Luken KU feeds leaving soon?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lets say the Ku feeds cost $300,000 a year and Luken loses 10 stations by dropping the feed. Do they not make at least $30,000 a year from each market to cover the cost? Sounds like an arrogant or foolish move to me.

Hmmm! I see that wzme the station i get around here for MeTv is on the list of low power.They also carry RTV on a sub channel which i cant get due to no cable broadcast.Yesterday and on a few other days the digital on wzme was breaking up horribly which make me think they use a small dish to recieve metv on 101w but the sig was doing fine here on my 6 ftr yesterday.Not sure what dish wzme uses for its RTV broadcasts.Hopefully Luken will get a more reliable signal from its c band on 87w! forget about 137w here on the east coast due to its low elevation LOS.Maybe Luken can go back to those old tps on 87 so i and many others with a 6 ftr can get them again.

If its to save money couldnt Luken pick just one C band satellite to broadcast to the east and west coast while keeping its 83 ku running for the stations that only use KU.

Luken has always done custom feeds for each affiliate, and this adds up in bandwidth charges, as compared to using national or individual time zone feeds. Me TV and Antenna TV only have an East Coast feed on satellite, and seem to be doing quite well. If I was Luken, I would have two tiers of service---customized for each affiliate, and a feed for each time zone. They could cut back on the transponder space required, and let the affiliates willing to pay a premium for customized service do so----while having a generic feed for any other station in that part of the country to purchase at a standard rate, inserting all of their own local ads and programming. AND put it up with sufficient strength to be reliable on a 3 meter antenna for the average affiliate installation.

Luken has always done custom feeds for each affiliate, and this adds up in bandwidth charges, as compared to using national or individual time zone feeds. Me TV and Antenna TV only have an East Coast feed on satellite, and seem to be doing quite well. If I was Luken, I would have two tiers of service---customized for each affiliate, and a feed for each time zone. They could cut back on the transponder space required, and let the affiliates willing to pay a premium for customized service do so----while having a generic feed for any other station in that part of the country to purchase at a standard rate, inserting all of their own local ads and programming. AND put it up with sufficient strength to be reliable on a 3 meter antenna for the average affiliate installation.

More than half of the Retro TV affiliates are not receiving custom feeds, and none of the other Luken networks get such custom feeds (except WSMV/TNN).

- Trip

If its to save money couldnt Luken pick just one C band satellite to broadcast to the east and west coast while keeping its 83 ku running for the stations that only use KU.

how would the west coast and more so Hawaii get the feeds?
Hawaii has custom feeds for the time zone

101w is a slot in the center of the arc. While low on the horizon, it has a footprint into Hawaii most of Southern Alaska. It is quite high in the arc for east and west Conus and desirable real estate. Center of the arc satellites are usually limited bandwidth and quite more expensive than the side sats.

Im guessing that the low power stations that use rtv ku are in the eastern part of the country.l wouldnt think that the cost would be that great to get a c band set up.

Last edited:
If I remember right affiliates on the west coast have a computer setup that records the master feed and plays it back on a 3 hour delay automatically
I wasn't going to mention this silly idea, but since your comment, maybe it's not so silly after all.

With two channels, you could have the master feed on one.
Obviously, you could custom delay for each time zone, if desired!

On the second channel, you could carry all the customization.
Between national adverts and repeat adverts, I don't see a challenge. ;)

edit: and if all the stations were off the air from 2am to 5am local time, maybe you could get away transmitting the custom adverts in the one main channel.

Last edited:
So what are the odds of me getting 87W with a 8' mesh and a newer C band LNB from central New York State using a
blue UPCOM UC-IRD+ Multi-mode receiver/decoder?
Thanks

If i can get RTV on freq 4000 most of the time with a 6 ftr and a ku/c combo LNB i would say your chances are good.I dont know if mr Luken is going to keep that freq and get rid of 3920 which i cant get most of the time.

I know it was mentioned once before with MeTV
If each "station" had its own computer to adjust the time delay for the local time zone, maybe it could download custom adverts through the Internet.
Then, only one satellite channel would be needed, further reducing costs.

AND, let's say commercials changed monthly... Luken could mail out a DVD! ;)

most larger stations have local inserts.
Here in Minneapolis on MeTV, ThisTV, AntennaTV and LiveWell (all are on stations owned by same folks) we get commercials for each other along with ABC (which is the main station). So its funny to see a "MeTV" commercial on AntennaTV :)

Its the other stations who want an option for a subchannel (or a main channel) and "forget it" (ie: dont need to do anything)

Have had many purchases of the WELL AV UMH-160 IRDs the past few weeks to prep for the KU shut-off. Some requested expedited shipping. Not sure if that means the shut-off is happening soon or the engineer was in a hurry to get a new toy! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts