Low cost replacement for VIP722k?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eaw7100

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
United States
I have a Dish VIP 722k whose hard drive failed. I got a refurb replacement from DISH which died within 24 hours. Just got a 2nd refurb replacement which is overheating and the fan is not turning on.

What is the cheapest replacement for the VIP 722k which will get me new hardware for two TV's? I am looking to split the HDMI cable into both TV 1 and 2 but will need a remote that can work from an adjacent room. Can the Hopper Duo remote work from an adjacent room? Or will I be forced to get a Joey for TV2? Can I upgrade to a Hopper Duo without a tech visit?

If both TVs can watch the same channel (you said you plan to split the HDMI cable to both TVs), I'd recommend buying a Wally and adding an external hard drive.
Yes, both TV's can watch same channel. However, doesn't Dish charge a monthly DVR fee even if I purchase my own Wally from Amazon?

What does Dish charge for the upgrade from the VIP 722k?

Yes, both TV's can watch same channel. However, doesn't Dish charge a monthly DVR fee even if I purchase my own Wally from Amazon?

There is a one time $40 charge for the DVR using your EHD. The Wally, unlike the 722, needs that external hard drive to give you DVR functions.

I have a Dish VIP 722k whose hard drive failed. I got a refurb replacement from DISH which died within 24 hours. Just got a 2nd refurb replacement which is overheating and the fan is not turning on.
Do you still have that first ViP722k with the failed hard drive? If so, and if you would feel comfortable opening it up and replacing the hard drive, I have a spare hard drive that I salvaged from my old ViP722k. I would be happy to send it to you, so you can try to fix your old ViP722k.

What is the cheapest replacement for the VIP 722k which will get me new hardware for two TV's? I am looking to split the HDMI cable into both TV 1 and 2 but will need a remote that can work from an adjacent room. Can the Hopper Duo remote work from an adjacent room? Or will I be forced to get a Joey for TV2? Can I upgrade to a Hopper Duo without a tech visit?
Keep in mind that those Hopper Duos also use refurbished hard drives from old ViP722k receivers. That was part of the appeal for Dish to manufacture the Hopper Duo in the first place, since they could do so at low cost, without needing to purchase a bunch of new hard drives to go in them.

With a Hopper Duo, your DVR fee will likely increase, if you had been grandfathered at the $7 rate for your ViP722k. Hopper Duo DVR fee is $10.

The remote for the Hopper Duo will work in another room. Dish will likely require a tech visit.

There is no monthly fee for the first Wally. If you would like to purchase one, I may be able to make you a deal this weekend.

I did the same thing last year, I swapped my old ViP out that was running several TVs for a Wally and couldn't be happier - just wish I had done it sooner. It feeds 3 TVs, no equipment or DVR fees. You can easily hook everything up yourself and should be able to purchase everything you need for around $120. The reduction in your Dish bill will offset the price for the new equipment in about a year, after that it's just pure savings.

There is no monthly fee for the first Wally. If you would like to purchase one, I may be able to make you a deal this weekend.
You can easily hook everything up yourself and should be able to purchase everything you need for around $120.
My deal will be priced way lower than that. I won't post the price here, but eaw7100 is welcome to send me a private message to find out.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does a Wally have component outputs on the back? The HDMI ports on our Panasonic plasma went out due to a nearby lightning strike, and we have been using the component connectors to keep an HD picture with our 722K. We are on our second refurb 722, which has been fine for a couple of years.

Reactions: TheKrell
Does a Wally have component outputs on the back?
Sadly, no. There are HDMI-to-Component adapters that would work for that, though. One time, I had a Wally connected to an older HDTV without any HDMI inputs. I didn't feel like spending the money for an adapter, so I was stuck in SD-only until I finally got enough money to buy a newer HDTV with HDMI inputs. The old HDTV died after awhile anyway, so buying the adapter would have been a waste of money for me.

