Lost My VOOM Channels

amoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
OK, I'm minding my own business on a very light snowy day today. I change the channel and I lose my signal. Now it's not a heavy snow by any means but I assume it's that. The signal won't return so I unplug and reboot and whala! the signal comes back. Everything seems normal but I don't have the some HD or any VOOM channels, on the guide or by changing to that channel. HBOHD, Showtime HD, are fine but no StarzHD, Food HD I have and 3422 &23 the HDNET's but no 9427 Universal HD. After an hour with CS, no answer and they are sending me a new receiver. The most frustrating part was the CS did not know what VOOM was. Kind of hard to believe but I asked twice just to make sure. Anybody have this problem, with their 622?

"Is there snow built up on your dish?"

Not really, the snowfall is really an insignificant amount, almost a dusting really . If that's what's causing it, it's going to be a bitch of a winter when it really snows.

Snow this morning (and last night overnight) came directly in on my 61.5 dish and wiped it out until about 10am when the wet weight of the snow cleared it off. The snow was light, but it did cover the dish and it does not need much... just enough to bend the reflection so effectively you are no longer looking at 61.5.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go out and look at it tomorrow during the day. The guide updated and the channels are showing up there now, yet no signal. The most amazing thing was the CS rep didn't know what Voom was. I actually asked her again and she had no clue.

OK, I'm minding my own business on a very light snowy day today. I change the channel and I lose my signal. Now it's not a heavy snow by any means but I assume it's that. The signal won't return so I unplug and reboot and whala! the signal comes back. Everything seems normal but I don't have the some HD or any VOOM channels, on the guide or by changing to that channel. HBOHD, Showtime HD, are fine but no StarzHD, Food HD I have and 3422 &23 the HDNET's but no 9427 Universal HD. After an hour with CS, no answer and they are sending me a new receiver. The most frustrating part was the CS did not know what VOOM was. Kind of hard to believe but I asked twice just to make sure. Anybody have this problem, with their 622?
check the dish for snow on the disgh itself or the "cup" over the feedhorn on the lnb. Run a check switch. In fact disconnect the cable from the receiver at the satellite in port, Run the check swith. This clears the matrix. Then reconnect the cable and re run check switch..This should solve your probelm if the system, lnb(s) or switch have not failed. Keep us posted on your progress

check the dish for snow on the disgh itself or the "cup" over the feedhorn on the lnb. Run a check switch. In fact disconnect the cable from the receiver at the satellite in port, Run the check swith. This clears the matrix. Then reconnect the cable and re run check switch..This should solve your probelm if the system, lnb(s) or switch have not failed. Keep us posted on your progress

What does clearing the matrix do? Will you loose all settings, recordings, etc?

Why it's a Thanksgiving miracle! Everything is back to normal and I didn't have to reset anything. I can see losing the signal because of the snow but I don't know I would lose the channels from the guide. So I call first thing to see if I can get the new receiver stopped and they say it was already sent out. Now that's service. Thanks everyone. Word to the newbies, when in doubt check here first.

What does clearing the matrix do? Will you loose all settings, recordings, etc?
No. All this does is tell the receiver it isn't connected to a satellite. Kind of gives it a freash start.
I have been working with Dish EQ for nearly 8 years. I don't know everything. I learn new stuff all the time. Makes me a better tech. But as a tech, it is my business to know these things. No harm will come to your equipment. Go for it.

No. All this does is tell the receiver it isn't connected to a satellite. Kind of gives it a freash start.
I have been working with Dish EQ for nearly 8 years. I don't know everything. I learn new stuff all the time. Makes me a better tech. But as a tech, it is my business to know these things. No harm will come to your equipment. Go for it.

OK, thanks

No Zoom or Other Some HD Channels in Program Guide

I think there is something more than just the snow that is causing the Voom channels to disappear from the guide. I just noticed that the Voom channels and some other HD channels were not showing up in the program guide on my 622 receiver as well. And the weather is fine.

I did a switch check and everything was good. I checked the signal strength and all satellites were good. Then I decided to just look into all of the setup options to see if maybe there was something new to show or to not show the HD channels. When I selected "Purchase History" the system locked up and then re-booted itself. When it came back up all the HD channels were back.

So I am glad I checked here first before trying to explain what the Voom channels are to a CS rep. :D