Lost signal on 119

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Patterson

Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
I've had a Dish 500(119/110) and an older dish pointed at 61.5 using a SW21 leading to a 6000 receiver for over two years with no problems. A few days ago the signal on 119 dropped down into the forties then 0. I've rebooted and disconnected the input at the back of the receiver and I've run the check switch several times. Sometimes it recognizes all 3 satellites, sometimes 2, sometimes only 110. Even when it recognizes all 3 I still get 0 for signal strength for 119. Thanks for any suggestions.

I lost 119 on the 22nd. Signal sometimes 0, sometimes 40's. I also rebooted and did several check switches. 110 on the same Dish500 is in the mid to high 80's.

I had assumed I must have a hardware problem, but this is an odd coincidence.

First, check for moisture on outside connectors, especially those going in and out of the ground block. If moisture gets in there it will literally 'melt' the cpper contact wire and the signal will disapeear. It hadn't happened to me for about 5 years, but 2 weeks ago, i had to restrip and re-seal a coax for the same sympton.

possible fault

My signal strength began to fail about the time yours did. I moved into my place in January but when the leaves started popping out they got in the way. Was your dish in the same place last year? Are there any new obstructions in the line of sight?
Dishnet moved my dish free of charge because they shouldn't have installed it there in January and the signal works fine for my 2900 but now I'm having a different problem with my 501.
See Forum "501 lost signal on 119 & 110 "

I have had the same symptoms with 119. I moved my dish during the winter to a new spot. Signal was great all winter. About 3 weeks ago, I started getting dropouts on 119, especially on windy days. I had some tree branches in a "marginal" position, so trimmed them a couple of weeks ago. After trimming, I checked again and the signal was down to the 40's on most TPs. As the leaves kept coming out, the signal finally went to zero on 119. I assumed I still had a tree branch in the way, so last weekend I decided to move the dish again. (BTW, I have a DP twin that I'm waiting to install until I have my 921. I temporarily installed it last weekend to check to see if I had a bad LNB. It didn't work on the 301, either - got 110 fine, but no 119.) I'll move the dish this weekend and try again. I have so many trees that I don't have many options.

Brad

Power Loss

I'm using a 4' dish in Sonora (Mexico) and get 70 to 103 on 110. On 119, I can't get TP-6 (20-30 signal) and the rest are 40-60. Same antenna, same LNB, same cable, same receiver. No switch. I think they are having trouble with 119. The batteries might be dying and they may have reduced power. A year ago, 30" antennas worked fine down here...

bcshields said:
Isn't TP6 a spot beam on 119? I think that's where my Philly stations are on... let me check.
According to http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ and http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.html the Philadelphia 'big 7' are on 110-6s13 (TP 6, spot beam 13) along with 4 others.

119-6 is CONUS (Continental US) and has IFC, ESPCL, TDISN, DHLTH, FNC, NASA, TWC, TRAV, QVC, HBO2E, HBOSG, SHO-E, AUD17. That's 12 video plus 1 audio channel.

I found a spot beam chart for 110 here http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/echo8.gif

I tweeked the dish a little and locked transponder 6 on 119 with a signal strength of 38-40. Yes, spotbeaming is part of the problem, but a 4' antenna has 40db of gain..I'm about 250 miles south of the border...I'm coming off a DirectTV system which had MUCH stronger signals and no need for tuning two satelittes...

Fuelrod said:
I tweeked the dish a little and locked transponder 6 on 119 with a signal strength of 38-40. Yes, spotbeaming is part of the problem, but a 4' antenna has 40db of gain..I'm about 250 miles south of the border...I'm coming off a DirectTV system which had MUCH stronger signals and no need for tuning two satelittes...
Unh. Please refer to my last post. Spotbeaming is NOT the problem on 119. 110 has spotbeams. 119-6 is CONUS.

Batteries don't last forever....119 is an old bird. Echostar is fighting for their very survival. The shadow of primestar creeps closer. They seem to be concentrating on becoming the "HDTV Leader". Subscribers who order simple channel package changes wind up getting new receivers and in some cases antennas and LNB's "for future programming changes". Down where I am, I'm happy just getting the weather channel which is on 119/tp6, one of the sick transponders...

You're lost in the TV Matrix, Simon....The world extends FAR beyond CONUS....

TV and computers are two of the LEAST important things! The only reason TV exists is to sell product. The corporate pipeline to the consumer...

Fuelrod said:
You're lost in the TV Matrix, Simon....The world extends FAR beyond CONUS....

TV and computers are two of the LEAST important things! The only reason TV exists is to sell product. The corporate pipeline to the consumer...
I guess you're saying that from where YOU sit, CONUS is a "spotbeam". Well, that's OK - the rest of us will use the word definitions that we have mutually agreed upon.

And if you object to what you think TV's purpose is - why are you posting here? I think your tinfoil hat fell off. :eek: :p :D :rolleyes:

It's "Commercial television"...What other purpose could it possibly have??

Tell your legislators WHAT?? Do you really think they care what you think? You want legislative access, bring a checkbook! Legislation is product that you buy! That's why the city of Washington D.C. exists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)