Lost may HD channels DISH wants me to upgrade?????

hmjs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
United States
I have lost many of my HD stations such as HGTV, FOOD, COMMEDY CENTRAL but still have HD on locals, USA 105, STYLE 115. DISH says I need to upgrade all my equipment, (I have 5 receivers, 1-722K, 2-322's, 2-625's), to all HD receivers and change the satellites I'm getting my signal from. I am currently on 119-110-61.5 the 61.5 on a seperate dish and located in south western North Carolina. Rep said I need to be using some other sateillites I'm not familiar with but are for eastern US useage. Also, I have distant networks will this satellite change cause me to loose that reception? Can someone confirm this strategy, doesn't sound quite right to me.

Howard

DISH Network has been sending out notifications to those with split arc setups (110W, 119W, 61.5W) for several months. This should not have come as a surprise.

The 322s and 625s will need to be replaced (or kept with the old Dish 500).

You need to call DISH and see what they are offering. Chances are pretty good that your 322s will be replaced by ViP222s and the 625s will be replaced by ViP622s on DISH's dime.

DO NOT continue to ignore the messages as DISH has moved a whole lot of HD content from 61.5W and it isn't coming back anytime soon.

Your question on the distants.....I assume you mean distants provided by AAD. Since you didn't give us the information most needed - what your zip code is, I am going to guess your locals are on 61.5. What dish wants to do is change the two satellites of 119/110 to 72/77 and add them to the 61.5. That is fine, but what you will need to do is make sure they keep the current dish pointed to 119, and add that to the other satellites. Then you will continue to get the distants from AAD.
As others mentioned a couple of your receivers are not compatible with the new satellites and will need to be exchanged for newer models. Should come as no cost I believe to you. Just so you know, at some point everyone is going to have to get newer receivers when all the satellites are replaced with the new technology.

I have lost many of my HD stations such as HGTV, FOOD, COMMEDY CENTRAL but still have HD on locals, USA 105, STYLE 115. DISH says I need to upgrade all my equipment, (I have 5 receivers, 1-722K, 2-322's, 2-625's), to all HD receivers and change the satellites I'm getting my signal from. I am currently on 119-110-61.5 the 61.5 on a seperate dish and located in south western North Carolina. Rep said I need to be using some other sateillites I'm not familiar with but are for eastern US useage. Also, I have distant networks will this satellite change cause me to loose that reception? Can someone confirm this strategy, doesn't sound quite right to me.

what locals do you get? Not the distants but if you get locals what market are they in?
Reason I ask is a couple markets (Charlotte and Raleigh) are on both Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) and Western Arc (110/119/129). Western arc would allow you to keep the existing equipment and just upgrade the dish.
If you are not in one of those 2 markets then you would have to upgrade to Eastern Arc which would require all new equipment except for the 722.

OK, first I'd like to thank you all for the replies. To answer your questions my zip is 28734 and our distant locals for our RV come through ADD I think, it's American something, I know it's not through DISH NETWORK. Since we have the distant locals now and are able to enjoy them both at home and in the RV I would like to keep them working the same way, will this be possible using the new satellites and equipment? The distant locals must come in on either 119 or 110 because we only were hooked up to the 61.5 about 9 months ago when we got the HD. Will the new receivers work on the other satellites such as 110/119 as well?

Thanks again,

Howard

all receivers work on 110/119
Your locals are from Geenville SC which are on 119 in SD but 61.5 on HD

I wonder if this change requires you to get locals. I know programming change does but this is a required Dish upgrade

Thats what I'm thinking too

The OP could just reaim the 61.5 dish to 129 and be done with it. The 722 will get HD channels. The SD receivers will continue to get 110/119 and he can continue with his AAD distants

Ice, that is exactly what I was thinking.

hmjs, --Swinging the "wing" dish to 129° is simple enough to do that I was able to do it (Mr. thumbs) in about an hour. The reason it took me so long is the mounting pole was out of plumb and I had to account for that. There is a "HOW TO" post here on Satelliteguys from last year. I'll see if I can find it.

---Though there may be a "look angle" issue if you live right next to the east side of a tall slope there in Western NC.

I think the installer may have put me on 61.5 because of a hill on the east side of my property. I'm just going to let DISH do its' thing as long as I can still use my RV receiver on my old Dish 500 that I use at my brothers property in Florida. Thanks again for the info.

Howard

Depends on how long ago you got your set-up, but it used to be this mixed arc was common in the Asheville TV market because there used to be "minor" locals at 61.5°. It may have been inertia that had the installer point the dish at 61.5°.

Anyway, the hill on the east side would not be a problem. It would be a hill or trees on the WEST/Southwest side (247°) that would be an issue.

Something 50 feet away and 25 feet taller than where the dish is installed (Or something 25 feet away 12½ feet higher than the dish)
will block Line of Sight for 129° in that area.
Good luck!

Maybe not, relative to the west, but you've obviously never been to western NC. :rolleyes:

threetoptenta.jpgsnowyroana.jpg

UPDATE: If anyone is still following this thread Dish installer came today and did their thing. They put me on 77, 72 and 61.5 for my 722's and 119/110 for my 322's. Now I cannot access the distant locals from All American Direct on the 722's because they don't receive signal from 119 which is all ADD comes in on. Although I can still receive ADD in my RV with my non HD dual receiver DVR (forgot model number) I'm going to miss getting the NY and San Fran locals at home too. Is there any way to get the 722's to receive from the 119 for the ADD as well as 77, 72 and 61.5?

Howard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)