Loyal customer for 9 years and still can't get a deal!

Nah, it's not just you. I own an IT consulting company. It has gotten pretty bad in the past 2 years. Times are tough and people really want something for nothing these days.

I take really good care of my customers of 10+ years. It's always the new ones that want the free upgrades and free support, LOL.

I had one guy tell me we should backup and save all his data as a "courtesy" for his business..... Yeah, because he is giving us work, we should do it for free.... Needless to say, no business was done with that individual.

I always like asking those types of people if thay work for free? Why do they expect us to work for free if they won't. Service is something you have to pay for, especially if you want good service.

What bothers me about how Dish treats its long time, and particularly older customers who just watch the tv and don't come online to sites like this to know what is currently available, is all the customers that they are not providing local stations. These are people who signed up for Dish long before local stations were available, and/or when it cost extra to get them. Now they are a part of the standard packages, but they are still getting their locals from an antenna. My wife is a social worker who certifies and coordinates services that enable older people to stay in their homes. A few months ago when the ota signals went digital I went to several homes of her clients and set up their converter boxes. Almost all of them had Dish, but were getting their locals from an antenna. I mentioned to my wife that they really should be getting their locals from Dish, but they weren't my parents or grandparents, and it really isn't my, or her, place to be calling Dish to ask why the locals have not been added to their programming. My experience with Dish is nil to this point (except for signing up as a subscriber a couple of days ago), and has been with Primestar, DirecTV, and various cable co's. There is disagreement in this thread over whether someone who has been a sub for nine years should get new equipment free, but what about programming? When I've been a cable sub, if new channels become part of the standard package, or whatever package I sub to, I get them. I had DirecTV back when locals were an extra charge. But what about today?

What bothers me about how Dish treats its long time, and particularly older customers who just watch the tv and don't come online to sites like this to know what is currently available, is all the customers that they are not providing local stations. These are people who signed up for Dish long before local stations were available, and/or when it cost extra to get them. Now they are a part of the standard packages, but they are still getting their locals from an antenna. My wife is a social worker who certifies and coordinates services that enable older people to stay in their homes. A few months ago when the ota signals went digital I went to several homes of her clients and set up their converter boxes. Almost all of them had Dish, but were getting their locals from an antenna. I mentioned to my wife that they really should be getting their locals from Dish, but they weren't my parents or grandparents, and it really isn't my, or her, place to be calling Dish to ask why the locals have not been added to their programming. My experience with Dish is nil to this point (except for signing up as a subscriber a couple of days ago), and has been with Primestar, DirecTV, and various cable co's. There is disagreement in this thread over whether someone who has been a sub for nine years should get new equipment free, but what about programming? When I've been a cable sub, if new channels become part of the standard package, or whatever package I sub to, I get them. I had DirecTV back when locals were an extra charge. But what about today?

Locals are NOT part of the basic packages. They cost an additional 5 or 6 dollars a month to add on to the account.

And it's been my experience as a tech that most older people didn't want to spend that extra money if they're already were getting them for free thru an antenna.

A few months ago when the ota signals went digital I went to several homes of her clients and set up their converter boxes. Almost all of them had Dish, but were getting their locals from an antenna.
I'm sorry, but I'm having a difficult time believing that notion...that most elderly clients had Dish vs their local cable Co., especially with no locals.

Locals are NOT part of the basic packages. They cost an additional 5 or 6 dollars a month to add on to the account.

And it's been my experience as a tech that most older people didn't want to spend that extra money if they're already were getting them for free thru an antenna.
I looked more at the Dish site and see under local channels it says they are an extra $5. I had been looking at packages, and every one of those state that locals are included. I have no idea what these older people who have been subs for the last century are paying, but for them a $5 increase would be a hardship. That's why my wife is working with them. They have to income qualify for her to provide them services.

I'm a 10 year Dish subscriber and I think the Op got more than a great deal. Yes, it is frustrating that new customers get the best deals, but they do have upgrade deals for existing customers as well. I think that if one isn't satisfied with the existing customer upgrade deal, then jump ship and go to cable or DirecTV and get one of their great new customer deals. Otherwise, take what is offered or not and shut up about it. If you ran a business wouldn't you provide new customer deals, probably at a loss, to expand your clientele? Would you then offer those money losing deals to all of your existing customers? I didn't think so!

I ended up taking the original deal they offered.
CLASSIC SILVER 200 + HD + DVR for $57.99 with the 622

I still don't think I was being unreasonable but I don't necessarily fault Dish. Most every other Cable\Satellite company is guilty of the same tactics.

Again it wasn't like I my grams was a few months or a year into her contract. It has been 9 years people!

I think mobile carriers are a bit closer to treating new and old customers more equally with their system of upgrades. Generally after two years an existing customer can purchase whatever mobile device they like (at new customer pricing) when re-upping their service agreement. I suppose that I was carrying that mindset over to Dish and expecting them to operate similarly. I have also found that Cable companies tend to reward (or screw) both the new customer and the loyal customer equally.

All in all I am still enjoying Dish and have no complaints about their service. I am also loving the ability to "move" to my true local market in western NY/western PA area to watch my beloved Bills. I also love Dish's online technical support chat option and utilize it often!

Oh and for those of you wondering...grandma is loving her new DVR and programming. She called me today excitedly to tell me about the antique tractor shows she discovered on RFD and she said she loves listening to the Bluegrass and Gospel music on the Sirius music stations.

Last edited:
Good. Remember, we all got the new customer deals when WE signed up.

Indeed she knows not the difference. I wanted her to have exactly what I have so I can help her maneuver through it better. And the 722 learning remotes would be especially nice.

I wouldn't care so much if I living next door and could come over and help her whenever but I am states away and telling her to press 6, 1, 3 or something like that will be much easier than having her try to find this or that within the system Menu.

Also there is the 5$ a month...

Perhaps I am being nitpicky.

But I guess the point is that I had to barter and threaten for almost two hours just to get her to that point...
The operatiuon of the 622 and 722k are identical.
As a lease cusomer you are not entitled to new or the latest equipment .Especially when you are demanding a free upgrade.
If the install compnay happens to have 722k's in stock, that i swhst they will install. If they happen to have 622's, then it is that model they will install.
Now, you may have your grandmother TRY to cancel the account under the current name. She then can TRY to start a new account in her name. The address will be a challenge as will the phone number on the account. But there are ways to get around that as well.
She can use your address as the billing address and use hers as the physical address. Or she can simly use her mobile phone number as opposed to the land line.

This is a case of better deals to new customers and methodically screwing loyal customers of several years.

There are a lot of people that try to extort deals out of providers by threatening to leave- even though they have only been a customer a short while. This is obiously not the case.

Get off your horse, man! 9 YEARS not days..... And it has to go to csr roulette....

yes yes yes..it's all about you.
So If I am reading this correctly you think it's ok to extort stuff from vendors as long as they have been long time customers.
I suppose you're one of these people who think it's ok to take pens form the office or think shoplifting small items is no big deal. After all, it's just a pen..
Well guess what?, it adds up and adds up to big bucks.
So as you are celebrating your five finger discount we who are not self indulged pay more.Umm... not happening

Always have a stupid remark to peoples posts or am I just imaginings things? Are you one of the guys dish pays to belittle everyone. Ive read alot of your posts and it sure seems so. really getting old man!!!!

IS that an official functio of Dish? The belittleing department?
What is this? A Monty Python sketch

Being a business that sell appliances, TVs, and satellite, it gets extremely repetitive listening to people complain. Majority of people think everything should be free. I want a free upgrade, I want free delivery, whats your bottom dollar? It's crazy how bad people have gotten. I know times are a little tougher but this is getting old. Getting harder and harder to make people happy. Maybe it's just me.
In general, people are becoming more high maintenence. They are shopping almost exclusively on price. Value has gone out of service.
People expect much more for much less.
This seems especially true when tv is involved.,
It is getting tougher and tougher to get people to pay for legitimate work and material use.
People must understand that service comes at a price.
You cannot walk into WalMart and expect Nordstroms service.

I always like asking those types of people if thay work for free? Why do they expect us to work for free if they won't. Service is something you have to pay for, especially if you want good service.
Noticing the town you hail from. Is the "Field of Dreams" attraction still in existence?

So If I am reading this correctly you think it's ok to extort stuff from vendors as long as they have been long time customers.
I suppose you're one of these people who think it's ok to take pens form the office or think shoplifting small items is no big deal. After all, it's just a pen..
So as you are celebrating your five finger discount we who are not self indulged pay more.Umm... not happening
Making the jump from wanting to negotiate a better deal to petty larceny is quite a leap. I don't see the problem with wanting to get the best deal possible.

My own opinion about the base of the conflicting attitudes we see in this thread is the crazy business model the satellite providers have developed. They are getting their cake and eating it too. In the beginning they sold the equipment. Except for Primestar, which leased it. I started with Primestar and some of you still on this forum thought people like me who paid a monthly lease for my equipment were idiots. The only way to go was to own your own equipment. How many of you still own your own equipment. AFAIK, everybody with either Dish or DirecTV is now paying a lease fee every month. Yet unless you are a "new customer" you have to pay a what appears to many something that looks like you are paying for a box that you then have to pay a monthly rental fee on. And then, after you have had that piece of equipment for 2 or 4 or 8 years, you can't trade it in on a new and upgraded box, you have to pay another lump sum for the privilege of renting that box. If Dish or DirecTV wants to rent them, they should rent them, or they should go back to selling them, but people have a hard time understanding why they have to buy them AND rent them. If you have cable, you don't pay an upfront fee. The satellite co's want to have the revenue stream they did when they were selling the equipment, plus the revenue stream the cable co's get from renting their equipment.

Right now, I'm getting a good deal because I just signed up with Dish as an actual real live new customer (although I could have done the same with DirecTV, since its been 6 years and three states since I was one of their subs.) I'm switching because the really good deal Mediacom gave me four years ago had gone away, and they were going to tack on another $6 next month. Plus, they provide no regional sports channels in my community whatsoever. Qwest is glad to be getting me back, and in fact rather that penalizing me for leaving them 3 1/2 years ago, they are giving me a special break FOR COMING BACK TO THEM. (there's something that Dish or DirecTv might want to consider). But in another four years, if Dish and Qwest aren't doing it for me again, I'll reevaluate again.

OBLIVIOUSLY you were not reading correctly. :mad: drink a beer and chill out. You are too quick to post.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts