Lost functionality going from ViP to Hopper receiver

Before I modified my internal fan to run continuously I never heard it run. I always figured too many people complained about the noise so they shut them down. The internal fan is more than capable of keeping the unit cool, so I can't say there is a design flaw, especially on a 10 year old design.
I have 1 that has been trouble free for over 7 years, the second I had to replace the capacitors.

I know back in 2012, when we purchased a new tv stand ( Better Home and Gardens from Walmart) with wood doors with glass insets , my older hopper 1 starting rebooting like crazy. I had opened the back of the tv stand right behind the sat receiver so it could get some air ,but it made no difference. As soon as I removed the doors , the unit stopped rebooting. So Now I keep my satellite receivers all on open shelf units that can get plenty air to it. No more reboots. My wife isn't crazy about it ,because she has to dust the shelves more ,but she doesn't like it when the hopper reboots during her shows either.

Many years ago when we had Time Warner, we routinely replaced our DVR every 6-12 months. You could cook food on top of it and apparently that was normal.

I actually have a BD player on top of our Hopper w/Sling. Neither feels abnormally warm. It is on an open, glass shelf though.

Reactions: Tampa8
You got lucky.
My longest lasting VIP was a 211, 3 years.
My longest lasting 722k, was 18 months.
My longest lasting 622 was 25 months.
My longest lasting 612 was 9 months, and 3 replacements of these in 12 months.

Directvs POC HR receivers out lasted those VIP DVR by 4 more years.
IMO the Hopper is far more reliable.
I got my ViP211 in August 2006, and it still works. 10 years, one month and counting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)