Madden 12 Demo . What do you think?

televisionarchives

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I think this is one of the best Madden games yet. I know it's just a demo but they seem to have really put some major improvements to this game. The game play is better and it flows like a real football game.

I can agree with the complaints of ice skating, and after playing so much NCAA 12 in the last month it will take some getting used to, but it's the franchise improvements that we can't see yet with the demo that I am looking forward to most.

Really wish the controls were the same in the 2 games...

Madden 12 looks fantastic, each version of Madden has always impressed me more than the previous in it's own way, so I'm rarely disappointed other than the glacial pace at which offline franchise has been updated.

Got an email from a NFL 2k series player. He loves it. He's hated every Madden before this one. He thinks they may have got it right this time.

I played the demo for the PS3 and thought it looked and played fantastic. But for some reason there was no booth audio commentary. Was it because it was a demo? Also, the difficulty seemed ramped up to me compared to Madden 11. I played the demo on Pro (the default) and struggled to win as the Packers. Though I know I'm a bit rusty, on Madden 11 on Pro difficulty I probably win that same match up by at least 30 points. I wonder if the improved defense AI has anything to do with it. (Chicago didn't fare well either offensively.)

I played the demo for the PS3 and thought it looked and played fantastic. But for some reason there was no booth audio commentary. Was it because it was a demo? Also, the difficulty seemed ramped up to me compared to Madden 11. I played the demo on Pro (the default) and struggled to win as the Packers. Though I know I'm a bit rusty, on Madden 11 on Pro difficulty I probably win that same match up by at least 30 points. I wonder if the improved defense AI has anything to do with it. (Chicago didn't fare well either offensively.)

No audio commentary in demo. It will be in the full game. I've heard from others that it's a tougher game to play.

*Full Disclosure* I think the last GOOD NFL game came in the form of NFL2k5. It was priced to compete ($30) and explored a lot of options that have yet to be emulated by other football games by other publishers.

Madden 12 is just another entry in the increasingly stagnant series that used to represent innovation that is now sitting comfortably on its laurels as the only show in town and thus charging people the required $60 entry fee to suck off on it's collective teat. That's not to say that the game is BAD... EA has been at this game for a number of years (even programming the old school Joe Montana game for the Sega Genesis) and their experience has shown. But really, if this demo demonstrates anything, it's that Madden and all EA Sports games should be released in 2 year increments, with a cheap $10 roster upgrade per year to tide people over until the next year. Basic rule: Unless you care deeply about a roster update and are too lazy to fix it yourself in the game, then I suppose the new Madden is worth your time. If you were satisfied with the last game, there is NO reason to support EA Sports completely unfair NFL Monopoly. That said, if this game is a representative of the final product, you will not view Madden 12 as a "failure" purchase as far as gameplay goes. Just remember, at the end of the day, you're basically PAYING Electronic Arts for something that you should be getting for no more than $10.

*Full Disclosure* I think the last GOOD NFL game came in the form of NFL2k5. It was priced to compete ($30) and explored a lot of options that have yet to be emulated by other football games by other publishers.

I agree with many of your points but this game appears to be a big step forward .I loved 2k5 and even the All Pro 2k8 game . But this game is fantastic so far. This version of the game is nothing like Madden 11. This is the first time I've felt like I'm really playing the real game. While the verdict is still out on what the full game is like I give them credit for what they've done here. It's a big improvement .

NFL exclusivity isn't a monopoly, the other producers of football games have just declined to compete. Backbreaker and All Pro Football 2k8 were incomplete and in some cases broken games. Also, NFL2k5 was $20.

I buy Madden every year because it's by far the most time I get for my money, EA's ineptness is often greately overstated. There has never been a year where the game is only a roster update.

This year I'll be taking it a step further, and paying $25 for the Season Ticket program, which will let me download Madden and 4 other titles 3 days before they're available in retail (after release the download is unusable and you have to purchase it), will receive a discount on DLC, and access to other web content for free.

I play Madden and NCAA all year, going back and forth, until the followup to one of them is released. That's exponentially more play time I get for my money in a day and age of single player 5-10 hour games.

yourbeliefs;2607831 Basic rule: [B said:
Unless you care deeply about a roster update and are too lazy to fix it yourself in the game, then I suppose the new Madden is worth your time.[/B] ... Just remember, at the end of the day, you're basically PAYING Electronic Arts for something that you should be getting for no more than $10.

I too wish there was a two-year cycle for this with a roster update in between. And believe me, since I only play offline, I am trying to get by with changing the roster myself, but the results are disappointing at best. While I can move all the released players down to the bottom of my favorite team's depth chart, I see no way of adding big free agent acquisitions, much less this year's crop of draftees and undrafted free agents--not to mention doing the same for all the other teams. I am also unable to play this year's NFL schedule in franchise mode (I can only play the same match-ups in exhibition mode.)

With that said, the primary reason I'm still on the fence about getting Madden 12 is that I have a huge backlog plus preorders in for other higher-priority games this fall (Batman and Uncharted 3 for starters).

Yeah I liked 2011 so far but have not tried 2012 demo yet but I'm glad now I pre-order a copy.

I think it is great. But, for me, this won't be a simple roster update as the last one I bought was Madden '09 and I pre-ordered it several days before it came out. Even from a demo of '12, I can see a lot of positives. At one time I bought the game yearly until becoming frustrated over the lack of new features and the feeling that I was purchasing nothing more but an updated roster. I think '12 might be one of the better attempts yet from what I have seen and read in previews so I'm excited to receive my copy.

I now have it preordered. First one in several years for me.

Ramy said:
I now have it preordered. First one in several years for me.

Same here. I have actually bought the NCAA installment more lately - I bought the past three years ('09, '10, '11) but as I said above, this is my first Madden since '09.

To be honest...
Its garbage and its the same thing ever year.
NFL needs to pull their heads out of *****.
They need to let 2k Games make NFL so there is real competition and improvements to the game every year.
Madden hasn't improved for *****t for the last 3 years now.

To be honest...
Its garbage and its the same thing ever year.
NFL needs to pull their heads out of *****.
They need to let 2k Games make NFL so there is real competition and improvements to the game every year.
Madden hasn't improved for *****t for the last 3 years now.

I can understand complaining about the glacial pace of some changes, but to say there are none is the surest sign of a nostalgic 2k fanboy.

No reason to expect anything of quality from 2k several years after their last good title (APF2k8 was a failure on a number of levels).

I can understand complaining about the glacial pace of some changes, but to say there are none is the surest sign of a nostalgic 2k fanboy.

No reason to expect anything of quality from 2k several years after their last good title (APF2k8 was a failure on a number of levels).

APF2k8 was not that bad. It wasn't any different thought from 2k5 in overall graphics or game-play but it wasn't bad.

APF2k8 was not that bad. It wasn't any different thought from 2k5 in overall graphics or game-play but it wasn't bad.

No franchise mode made it inferior to almost every football game ever made out of the box, and it was a almost a straight port of the 2k5 engine to new consoles, which is why it wasn't any different.

Fans spoke with their wallets, the vaunted 2k managed to drum up all of 380k sales for the title.

Madden which defines the size of the football market sold 7.46m that year.

Even the last good 2k game in 2005 didn't do that well against Madden, even at a $20 price point at just under 3.5m units sold, it was outsold a little less than 2:1.

No franchise mode made it inferior to almost every football game ever made out of the box, and it was a almost a straight port of the 2k5 engine to new consoles, which is why it wasn't any different.

Fans spoke with their wallets, the vaunted 2k managed to drum up all of 380k sales for the title.

Madden which defines the size of the football market sold 7.46m that year.

Even the last good 2k game in 2005 didn't do that well against Madden, even at a $20 price point at just under 3.5m units sold, it was outsold a little less than 2:1.

I can't help it if there are a bunch of lemmings out there buying the same crap year in and year out. I won't do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)