LSU vs Ohio St.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Who will win the BCS championship?

• Ohio St.

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • LSU

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
I think you might be missing a key point. The list I posted counts every time an SEC team plays ANYWHERE outside the Southeastern region, not just in Big 10 country. This includes Pac 10 country, Big 12 country (excluding Texas), Big 10 country, etc. A comparable list for the Big 10 would count not only visits to the Southeast, but visits to any state outside of Big 10 country (this is not a warm weather vs. cold weather comparison). With that being said, the list for the Big 10 teams would look nothing like that SEC list. As I already mentioned, with every bowl season there are ~4-7 teams playing outside of Big 10 country. (I don't think it's appropriate to throw out the bowl games from this list just because the SEC teams can't control the locations. It is what it is--long trips for Big 10 teams and in most cases games in SEC country for SEC teams). Throw in the home-and-home series with teams from other conferences and its obvious that the Big 10 plays WAY more games far away from home than the SEC. If you really think about this you will realize that you don't need to see the numbers for the Big 10 teams.

If you insist on throwing out the bowl games from the list, then I grant you that the disparity would not be as striking. However, I still feel strongly that the Big 10 plays more OOC matchups away from Big 10 country than the SEC does away from SEC country. I will look for data to back this up.

In any case, I only posted this information because I saw that SEC fans were trying to argue that they leave the comfort of their home region just as much as teams from any other conference. Do you know why people are bashing the SEC for this? Because it's the only thing people can think of to criticize the conference right now! There is no doubt that the SEC is the strongest conference and the envy of all of college football! So you might as well take pride in the fact that fans of other conferences have to nitpick to find flaws. ;)

Got it. :up :)

Ok, so I'm taking this thread back off topic again. As a Tennessee fan, the most painful loss in recent memory was to LSU in the SEC championship game in 2001. The Vols were #2 in the nation, had just beaten a top 5 Florida team in the swamp, and were one victory away from taking on Miami in the Rose Bowl. After the loss, Tennessee was bumped to the Citrus Bowl where they won their only meeting with Michigan 45-17. I cheer for LSU in every game when they are not playing the Vols, though (both parents grew up in Louisiana and I lived there in grade school).

I remember that one. My wife went to CU, and she and the rest of those Buffalo fans thought that loss by Tennessee would put CU in the BCSCG. The entire time I lived in Denver, that was the only time I heard her friends say anything nice about LSU, or anyone in the SEC for that matter. Then, their big rival Nebraska snuck in the big game instead - ouch. :mad: You could see the seething hatred in all of their eyes.

And for their reward, LSU got to stomp the Big10 Conference Champ in the Sugar Bowl (their corner)! ;) :)

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The other day, like millions of Americans, I watched college football's national championship game. Alas, I must have been watching on a broken TV.

I saw a team, Ohio State, outgain its opponent by two yards per play. I saw that same team lose anyway because its opponent, Louisiana State, played a much more disciplined, fundamentally sound game.

I saw LSU commit only one turnover while Ohio State essentially committed four: three that were official and one on a roughing-the-punter penalty that allowed LSU to keep the ball. I saw the Buckeyes have a field goal blocked and commit five -- yes, five -- personal fouls.

Based on all that, I had no doubt that LSU deserved to win.

Now, two days later, I'm still annoyed by that stupid broken TV. Apparently, I didn't see the same game as many of my colleagues around the country. They saw:

1. Conclusive proof that the Big Ten's best teams do not have as much talent as the best Southeastern Conference teams.

2. Evidence that Ohio State, which got creamed by Florida in last year's title game, does not belong in any championship game. The Buckeyes, they say, are an inferior team that steamrolls a weak conference every year, simply because the Buckeyes have almost learned to run on two feet while the rest of the Big Ten still crawls on all fours.

Well now. Maybe they are right. The SEC, after all, is 11-4 in Bowl Championship Series games and the Big Ten is 8-9.

But I don't think they are right.

I think they have all bought into the SEC Myth.

Before I explain the SEC Myth, let me explain what the SEC Myth is not. If you think the SEC is usually the best conference in the country, that is not the SEC Myth. That's a perfectly reasonable, rational opinion.

No. The SEC Myth is the argument that the SEC is far superior to other conferences; that it is the best league in the country every year; that the best SEC teams are always better than the best Big Ten teams; and that the SEC is always deeper than the Big Ten.

The SEC Myth states that Ohio State simply does not have the talent to beat teams like Florida and LSU.

You probably know some SEC Mythologists. They are all over the place -- except, apparently, in the NFL.

Since 2000, NFL teams have drafted 59 Ohio State Buckeyes. Twenty-eight of those 59 were first-day picks -- guys drafted in the first three rounds.

No SEC team can match that. Not one.

The top talent producer in the SEC (by draft picks) is Tennessee, which has had 50 players chosen and 27 on the first day.

Since 2000, the 11 Big Ten teams have produced an average of 26.8 draft picks per school. The 12 SEC teams have produced 27.3 picks per school. That is half a player per school over an eight-year period. So it's basically a wash.

Over those eight years, the average SEC team has produced 12.6 first-day draft picks. The average Big Ten team has produced 10.6. In other words, the typical SEC team has produced one extra first-day pick every four years compared with a typical Big Ten counterpart.

Does that sound like a huge talent gap?

Did you know that Michigan State, a second-tier Big Ten team since 2000, has produced as many NFL draft picks (28) as SEC power Auburn? Hey, it surprised the heck out of me. But it's true. (All draft stats are courtesy of the incredibly comprehensive drafthistory.com.)

