Low local signal strength

parkman

Original poster
May 8, 2006
I have a Dish 500 system with DVR receiver. I am unable to obtain more than 65 to 68 on 119 spot beam 1 and 3. This is where my locals are.

The problem is, as I was told from DISH, that I was on the fringe of the footprint for those stations.

Would it help if I installed a larger dish such as the large Superdish or the smaller Dish 1000, which is still a little larger than my 500?

I have some of my locals on sat 148, but I do not receive these now and do not really need them.

A larger dish will capture more signal and give you a better strength. If you really want to improve it even more, use a separate larger dish for each orbital slot to maximize the strength.

parkman said:
I have a Dish 500 system with DVR receiver. I am unable to obtain more than 65 to 68 on 119 spot beam 1 and 3. This is where my locals are.

The problem is, as I was told from DISH, that I was on the fringe of the footprint for those stations.

Would it help if I installed a larger dish such as the large Superdish or the smaller Dish 1000, which is still a little larger than my 500?

I have some of my locals on sat 148, but I do not receive these now and do not really need them.

It is not up to the customers to install larger antennas to receive their local stations.
If Dish are telling you that you are on the fringe of the footprint for reception with a Dish 500 then it is up to them to improve their signal to you by whatever means possible.
There are quite a few people posting from all over the country that are receiving low signal levels with the new E10 satellite providing their locals.
If your picture starts degrading from rain storms that did not happen before I would certainly bring it to their attention and if necessary to the FCC.

jkinser said:
A larger dish will capture more signal and give you a better strength. If you really want to improve it even more, use a separate larger dish for each orbital slot to maximize the strength.

Sure ... however I want to know how much better my signal strength will be if I were to use an old VOOM dish (24" diameter) than my Dish500 dish (21" by 23" eliptical ...) if I were aiming directly at 110.

I would guess that the Dish500 would effectively give me something comparable to a 21" round dish for signal strength and I figure that it is the area of the dish that is proportional to signal strength, so the old VOOM dish would get me some 30% more signal.

Somehow I doubt that the signal strength monitor on my receiver works this way, however.

Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)