Does a Wally have component outputs on the back? The HDMI ports on our Panasonic plasma went out due to a nearby lightning strike, and we have been using the component connectors to keep an HD picture with our 722K. We are on our second refurb 722, which has been fine for a couple of years.
I had the opposite problem. I bought a new 4K Roku TV to go on the component outputs of my H3. (Yes, I knew I couldn't get 4K from component outputs.) The new TV has no component inputs! So I bought an adapter that has been golden ever since.

Reactions: pattykay
It's not built-in, but it does work with all of the newer dual-tuner OTA USB adapters. Since the original post is comparing it to a ViP722k (which also requires a dual-tuner OTA module) that seems fair.
Thanks. It would be an added expense however today. No one is getting a 722k these days, as far as I'm aware.

Maybe I am missing something, why do you not get a Hopper3 you should be able to get some kind of deal? For a 2nd TV if it is a smart TV or you have pretty much any device such as an Amazon Fire or Roku there is the DishAnywhere App you can watch all the live TV and recorded shows.
The Hopper 3 is really pretty awesome 16 tuners and a 2TB drive.

My Daughter uses the App to watch shows from my Hopper and I also do it using the web site.

I know you mentioned an issue with HDMI for the Plasma unless you really love the deep blacks ( I do I have a Panasonic ) the power usage on the TV is huge buying a new 4K TV will save you money in the long run.

I used the Wally with an ota usb adapter + ext. hard drive to provide my Mom and Dad a receiver after their 722k receiver crapped out. The only problem was my Dad couldn't start his news from the dvr section if it had just started recording. I told him to just tune to the channel itself or start it over from the tv activity screen. This blew his mind . He could never figure it out. Once they changed over to Sling tv all my dad can say is I want DISH back. He can't figure out how to use the Amazon Fire stick remote . I gave him the Roku to use and he likes the remote better but still gripes about wanting DISH back . But my mom doesn't want to pay a higher price + the dvr fees. But my dad is now going on 83 and he hates changes.

Maybe I am missing something, why do you not get a Hopper3 you should be able to get some kind of deal?
Hopper 3 would be a $15 per month DVR fee. (The OP is trying to save money.) It would also be much more expensive to purchase a Hopper 3, if eaw7100 wants to go that route.

(For the record, I do have a purchased Hopper 3, though.)

For a 2nd TV if it is a smart TV or you have pretty much any device such as an Amazon Fire or Roku there is the DishAnywhere App you can watch all the live TV and recorded shows.
Sorry, no Dish Anywhere app on Roku, and a lot of those Smart TV's have Roku built-in. So, there is yet another one-time expense for a second device if you want to be able to use Dish Anywhere on your TV. (Another option would be to connect a laptop to the TV, and stream Dish Anywhere that way. Only certain browsers actually support Dish Anywhere, though, such as Chrome and, I think, Safari. So, that might be another hassle to deal with.)

The Hopper 3 is really pretty awesome 16 tuners and a 2TB drive.
If you don't actually use that many tuners, though, then there is no real benefit. You can easily add a 2TB drive to a Wally to have the same capacity. In fact, the Wally now supports up to a 4TB drive.

For a 2nd TV if it is a smart TV or you have pretty much any device such as an Amazon Fire or Roku there is the DishAnywhere App you can watch all the live TV and recorded shows.
FireTV does have the app. But I don't think any version of Roku devices have this.
Sorry, no Dish Anywhere app on Roku, and a lot of those Smart TV's have Roku built-in.
Yup. I thought there were some more recent Roku's where they fixed this disadvantage. But if so, I never understood which devices would work with DishAnywhere.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yup. I thought there were some more recent Roku's where they fixed this disadvantage. But if so, I never understood which devices would work with DishAnywhere.
It would have to be a Roku that supports a web browser, such as Chrome. So, it would still be a little bit clunky, having to open the browser and go to the Dish Anywhere website. As far as an actual Dish Anywhere app, that is a non-starter on any Roku, as far as I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)