Lost Channels/Satellite 119 on locked on wrong one.

OdieSatillite

Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Okay- I recently moved and did not want to pay to have our Dish moved. I figured it wont be to complicated. So- my husband went and disconnected the Dish system from our old place and brought it to our new place. He connected it at first wrong and so we couldn't get a signal. Then - our friend performed a Switch Test and a error box came up when the test was complete. It stated that if you saved the changes you would result in losing the channels. So our friend saved the changes. We then figure that if we change the input to 1, we could get a signal. However- our other TV would not work like this. I finally looked, and figure out that we had this connected wrong. So- I connected it correctly. We now have Dish on both televisions, however we are missing a lot of channels. On the 110 satellite, we have a very strong signal. However, when we change the satellite to 119, we get a red box and at the bottom it reads Lock-wrong satellite Echo Star 110. So- I'm assuming it's locked on the wrong satellite. When we perform a check switch test now, in the box we get the 110 satellie, but it doesn't say anything about the 119.

I am not sure if when we saved the changes on the check switch test it did something that we have to fix. Is the satellite just allign wrong?? If any knows what to do I would greatly appreciate it! I am getting VERY frusterated :mad: and am running out of options. Thanks!!!

Yes the alignment is off. You are getting the 110 on the 119 slot on the lnb. This most likely means the dish is turned too far east. You can move it back slightly to the west and you should be able to pick up the 119 bird. Right now you are not receiving 119 at all and thats why you are losing channels.

After to get it aligned then run a check switch again. FYI, if standing behind the dish the 119 should be on the left side of the lnb and the 110 on the right side.

Using the receiver's meter change the satellite to 119 then the transponder to 11; then try moving the dish slightly west using VERY SMALL increments. Do not loosen the dish too much when you attempt. (I am assuming that you have a Dish 500? with a dual receiver).

I sort of have the same problem. I can pick up 110 an 119 but I cannot pick up 129 at all.

I have a 1000.2 I believe connected to a 622.

The elev. and skew are set to what was on dishpointer.com for the 1000.2.

The signal for 110 is around 75 and the signal for 119 is around 50. There is no signal for 129.

My zip is 32409.

I thought I had some blockage with a few trees so I removed them today and only the signal for 110 improved.

Okay- I recently moved and did not want to pay to have our Dish moved. I figured it wont be to complicated. So- my husband went and disconnected the Dish system from our old place and brought it to our new place. He connected it at first wrong and so we couldn't get a signal. Then - our friend performed a Switch Test and a error box came up when the test was complete. It stated that if you saved the changes you would result in losing the channels. So our friend saved the changes. We then figure that if we change the input to 1, we could get a signal. However- our other TV would not work like this. I finally looked, and figure out that we had this connected wrong. So- I connected it correctly. We now have Dish on both televisions, however we are missing a lot of channels. On the 110 satellite, we have a very strong signal. However, when we change the satellite to 119, we get a red box and at the bottom it reads Lock-wrong satellite Echo Star 110. So- I'm assuming it's locked on the wrong satellite. When we perform a check switch test now, in the box we get the 110 satellie, but it doesn't say anything about the 119.

I am not sure if when we saved the changes on the check switch test it did something that we have to fix. Is the satellite just allign wrong?? If any knows what to do I would greatly appreciate it! I am getting VERY frusterated :mad: and am running out of options. Thanks!!!

Other's have pretty much answered your question, we can help with more specifics if you post your new zip code as well. This will let us know if you need to move the elevation up or down in addition to pointing it further West.

I sort of have the same problem. I can pick up 110 an 119 but I cannot pick up 129 at all.

I have a 1000.2 I believe connected to a 622.

The elev. and skew are set to what was on dishpointer.com for the 1000.2.

The signal for 110 is around 75 and the signal for 119 is around 50. There is no signal for 129.

My zip is 32409.

I thought I had some blockage with a few trees so I removed them today and only the signal for 110 improved.

Someone here may know more about that part of Florida, but I believe that most of Florida is either on the fringe of 129, or completely out of the footprint. I'm pretty sure I remember most of Florida not being eligible for a 1000.2. Also keep in mind that the 129 will be very low on the horizon for you (about 31.5 degrees elevation @ 244 Magnetic Azimuth, Note: this is the actual location of the 129 satellite, not the recommended settings for the 1000.2)

When I moved the dish would still keep the same settings as where I moved from is only 10 miles from where I moved to.

At that house we received all the HD channels. Now I can't remember which satellite they came from, but I know that with 110 and 119, I am only getting a handful at the moment.

Out of the three satellites, what would their order be in the sky as well as the lnbs?

IIRC, I am picking up 110 on the right lnb and 119 in the middle. This of course is if you are looking facing the lnbs from the rear of the dish.

When I moved the dish would still keep the same settings as where I moved from is only 10 miles from where I moved to.

At that house we received all the HD channels. Now I can't remember which satellite they came from, but I know that with 110 and 119, I am only getting a handful at the moment.

Out of the three satellites, what would their order be in the sky as well as the lnbs?

IIRC, I am picking up 110 on the right lnb and 119 in the middle. This of course is if you are looking facing the lnbs from the rear of the dish.
(1) You will have the same settings only if the pole was vertical in both cases and the house is oriented exactly the same.
(2) IIRC, 119 has no HD. 110 has mostly the MPEG-2 HD (HBO SHO HDNets ESPN). Will change to MPEG-4 Wednesday?
(3) Order in the sky is just like their longitude: East 110 119 129 West. Those are not the angles you see.
(4) Order on the dish is a reflection of the sky, thus 129 is easternmost of the LNBs.

If in doubt cover 2 of 3 LNBs with Al foil and then read the meter. The center 119 will be the strongest. Tune your pointing with menu-6-1-1 using TP 11. (TP 16 for 61.5 which will work better in Florida and works great here.) After working, consult your menu-6-1-3 System Info, then Details and page down for the strengths of 2 to 4 standard transponders per LNB--mine shows Orbitals 14 15 16 21.
Trick: select channel and then do menu-6-1-1 to see orbital and TP of that one.

Cover two outer lnbs and max out 119, think I have me a project to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

The old house the dish was mounted on the house with a clear view of the sky; this house, the dish replaces a 500 that was on a pole, with some trees that are possibly blocking.

If I can't seem to max out 119, I'll pretend I'm a lumberjack and take out a few more pines.

Maxing central 119 is a good first step. You should fine tune from there because your 110 and 129 will be a little weaker than the best possible. Change only the elevation slightly, say 1-2 deg, to get 110 about equal to 119. Play with the skew only if 129 is still noticeably weaker, say low 20s with the others in the 50s. A difference may indicate a non-vertical pole. Your goal is to get the best overall signal on all LNBs at the same time. Good luck after repeating.
-Ken

With a few trees removed nothing much has changed.

119 the best signal I can get is 60.
110 the best signal I can get is 80 and that is when 119 is at 60.

Moving the dish at all does nothing to improve 119. Changing skew, elev. or azimuth only hurts the signal.

129 is still not even registering.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts