Lost my signal to basement tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wfshaw

Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Hi All.

I am a new subscriber and have a problem. I had a regular old tv in my bedroom and replaced it with a HD TV. Prior to this I had a regular DIRCTV receiver and split it an ran a wire to an older tv in the basement to reveive satilite channels and it worked fine. Now with the new HD TV receiver installed I have lost the signal to the basement tv??? Can anyone help?? I also had a local channel antenna installed and I was wondering if I tapped into the antenna wire and ran it to the basement tv would it work. Theroy tells me no because it is a HD TV ANtenna.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill in PA

Hi All.

I am a new subscriber and have a problem. I had a regular old tv in my bedroom and replaced it with a HD TV. Prior to this I had a regular DIRCTV receiver and split it an ran a wire to an older tv in the basement to reveive satilite channels and it worked fine. Now with the new HD TV receiver installed I have lost the signal to the basement tv??? Can anyone help?? I also had a local channel antenna installed and I was wondering if I tapped into the antenna wire and ran it to the basement tv would it work. Theroy tells me no because it is a HD TV ANtenna.

Thank you,

Bill in PA

was the old tv in the basement mirrored off the tv in your bedroom? in other words were you forced to watch the same thing downstairs as you did upstairs?

if so then its because your new hd reciever does not have a coax output on it and is unable to feed your basement tv in the configuration you have it at.

Hi All.

Thank you,

Bill in PA
Well Bill there is no such thing as a HDTV antenna so split the line and run it to the basement. Is the line from the bedroom to the basement still connected to the receiver or did they disconnect it when the new HD receiver was installed?:) :) :)

Lost my signal

Well Bill there is no such thing as a HDTV antenna so split the line and run it to the basement. Is the line from the bedroom to the basement still connected to the receiver or did they disconnect it when the new HD receiver was installed?:) :) :)

Yes there is a HDTV antenna. They had to install it on my roof because DIRECTV does not broadcast the locals in my area as of yet. The HDTV antenna brings in the locols over the air. I did split the line and yes the line in the bedroom to the basement is connected to the receiver and the new HD receiver? That is why I find this so puzzeling. In theory it should work. The only thing I can think of that is different is the old receover (non HDTV) the TV had to be set to channel 3 for DIRECTV and the new one doesn't matter what channel it is on?? I am so confused?????

lost my signal

was the old tv in the basement mirrored off the tv in your bedroom? in other words were you forced to watch the same thing downstairs as you did upstairs?

if so then its because your new hd reciever does not have a coax output on it and is unable to feed your basement tv in the configuration you have it at.

Yes the old tv in the basement was mirrored off the tv in the bedroom forcing me to watch the same thing downstairs as up.

The new HD receiver does have a coax and I used the same splitter that was there in the first place. The technician did not remove the line to the basement. He left it but I didn't even think of asking him if the tv downstairs would work. I assummed it would. In theory it should but it must have something to do with HDTV????? I'm very confused. I checked the lines, the connections, and still no picture.

Yes the old tv in the basement was mirrored off the tv in the bedroom forcing me to watch the same thing downstairs as up.

The new HD receiver does have a coax and I used the same splitter that was there in the first place. The technician did not remove the line to the basement. He left it but I didn't even think of asking him if the tv downstairs would work. I assummed it would. In theory it should but it must have something to do with HDTV????? I'm very confused. I checked the lines, the connections, and still no picture.

there is no coax output on an h20, only sat in, off air in, and rf.

your coax thats going downstairs is most likely connected to either the off air in or rf antenna connection thus the reason the tv downstairs isnt working.

go look again real hard at whats printed next to all the ouputs. your not going to find a coax out.

No signal

there is no coax output on an h20, only sat in, off air in, and rf.

your coax thats going downstairs is most likely connected to either the off air in or rf antenna connection thus the reason the tv downstairs isnt working.

go look again real hard at whats printed next to all the ouputs. your not going to find a coax out.

So basically you are saying it cannot be done?? Is my only option to buy another receiver for the basement tv (or) Would the signal get to the TV if I split into the HDTV antenna which was installed for the locals being they are not available in my area yet.?? I'm thinkg not because the tv in the basement is old and the antenna is for HDTV locals. I would be happy if I could get the locals.

Yes there is a HDTV antenna. They had to install it on my roof because DIRECTV does not broadcast the locals in my area as of yet. The HDTV antenna brings in the locols over the air. I did split the line and yes the line in the bedroom to the basement is connected to the receiver and the new HD receiver? That is why I find this so puzzeling. In theory it should work. The only thing I can think of that is different is the old receover (non HDTV) the TV had to be set to channel 3 for DIRECTV and the new one doesn't matter what channel it is on?? I am so confused?????

NO, there is no such thing as an HD antenna, HD signal is a part of the DIGITAL signal that the network sends out digital with the analog signal.

ANY UHF (most are uhf, some are still vhf) will work for you, I originally used my dads that he's had since I was a kid.

It worked great , till I decided I wanted something more perminant.

They advertise HDTV antennas so you will think you need to buy the new antennas.

Jimbo

Last edited:
So basically you are saying it cannot be done?? Is my only option to buy another receiver for the basement tv (or) Would the signal get to the TV if I split into the HDTV antenna which was installed for the locals being they are not available in my area yet.?? I'm thinkg not because the tv in the basement is old and the antenna is for HDTV locals. I would be happy if I could get the locals.

you could try connecting a set of composite cables from the reciever to an rf modulator and then connecting the coax thats running downstairs to the modulator. dont see why it wouldnt work. might get some picture degradation at worst because of the modulator.

supposedly your not supposed to run composite.s video more then 10 ft or so but some companies are advertising thier cables are good for 50+ foot runs. i dont know what type of inputs your basement tv has but its also another option if you want to run the cables down there.

lost my signal

NO, there is no such thing as an HD antenna, HD signal is a part of the DIGITAL signal that the netwiork sends out anong with the analog signal.

ANY UHF (most are uhf, some are still vhf) will work for you, I originally used my dads that he's had since I was a kid.

It worked great , till I decided I wanted something more perminant.

They advertise HDTV antennas so you will think you need to buy the new antennas.

Jimbo

Seems I remember reading that any antenna will work. Well anyway they through it in for free since I was upgrading to HDTV so now you've got me thinking?? I could probably split into the new antenna coax they put on my roof and get the local signals on my basement tv?? Sounds logical to me. Do you agree??

lost signal

you could try connecting a set of composite cables from the reciever to an rf modulator and then connecting the coax thats running downstairs to the modulator. dont see why it wouldnt work. might get some picture degradation at worst because of the modulator.

supposedly your not supposed to run composite.s video more then 10 ft or so but some companies are advertising thier cables are good for 50+ foot runs. i dont know what type of inputs your basement tv has but its also another option if you want to run the cables down there.

That sounds too complicated for me !! I'm a novice. Post from JIMBOS tells me there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna and now that I think about it I do recall reading where any antenna will work for locals. Well anyway they installed one on my roof to bring in the locals so therefore I am thinking that if I split the coax and run it to the tv in the basement I should be able to pull in the locals. Do you agree??

Yes, you could split the antenna signal for the basement TV, but you won't get HD down there. You'd have to tune the analog stations.

lost signal

Yes, you could split the antenna signal for the basement TV, but you won't get HD down there. You'd have to tune the analog stations.

Do not care about HD for basement. It is an old (non HD) tv and would only be interested in the locals. It will not have any impact on my HD picture in the bedroom HDTV by splitting the signal. would it?

Do not care about HD for basement. It is an old (non HD) tv and would only be interested in the locals. It will not have any impact on my HD picture in the bedroom HDTV by splitting the signal. would it?

It could, depending on the signal strength you are getting now. Try it and see!

That sounds too complicated for me !! I'm a novice. Post from JIMBOS tells me there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna and now that I think about it I do recall reading where any antenna will work for locals. Well anyway they installed one on my roof to bring in the locals so therefore I am thinking that if I split the coax and run it to the tv in the basement I should be able to pull in the locals. Do you agree??
Go back and read post #3.:)

Seems I remember reading that any antenna will work. Well anyway they through it in for free since I was upgrading to HDTV so now you've got me thinking?? I could probably split into the new antenna coax they put on my roof and get the local signals on my basement tv?? Sounds logical to me. Do you agree??

Yes
You can do that, I would make the connections inside (if possible) to stay out of the weather, less chance of problems in the future.
Any antenna WILL work as long as it is UHF (a small portion of the networks are still sending the HD on VHF, but thats like 5-10 % at most.)
You can check you perticular channels at antenna web 's site, it will verify if they are U or V ...

Jimbo

You can use a rf modulator in this scenario. I use a set of av(red,white,yellow) cables hooked to the modulator and use the (to tv) coax to mirror the signal off of the h20 in my living room to my bedroom. btw it is a radio shack modulator.

lost signal

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped me with this problem. Split the antenna into the uhf and finally got it to work. Thanks again to all who provided me with their input.
:hatsoff::)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)