Propagators of the SEC Myth point out that Ohio State is 0-9 against the SEC but fail to mention that Michigan's Lloyd Carr was 5-2 in bowls against SEC teams. (This lends a rock-paper-scissors quality to the discussion: The SEC beats Jim Tressel, Tressel beats Carr, and Carr beats the SEC.)

SEC Mythologists don't mention that the top three teams in the Big Ten all played road games this bowl season: Ohio State faced Louisiana State in Louisiana, Illinois faced Southern California in southern California, and Michigan faced Florida in Florida.

The logic behind the SEC Myth is self-perpetuating. When Kentucky beats LSU, it is held up as proof of SEC depth. When Northwestern beats Michigan, people say the Big Ten is weak.

If you believe in the SEC Myth, you believe that SEC teams face an unfair path to get to the national championship game because their conference is so demanding that it's almost impossible to get through it unscathed.

But if you believe that, you have to ignore this:

The Big Ten and SEC play two bowl games against each other every year, in Orlando and Tampa. This is where the conferences send their top two non-BCS teams. If the SEC is really so much deeper, then that conference should dominate those two games.

Yet in the BCS era, the Big Ten has won 11 of those games, the SEC nine.

Remember: In that era, the Big Ten has sent 17 teams to BCS games, while the SEC has sent 15. Three times, the Big Ten sent its third- and fourth-place teams to Florida to play the second- and third-place teams from the SEC. The SEC only had to deal with that once.

Anyway, congrats to Louisiana State, the 2007 BCS champion.

And congrats to the SEC, which -- I mean this sincerely -- is probably the best conference in America, by a small margin.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com.
You guys may find this interesting.

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The other day, like millions of Americans, I watched college football's national championship game. Alas, I must have been watching on a broken TVAnyway, congrats to Louisiana State, the 2007 BCS champion....

...And congrats to the SEC, which -- I mean this sincerely -- is probably the best conference in America, by a small margin.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com.
You guys may find this interesting.

This is why Michigan needs to take over the reigns of the Big10. tOSU is creating a false perception in the eyes of the media. ;)

Good find Paul. :up

Good article, Paul. Very good points.

For the Big Ten to recover from the SEC myth, they will have to perform on the biggest stage (the BCS) in years to come. The last two years, the Big Ten has lost four BCS games by a combined score of 160-73. That's an average score of about 40-18. The Big Ten champion has also been embarrassed two years in a row by the SEC champion. The SEC on the other hand has outscored their opponents 161-62 in their last four BCS bowls. On the biggest stage in college football over the last two years, the SEC has dominated. Does this mean that every SEC team will beat every other team in any other conference? Of course not, but you can see how the "SEC myth" has perpetuated.

How many decided to stay and do it again ?
Ohio State had at least 4-5 players that are NFL caliber decide to stay this year .....
That has to say alot about Coach Tressel.
Not all good things to say. It could mean that he still couldn't beat LSU (and Florida last year) using NFL caliber players.

I know it won't.
When my team loses, I put the blame on them.
At least when Michigan loses, you blame them.

Unfortunately there are those who blame everything except their own team.

Not really. While I do blame Michigan, when we lose, most Michigan fans are notorious whiners, and blame shifters. Referee's being the most prevalent target. It's embarrassing sometimes, listening to some of my fellow fans.:D

I agree Derwin0 if this game was won by a field goal or even a TD, I could live with the excuses.. but this was a complte domination of OSU by LSU no excuse needed. They got their ass handed to them.

How many decided to stay and do it again ?
Ohio State had at least 4-5 players that are NFL caliber decide to stay this year .....
That has to say alot about Coach Tressel.

Jimbo

I know of 3 that stayed at LSU.

I agree, some coaches actually make the effort to get it through to some of these kids that a degree is just as important as their football aspirations (they're not just trying to keep them on the team), and it's working. They're made to understand just how hard it is to sustain a pro career.

I agree Derwin0 if this game was won by a field goal or even a TD, I could live with the excuses.. but this was a complte domination of OSU by LSU no excuse needed. They got their ass handed to them.

stevenl,

I'm just as much of an LSU fan as anybody, probably more of a fanatic (ask my poor wife and kids), and for a lot longer. LSU played as well on offense as they have all year, and got some breaks by OSU shooting themselves in the foot with misplays and personal fouls (3 that were without question as shown on replay, one replayed at a bad angle that looked questionable, and one not shown at all but had 3 flags thrown because of it). LSU took advantage of this, and with their superior talent and the backing of a dominant fanbase, made the most of it after falling behind early. That said, they still left openings for OSU to get back in it, but luckily for us, the Buckeyes didn't execute (dropped passes and missed blocking a punt). The score could have been closer (look at the stats, no domination and no asses handed to anyone).

That's the way I saw the game. Now why not tone it down a little, OK? ;)

And Geaux Tigers!!!

OSU got man handled. 2 years in a row. that game looked like LSU was playing some highschool team. LSU had their way with OSU in both Offense and Defense. The score does not tell the whole story because those last 2 scores by OSU looked like LSU had just given up and were ready to celebreate Specially that last TD the defense was walking off the field before he scored! as if to say "Here ya go take it we already won"

But either way, to say it was not a total domination would be fooling yourself.

OSU got man handled. 2 years in a row. that game looked like LSU was playing some highschool team. LSU had their way with OSU in both Offense and Defense. The score does not tell the whole story because those last 2 scores by OSU looked like LSU had just given up and were ready to celebreate Specially that last TD the defense was walking off the field before he scored! as if to say "Here ya go take it we already won"

But either way, to say it was not a total domination would be fooling yourself.
Don't forget that the first touchdown wasn't even an offensive score, it was a kickoff return.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts