, which orbital locations are hooked up to which inputs on the SW64, and which receiver out ports are running to your receivers & Power inserter?) this will help us help you a lot more.

Thanks for your quick repsonses. I was all set yesterday to do some work when it started raining. Before it really came down, I saw that 61.5 had come back, but once the equipment got wet, I lost it again.

It seems that at least something is getting shorted out because of water. I just hope its not the tip of the iceberg.

I just got a call from the technician so I'll see what he comes up with.

unfortunately the installer probably won't carry any legacy equipment, but he can just replace it with a DPP Twin and DP single for the 61.5.
No external switches, and a lot less wiring

So the the verdict from the technician is tree branches blocking the signal when they are weighed down by water.

I've removed the branches so we'll see if that helps matters.

unfortunately the installer probably won't carry any legacy equipment, but he can just replace it with a DPP Twin and DP single for the 61.5.
No external switches, and a lot less wiring

why wouldn't the tech be carrying legacy? all of our techs do. no receivers, but lnb's and sw21's.

why wouldn't the tech be carrying legacy? all of our techs do. no receivers, but lnb's and sw21's.
Because it's just one more thing to carry that probably won't be used until it has gone bad from bouncing around in the back of the van for months on end. If I see from a work order that there may be legacy equipment on a work order, I might see if my warehouse even has what I may need. But that isn't always a guarantee.
Another reason many do not carry it, is that they lack the experience with legacy equipment to reliably troubleshoot it. We see so little of it nowadays, that it could be 6 months in the field before a tech will even see any legacy equipment. It's possible that in your area you see more legacy equipment. It does vary widely, especially if your area never required the Superdish for locals. Since our area did require a Superdish, almost every system has been upgraded to DishPro.

So the the verdict from the technician is tree branches blocking the signal when they are weighed down by water.

I've removed the branches so we'll see if that helps matters.

So??????? branches clear it up. I know branches can sag a bit from water, but c'mon?? Either they are in the way or not. Snow or ice I can see. Also I can see wind blowing the branches in the way, but my feeling is if they are weighed down by water, than those branches are in the way period, or it's something else. If it rains and your system goes out and then later when it dries out is starts coming back you probably have a corroded connector or cut line and it will only get worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)