Lost Signal 61.5W, Signal Bar Green....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

viewsonic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Hi Readers:

I lost my dish 500 signal to 61.5W. I peaked the "signal/direction" using analog satellite finder several times, but still cannot lock the satellite.

The receiver keeps on saying “acquiring satellite signal” (satellite default). When I go in menu to ……system setup/installation…….point dish…the signal strength bar comes green for 1-1/2 sec…but cannot lock the signal. Does the “Location ID” supposed to change? Because I moved the dish (it is setup-up on bucked/pole mount)

Any comments/suggestions to lock on the signal?

Thanks

viewsonic said:
Hi Readers:

I lost my dish 500 signal to 61.5W. I peaked the "signal/direction" using analog satellite finder several times, but still cannot lock the satellite.

The receiver keeps on saying “acquiring satellite signal” (satellite default). When I go in menu to ……system setup/installation…….point dish…the signal strength bar comes green for 1-1/2 sec…but cannot lock the signal. Does the “Location ID” supposed to change? Because I moved the dish (it is setup-up on bucked/pole mount)

Any comments/suggestions to lock on the signal?

Thanks

You're sure it's 61.5 that you're trying to acquire? Normally, a DISH500 is used for 110/119 but can, of course, be used for 61.5 and 148.

chaddux said:
... 61.5 and 148 ...
Of course, you meant to say "61.5 OR 148". ;)

Anyway, using a D500 to catch a wing bird can be futzy.

viewsonic hasn't said, so I'll assume he's using a DP Twin, and NOT trying to combine it with a switch and another D500. IOW, he wants SkyAngel, not Dish.

My first guess is that he's 9 degrees off, and getting 61.5 on the 110 LNBF.

Cover the 110 side with tinfoil and re-aim. Let us know what happens.

Thanks Folks!

I mean 61.5w for dish network (Echostar 3 at 61.5). I was getting 109-112 signal strength before losing it. I have dual LNBs, 119w and 110w. I am using only 1 LNB and have no switch or other D500 or dish attached.

I think I am going to go to kitchen and use the aluminum foil to cover the other LNBF (or do you really need tin foil).

Thanks!

If you truly have a PAIR OF DUALS, and the other one is NOT attached in any way, then you effectively have a funny-shaped Dish300, and my comment does not apply.

Hi SimpleSimon:

This is what I have (I am no expert), but will try to give you all the correct info.

I have one Dish 500 with one arm supporting 2 LNBs (says Dish network Digital. I think a dual, twin will have 2 arms?). One side is 119W and the other says 100w (outside the grey plastic). No other dish or switch of any kind. Subscribed for international programming only.

I watched 148w in the beginning, and then I moved it on pole/bucket mount to catch 61.5W. I lost signal more than a few times (bucket movement due to snow/water freezing on the concrete slab or wind)

Funny, I loose signal every 4-5 weeks.

The last time it was at 75 signal strength but no picture. Transponder was 28. So I started playing around and got down to transponder 6, and got 110 signal and everything worked.

Then it lost signal few days after. Got a message about updating software without satellite locked. I don't know how that could happen. I turned the power off. The signal came back and worked for few days. Now no signal.

Now I just cannot lock. I have an analog satellite finder, that is peaking in 61.5 direction.

I know the pole may not be 100% plumb, because I used to lock at higher elevation, but works for me.

May be I need to start dish aiming 101 again.

When you aim for 61.5, your meter will spike three times when moving from left to right. You want the third spike. The other two are other sats.

Ah, the terminology. Go to http://www.switchinfo.info/lnbs.html and lok at the pictures.

However, assuming you have ONE Legacy (no DP logo) Single or Dual LNBF, do what bcshields is saying. Note that for a single bird rig, plumbness is not important. Once you've got that mental picture of where things are and how to find them, the numeric scales don't matter.

Don't forget to double-check your cable fittings for corrosion. The symptoms you describe can be caused by that, too.

SimpleSimon said:
Ah, the terminology. Go to http://www.switchinfo.info/lnbs.html and lok at the pictures.

However, assuming you have ONE Legacy (no DP logo) Single or Dual LNBF, do what bcshields is saying. Note that for a single bird rig, plumbness is not important. Once you've got that mental picture of where things are and how to find them, the numeric scales don't matter.

Don't forget to double-check your cable fittings for corrosion. The symptoms you describe can be caused by that, too.

Thanks!

#1.
I was wrong. I have the twin LNB. Just like in the picture. Now it has an internal switch. How does that effect me? Do I have to do any switch test/ before or after alignment of the dish?

#2.
I connect the RG6 to the Left LNDF? where it says 119w. Does it matter where I connect.

#3.
I do have dish 300 (but not with me at the moment). Can that be used to catch 61.5W?...easier than dish 500?

Now i checked point dish on the menu.....Funny now the satellite selection has moved down to 119W, though the dish is in direction of 61.5W. Let the weather clear-up, I'll go and do the alignment again.

Thanks again!

viewsonic said:
Thanks!

#1.
I was wrong. I have the twin LNB. Just like in the picture. Now it has an internal switch. How does that effect me? Do I have to do any switch test/ before or after alignment of the dish?

#2.
I connect the RG6 to the Left LNDF? where it says 119w. Does it matter where I connect.

#3.
I do have dish 300 (but not with me at the moment). Can that be used to catch 61.5W?...easier than dish 500?

Now i checked point dish on the menu.....Funny now the satellite selection has moved down to 119W, though the dish is in direction of 61.5W. Let the weather clear-up, I'll go and do the alignment again.

Thanks again!

#1 the internal switch makes it tougher but not impossible. I would reccomend getting ahold of a dual lnb many here will have them I have them.

#2 It does not matter which connection you use

#3 yes use the 300 especially as I assume it has a dual lnb on it. If you then want to add dish programming all you would have to do is add your dish 500 pointing at 110 and 119 and a SW21 to combine the feeds and you then be seeing 3 satellites.

#4 you should be able to select 61.5 as a choice

rcwilcox said:
#2 It does not matter which connection you use
Actually, until a Check Switch is run, it DOES matter. IIRC, the LNBF acts like two singles until they're hit with a command from the receiver.

As for the rest, we all agree that using a good old Dish 300 will be easier.

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Unplugged power to the unit, and after 3 hours signal strength was 124. Do not know what happened, but working now, until next time. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts